• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanksgiving 2021: Uplifting Stories

A Heartwarming Thanksgiving Story:
    https://mygoodtimestories.com/2013/1...sgiving-story/
    Complete Article from mygoodtimestories.com:

A blind boy sat on the steps of a building with a hat by his feet. He held up a sign which said: “I am blind, please help.”

There were only a few coins in the hat.

A man was walking by. He took a few coins from his pocket and dropped them into the hat. He then took the sign, turned it around, and wrote some words. He put the sign back so that everyone who walked by would see the new words.

Soon the hat began to fill up. A lot more people were giving money to the blind boy. That afternoon the man who had changed the sign came to see how things were.

The boy recognized his footsteps and asked, “Were you the one who changed my sign this morning? What did you write?”

The man said, “I only wrote the truth. I said what you said but in a different way.” I wrote: “Today is a beautiful day but I cannot see it.”

Both signs told people that the boy was blind. But the first sign simply said the boy was blind. The second sign told people that they were so lucky that they were not blind. Should we be surprised that the second sign was more effective?

Moral of the Story: Be thankful for what you have. Be creative. Be innovative. Think differently and positively. When life gives you a 100 reasons to cry, show life that you have 1000 reasons to smile. Face your past without regret. Handle your present with confidence. Prepare for the future without fear. Keep the faith and drop the fear.

The most beautiful thing is to see a person smiling. And even more beautiful, is knowing that you are the reason behind it!

Happy Thanksgiving to all!
    "The Yankee is one who, if he once gets his teeth set on a thing, all creation can't make him let go." Ralph Waldo Emerson

A Yankees Thanksgiving Lesson:
    https://yanksgoyard.com/2014/11/27/y...giving-lesson/
    Complete Article from yanksgoyard.com:

It was on a Thanksgiving weekend, many years ago, that I first heard Tony proclaim his love for the Yankees. ¨I´m gonna run out on that Yankee Stadium field,¨ he told me. ¨You´re gonna hear them call out my name in the Yankees lineup.¨

It wasn´t over the river and through the woods, but rather on the New Jersey turnpike that brought me to Grandmother´s house that Thanksgiving. Tony had come to visit as part of a church program that arranged for underprivileged youth to share Thanksgiving with church families.

For Grandma, it was a chance to teach me about life, and she had specifically requested a boy who loved the Yankees the way she knew I did. As I was to find out, Tony loved Mickey Mantle just like me. And he could rattle off all of the Yankees´ statistics from the back of baseball cards the way that I thought only I could do.

We quickly learned so much about each other. We threw snow balls and rode down a steep hill on a toboggan. We sat by the fireplace and drank hot chocolate. We talked about Joe Pepitone and Ralph Houk.

You could say that we were almost exactly the same, with one exception. He was black and I was white. But that made no difference to us. All we cared about was that we both loved the Yankees. We didn´t see black or white, we saw only pinstripes.

And over those few days of that Thanksgiving break we learned a lot of things. We learned that we both had dreams and the capacity to love and aspire. We learned that inside, there really wasn´t much difference between us. Then, as quickly as Tony came, the church van picked him up and took him away. I can still see him waving good bye wearing his Yankee cap and ear muffs.

I don´t know if Tony ever made the Yankees. But this Thanksgiving, I wonder, as he turns his television on, what he thinks about what he sees. A young man has died, and property is being destroyed.

I´m not looking to analyze what happened here. But I wish I could know if Tony wonders, since the young man was black and the policeman was white, if the insufficient progress that has been made in race relations during our lives is now gone?

It doesn´t have to be. We can respect each other and continue to build the bridge that Jackie Robinson and so many others has started . We can keep working at it, regardless of how far we have to go.

Wherever you are Tony, I wish you and your family a very Happy Thanksgiving.
    "The Yankee is one who, if he once gets his teeth set on a thing, all creation can't make him let go." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Comment

EDITORIAL: Grateful for our blessings, for the people who give:
      https://dailygazette.com/2021/11/24/...ople-who-give/
      Complete Article from dailygazette.com;

Be grateful for gratitude.
      That sounds like something old New York Yankees sage Yogi Berra might say.
      But as we take this one special day out of our year to give thanks, gratitude is a gift we can share.
      We at The Gazette like to run letters to the editor and High Notes in which people thank strangers for doing something nice for them.

One person wrote recently to thank postal workers and all the delivery people who make sure we get our packages and gifts all year long.
      The writer pointed out their long hours and difficult work, and just wanted to convey his thanks and to invite others to share their gratitude for their service.

Another wrote recently to thank Schenectady police for their concern and sensitivity after their son died unexpectedly of a medical condition.
      It was a difficult day, and the officers went beyond their tasks at hand to be extra kind to a grieving family.
      Even in their distress, they wanted to say how they appreciated the effort.

The class advisers for the Johnstown Class of 2022 in a letter over the summer thanked those who made the recent prom so special for the school’s juniors and seniors, noting that students have had a long, hard year and that the volunteers’ commitment to the children in the community was truly appreciated.

One woman from Rotterdam was grateful for the patience and helpfulness of a store employee who helped her resolve an issue with a grocery delivery.
      The writer didn’t expect the employee to even call her back, much less ensure the delivery of all the groceries, along with a gift certificate for her troubles. She called this employee “an angel.”

Gratitude is sometimes most satisfying when it’s unexpected.

In a recent High Notes column —in which each Monday we highlight the good works being done in our community — the grandchild of a woman who fell in a local store wanted to thank the anonymous patron who called for help and who comforted her grandmother until the ambulance arrived.
      The granddaughter said in a Facebook post that the family was not only grateful for the patron’s assistance, but also for making sure that their grandmother knew she wasn’t alone in her time of distress.

These are the kinds of actions that we often take for granted.

Someone holding a door while we’re carrying an armload of packages.

A fellow driver letting us into traffic after we’ve been sitting their forever.

A delivery person making sure the package is left inside the door so it won’t get wet.

The thing we have to remember is that nobody is obligated to do anything for us.

Members of the military, firefighters, police and other emergency responders take on their dangerous responsibility because they care about people, and are willing to put their lives on the line because of it.

Doctors and nurses and other medical professionals don’t often get into their positions for the money, and whatever they’re making is very likely not enough for the skills and stress of their jobs.
      They don’t always have to be so patient and understanding of our situation. But boy do we need them to be.

Delivery people, store employees, government workers, strangers in the produce aisle, they could all just go about their business. But they stop to help.

Have you seen what school teachers have to deal with these days?
      These super-heroes don’t turn it off when the final bell rings for the day. The job was difficult in the past, but it isn’t even close to what it was two years ago.

Think of all the volunteers working in soup kitchens delivering or serving Thanksgiving dinner to those less fortunate today.
      Think of anyone who volunteers in their community, whether it be staffing the grill at a charity barbecue, attending to others in their church or community group, collecting food at a food drive or dressing up as Santa at the downtown festival to put a smile on the faces of children.

We’re so lucky we have people for whom to show gratitude that gratitude itself is a gift.

For all the people in our lives —family members, friends and complete strangers — who take the time to make our lives a little easier, a little safer or a little more special, today is for you.

Happy Thanksgiving to all.
      We hope you’ll take time to count your blessings, whatever they may be, no matter how big or small.

Life itself is a blessing.

And remember to thank those who give selflessly of themselves.
      We are so grateful for all you do.

Comment

Working...
      X