Another day, another mass shooting in America

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by YFIB View Post

The culture may be the biggest problem, and it's gotten noticeably worse in recent years. As we see with the Michigan shooting, as guns have become more commonplace, precautions aren't being taken by many, and they're just another accessory. Sure, the Michigan shooter may be a particularly bad example, but we've seen plenty of "patriots" with assault rifles mishandling them in public.
    I think it's a combination of gun culture and gun industry. The industry keeps making the weapons better at killing people, a lot of people. For some reason this is allowed to keep ramping up.
    Polite Red Sox fan

Comment

The school’s concerns grew more acute the morning of the shooting. The Crumbleys had been summoned to a meeting by school administrators after a teacher found a troubling note in Ethan’s desk, McDonald said. It contained a drawing of a semiautomatic handgun pointing at the words “The thoughts won’t stop. Help me.”

Another section of the note had a drawing of a bullet with the words, “blood everywhere.” There was also a drawing of a bloody figure with two gunshot wounds, McDonald said, and another drawing of a laughing emoji.

Ethan altered the note, McDonald said, scratching out the most disturbing parts of it by the time the meeting with his parents began shortly after 10 a.m. on Nov. 30. McDonald said the teen brought his backpack to the counselor’s office to meet with his parents and noted at no point did his parents ask about the recently purchased gun. McDonald said neither the Crumbleys nor school officials searched the teen’s backpack.

The Crumbleys “resisted the idea of their son leaving the school at that time,” McDonald said. Instead, Ethan returned to class with his backpack.

Less than three hours later, the first 911 calls poured in about shots fired at the school.
      That's some very disturbing stuff, and yeah, parents shouldn't automatically be responsible for the actions of their children, but it would appear to me these two people earned those four involuntary manslaughters.

That kid didn't stand a chance.
      “Nobody teaches life anything.” - Gabriel García Márquez

Comment

Originally posted by HfxBob View Post

Normally, I believe, in psychological profiling terms, a 15-year old whose only friends are his parents would qualify as a "loner."

This case, of course, is an extremely unusual one, in that the parents are being regarded as accomplices.
        There is nothing to indicate that his parents were his only friends. He had active social media accounts including video of him shooting hoops with friends. Not a loner.

Comment

From a NYT article today after the parents (who fled their arraignment and were subsequently arrested while attempting to hide in a public place):

On the morning of Nov. 30, the day of the shooting, she said, the suspect’s parents were urgently called into the high school after one of his teachers found an alarming note he had drawn, scrawled with images of a gun, a person who had been shot and a laughing emoji, and the words, “Blood everywhere,” and, “The thoughts won’t stop. Help me.”
          I’d like to know why school officials, at that point didn’t search his locker and his belongings. Yes, his parents are garbage people who weren’t going to help them. Still, they missed massive red flags that called for intervention.

Comment

Originally posted by ojo View Post
            From a NYT article today after the parents (who fled their arraignment and were subsequently arrested while attempting to hide in a public place):

I’d like to know why school officials, at that point didn’t search his locker and his belongings. Yes, his parents are garbage people who weren’t going to help them. Still, they missed massive red flags that called for intervention.
            They said that school officials may end up facing charges because of this. I am glad they are holding the parents liable. This is a very u usual case where involuntary manslaughter is warranted. But in general if a kid gets a hold of a gun owned by the parents I think the parents need to be held accountable too. If you bring a gun into a house you are responsible for it’s safe storage

Comment

Originally posted by YankeePride1967 View Post

They said that school officials may end up facing charges because of this. I am glad they are holding the parents liable. This is a very u usual case where involuntary manslaughter is warranted. But in general if a kid gets a hold of a gun owned by the parents I think the parents need to be held accountable too. If you bring a gun into a house you are responsible for it’s safe storage
              Once that note was found officials should’ve activated a fire drill to get his classmates out of the building(s). Then a search executed on his body/belongings: his locker, gym locker, and of each classroom in his schedule. THEN the parents should’ve been called for a sit-down about their child.

