Non-Presidential News Stories That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Non-Presidential News Stories That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread

I closed the Election 2016 thread, because it’s clearly old news. In its place, I opened a thread to discuss the President, and I’m opening this one to discuss Current Events that don’t necessarily center around the President.Often, the Election thread went off on tangents.I’m thinking of this as a stand-alone thread to be a home for those tangent discussions.
    When the discussion gets around to politics, the same ground rules will apply as I stated in the President Trump thread:

GROUND RULES

1. Keep it courteous and respectful. Disagree all you want, but watch the tone.
    2. No personal attacks.
    3. Avoid speculation on what another poster “really means.” It’s tedious.
    4. Don’t state your opinion as fact.
    5. Show some respect toward the office. You don’t need to respect President Trump, but I won’t tolerate blatant disrespect. If you don’t understand the difference, you don’t need to participate.
    6. Keep it courteous and respectful. [I know. That’s also Rule #1. It’s important enough that it needs to be repeated.]

"But what people tend to forget...is that being a Yankee is as much about character as it is about performance; as much about who you are as what you do."
    - President Barack Obama

Re: Non-Presdiential News Stories That Don't Deserve Their Own hread Thread

Hillary is being a good trooper today. You know this is killing her.
    You wanna know what? You gotta problem with Luis Cessa, you gotta problem with me. And I suggest you let that one marinate

Comment

Re: Non-Presdiential News Stories That Don't Deserve Their Own hread Thread

Originally posted by fredgmuggs View Post
      <blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">“DAMMIT BILL YOU SAID WE WERE GOING TO BRUNCH&quot; <a href="https://t.co/ueJSfDZaSV">pic.twitter.com/ueJSfDZaSV</a></p>&mdash; Pete Blackburn (@PeteBlackburn) <a href="https://twitter.com/PeteBlackburn/status/822464550398296069">January 20, 2017</a></blockquote>
      <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Comment

Re: Non-Presidential News Stories That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread

We think our inauguration is bad? I have to give credit to Kevin, who saw this one coming:

The political standoff in Gambia intensified on Thursday as foreign troops crossed the border with orders to dislodge a repressive leader who has refused to step down after losing a presidential election last month.

Gambia’s erratic leader, Yahya Jammeh, seized power in a coup 22 years ago and once said he could rule for a billion years. But on Thursday the Senegalese military headed toward the capital of Gambia, Banjul, where Mr. Jammeh has been holed up in the state house, insisting that his rule is still valid.

The new President was sworn in in the Gambian embassy in Senegal.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/01/19/w...ya-jammeh.html
        History is our lessons to learn good things to do and bad things to not do.
        - MTG

Comment

Assange being a lying liar:

In a Q&A on Periscope today, Julian Assange continued to squirm around questions over what exactly would be required for him to fulfill his promise to face charges in the United States should President Obama grant clemency to Chelsea Manning, as he did on Tuesday.
          http://www.theverge.com/2017/1/19/14...e-requirements

I think awy suggested he should have been "drone'd" years ago.

Comment

Originally posted by Gregorius Chant View Post
            Assange being a lying liar:

http://www.theverge.com/2017/1/19/14...e-requirements

I think awy suggested he should have been "drone'd" years ago.

You'd have to hit the Ecuadorian embassy in London, which might not be taken too well.
            - MTG

Comment

Originally posted by JL25and3 View Post
              You'd have to hit the Ecuadorian embassy in London, which might not be taken too well.
              'MURICA FIRST. We do what we want, buddy.

Comment

Not surprised about Assange. Not in the least.
                Bring tea for the Tillerman; Steak for the son; Wine for the woman
                who made the rain come; Seagulls sing your hearts away;
                'Cause while the sinners sin, the children play ...

Comment

Originally posted by fredgmuggs View Post
                  I didn't watch but just saw pictures. She looked beautiful. The choice of white was awesome. This should've been her day.

Originally posted by RhodyYanksFan View Post
                  <blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">“DAMMIT BILL YOU SAID WE WERE GOING TO BRUNCH&quot; <a href="https://t.co/ueJSfDZaSV">pic.twitter.com/ueJSfDZaSV</a></p>&mdash; Pete Blackburn (@PeteBlackburn) <a href="https://twitter.com/PeteBlackburn/status/822464550398296069">January 20, 2017</a></blockquote>
                  <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
                  Embed fail.
                  "Our work continues, the fight goes on, and the big dreams never die." -- Elizabeth Warren

Comment

Originally posted by jlw1980 View Post
                    Embed fail.
                    That's what he said.
                    - MTG

Comment

Originally posted by jlw1980 View Post
                      I didn't watch but just saw pictures. She looked beautiful. The choice of white was awesome. This should've been her day.

Embed fail.
                      I don't get why we can embed tweets in Other Sports but not here.

Comment

Originally posted by JL25and3 View Post
                        That's what he said.
                        "Our work continues, the fight goes on, and the big dreams never die." -- Elizabeth Warren

Comment

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2017...alization.html

The Texas Supreme Court agreed Friday to hear a Houston case that top conservatives hope will provide an opening to challenge the landmark 2015 ruling legalizing gay marriage nationwide.

Reversing its previous ruling, the state's highest civil court set arguments for March in a lawsuit seeking to halt same-sex spousal benefits that America's fourth-largest city offers its municipal employees. The nine Republican justices had ruled in September not to hear the case in the wake of the U.S. Supreme Court's ruling from the previous summer that gay marriage was constitutional nationwide.

Comment

gotta love how some just don't want other to be equal.
                            Bring tea for the Tillerman; Steak for the son; Wine for the woman
                            who made the rain come; Seagulls sing your hearts away;
                            'Cause while the sinners sin, the children play ...

Comment

Originally posted by ajra21 View Post
                              gotta love how some just don't want other to be equal.
                              I just honestly don't get it. It makes no sense to me. On most issues I can see both sides of an argument even if I don't agree with the other side but this one baffles me. Why are people so concerned with what others do as long as they aren't hurting anyone?
                              2020 - We have baseball! For now.

The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese in the trap.

Comment

Working...
                              X