Comment

Originally posted by Texsahara View Post

There is nothing to indicate that his parents were his only friends. He had active social media accounts including video of him shooting hoops with friends. Not a loner.
                OK. But why are you saying "they are never loners" as if it's a clear-cut fact?

Here's a story on the Parkland shooter Nikolas Cruz in which he is explicitly called a loner by his family's attorney.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/02/14/us/ni...ect/index.html

And AFAIK there was never any doubt that Cruz acted alone in the shooting.
                Polite Red Sox fan

Comment

Originally posted by HfxBob View Post

OK. But why are you saying "they are never loners" as if it's a clear-cut fact?

Here's a story on the Parkland shooter Nikolas Cruz in which he is explicitly called a loner by his family's attorney.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/02/14/us/ni...ect/index.html

And AFAIK there was never any doubt that Cruz acted alone in the shooting.
                  People love calling these guys loners. I have an opinion on that it's just that, an opinion. I think it makes them feel safer. That these guys are rare exceptions. But acting alone is not the same thing as being a loner. When you look deeper, they all find their pack just like the so-called lone wolf terrorists. Your own article even mentions Cruz's ties to white supremacists. He talked openly about what he wanted to do. Here is more.
                  ​​​https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.cnn...oup/index.html

Comment

Originally posted by Texsahara View Post

People love calling these guys loners. I have an opinion on that but no basis in fact. I think it makes them feel safer. That these guys are rare exceptions. But acting alone is not the same thing as being a loner. When you look deeper, they all find their pack. Your own article even mentions Cruz's ties to white supremacists. He talked openly about what he wanted to do Here is more.
                    ​​​https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.cnn...oup/index.html
                    Yes, I did read that stuff about Cruz. Maybe we are using different interpretations of 'loner'. I think you can be a loner in terms of what we think of as normal relationships, but at the same time have powerful outside influences of the kind Cruz apparently did.

As far as 'ties' to white supremacists, that seems to be used quite loosely. This article says there's no indication Cruz was actually part of any group.
                    Polite Red Sox fan

Comment

https://www.cnn.com/2021/12/02/us/ky...her/index.html

A 13-year-old boy who was manufacturing and selling so-called "ghost guns" has been arrested after he allegedly shot and killed his 14-year-old sister with one of his own homemade firearms, according to the Douglas County, Georgia, Sheriff's Office.
                      Such a cool country.

Comment

I certainly can't see any way to credibly argue it isn't the Republicans who are primarily responsible for the glorification and proliferation of guns.
                        Polite Red Sox fan

Comment

You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                          This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

I'm just getting caught up on this whole story, but the parents plan to escape the law was to hide in the biggest city in their home state?

Lol What a bunch of dopes.
                            Stay "We" my friends

Comment

Originally posted by Tyler Durden View Post
                              I'm just getting caught up on this whole story, but the parents plan to escape the law was to hide in the biggest city in their home state?

Lol What a bunch of dopes.
                              That was only Phase 2 of their brilliance. Phase 1 was buying their 15 year old a Sig Sauer as an early Christmas present.
                              Polite Red Sox fan

Comment

Originally posted by ojo View Post

Once that note was found officials should’ve activated a fire drill to get his classmates out of the building(s). Then a search executed on his body/belongings: his locker, gym locker, and of each classroom in his schedule. THEN the parents should’ve been called for a sit-down about their child.
                                Apparently, lockers were not in use as part of COVID protocol. Speculation is that the gun had to be in the kid's backpack during the famous meeting but it was never searched. These two not only should never have been allowed to purchase guns; they should not have been allowed to have children.
                                "Deep to left! Yastrzemski will not get it! It's a home run! A three-run homer by Bucky Dent! And the Yankees now lead by a score of 3-2!" - New York Yankees announcer Bill White (October 2, 1978)

Comment

Working...
                                X