No announcement yet.

Non-Presidential News Stories That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Non-Presidential News Stories That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread

Originally posted by YFIB View Post
    This is such an important point. In what world does it make sense to rely on your employer for healthcare? It's wasteful, not aligned with the best interests of patients, and a distraction for the private sector.
    It was also why GM was often described as a benefits delivery company that also made cars.
    Baseball is life;
    the rest is just details.

Comment

Originally posted by Maynerd View Post
      Stop. That's not what I'm doing at all.

I'll simplify things. Do you want the federal government to play a more significant role in deploying health care for the American people, as in the ACA or Medicare for All? Yes or no?

I emphatically answer 'no!' If you answer 'yes,' you've relinquished the right to second-guess the government's decisions on a vaccine. You don't get to give that power to the government, but then say "not in this case." You don't get to opt in or out on a case-by-case basis. You trust the government with your care, or you don't. I don't. I didn't when the ACA was passed. I don't now. I won't when Biden is in office. That's not normalizing the Trump Administration; it's distrusting the federal government, regardless of who sits behind which desk.
      What.
      -Kevin

"My point is you can't compare things with statistics." Joe Morgan

"I'd have won that trial. I've often said that." Stephen A. Smith on the OJ Simpson trial

RIP, Pete.

Comment

Stop. That's not what I'm doing at all.

I'll simplify things. Do you want the federal government to play a more significant role in deploying health care for the American people, as in the ACA or Medicare for All? Yes or no?

I emphatically answer 'no!' If you answer 'yes,' you've relinquished the right to second-guess the government's decisions on a vaccine. You don't get to give that power to the government, but then say "not in this case." You don't get to opt in or out on a case-by-case basis. You trust the government with your care, or you don't. I don't. I didn't when the ACA was passed. I don't now. I won't when Biden is in office. That's not normalizing the Trump Administration; it's distrusting the federal government, regardless of who sits behind which desk.
        The main function of the ACA was that it allowed uninsured people to buy subsidized healthcare on a public exchange, banned insurance companies from denying care for pre-existing conditions, ended lifetime caps on reimbursement, and levied a fine on those who chose to not purchase health insurance. Is that really a problem? In my view, everyone in the country should have health insurance and have access to medical care, regardless of income or employment status. Not only is it a good thing morally, but the country as a whole is simply better off for it if people have access to health care (in an macroeconomic sense the value of labor from a healthy population exceeds the cost of providing that healthcare).

Originally posted by Texsahara View Post
        I want the gov to manage the health care system and control the costs. I want my personal healthcare decisions including what vaccines I get or don't get to be decided between me and my doctor.
        Getting a vaccine isnít a personal decision. Itís a matter of public health-the decision of individuals to not get vaccinated impacts the entire community. Itís like a requirement to drive a safe vehicle. Thatís very different than all other medical decisions, which are absolutely personal. I donít think the government has the ability to mandate vaccination, but I do think it should be required for attending public schools and other services that some local governments have enacted. Exceptions of course for those who are allergic to vaccine components (this is extremely rare).

Comment

Originally posted by billyhoyle View Post

Getting a vaccine isnít a personal decision. Itís a matter of public health-the decision of individuals to not get vaccinated impacts the entire community. Itís like a requirement to drive a safe vehicle. Thatís very different than all other medical decisions, which are absolutely personal. I donít think the government has the ability to mandate vaccination, but I do think it should be required for attending public schools and other services that some local governments have enacted. Exceptions of course for those who are allergic to vaccine components (this is extremely rare).
          Think what you want. If the government is not mandating a vaccine by law, it is a personal choice whether or not to get one. Of course it's a matter of public health. It's still a personal decision. Both of those things can exist together.

Comment

Think what you want. If the government is not mandating a vaccine by law, it is a personal choice whether or not to get one. Of course it's a matter of public health. It's still a personal decision. Both of those things can exist together.
            Thatís true that somebody can choose not to be vaccinated. I simply mean that itís a choice that impacts others and to access services like public schools it should be required. While choice on other medical care decisions like whether you prefer medication A vs medication B is completely personal since it doesnít impact others. Iím drawing the distinction because many feel the opinion I am espousing here is government overreach.

Comment

I want the gov to manage the health care system and control the costs.
              When has our government EVER controlled costs?
              Originally posted by Texsahara
              I want my personal healthcare decisions including what vaccines I get or don't get to be decided between me and my doctor.
              That's not ever going to be an option when the government is managing the health care system. Those are mutually exclusive. If you want them to control costs, you're going to need to live with their decisions. If you want you and your doctor to be in charge of your health care, you CANNOT have the government managing it. If the government is the least bit involved with COST, they're going to be making the decisions.

A world where the government pays the bills but you retain the control and decision-making is a dreamland.

"But what people tend to forget...is that being a Yankee is as much about character as it is about performance; as much about who you are as what you do."
              - President Barack Obama

Comment

When has our government EVER controlled costs?
                Social Security
                Baseball is life;

Comment

When has our government EVER controlled costs?That's not ever going to be an option when the government is managing the health care system. Those are mutually exclusive. If you want them to control costs, you're going to need to live with their decisions. If you want you and your doctor to be in charge of your health care, you CANNOT have the government managing it. If the government is the least bit involved with COST, they're going to be making the decisions.

A world where the government pays the bills but you retain the control and decision-making is a dreamland.
                  Costs are currently controlled by insurance companies. Havenít you heard of prior use authorization? Prescriptions follow a schedule based on cost-where lowest cost options are prescribed first. Itís not like a doctor can just prescribe a medicine and boom you get it covered by the insurance company. I have spent hours on the phone with my insurance company on this issue.

Comment

When has our government EVER controlled costs?That's not ever going to be an option when the government is managing the health care system. Those are mutually exclusive. If you want them to control costs, you're going to need to live with their decisions. If you want you and your doctor to be in charge of your health care, you CANNOT have the government managing it. If the government is the least bit involved with COST, they're going to be making the decisions.

We don't retain control and decision-making now.
                    Russian warship, go **** yourself

Comment

Yikes...

That said, the American left should work toward abolishing the Constitution somedayóeither for a new document or a new democratic order without a written constitution.
                      but in the meantime...

without hesitation, guilt, or apologyóshould pack the Supreme Court to its advantage
                      https://newrepublic.com/article/1598...-supreme-court
                      Calmer than you are

7/30/2017: The day the Minnesota Twins bought a prospect from the New York Yankees.

Comment

Originally posted by ClownPickle View Post

I don't know about abolishing the constitution but an amendment to get rid of the electoral college sure would be nice, but the Republicans have been court packing and Gerrymandering for the past 12+ years. So the Democrats doing it wouldn't be anything new or original.
                        Baseball is life;

Comment

Originally posted by ClownPickle View Post
                          The constitution is a mess. Staring over would be easier than trying to fix it but that's not happening. As for packing the court, why not? There is nothing in the constitution that says nine justices. Reforming it would be better but if you can't get that, why shouldn't they make it work for them?

Comment

The negotiated prices for medicare and medicaid are as good or better than the prices private insurance negotiates. The control over care is in basically the same spot. How much money you make should not determine the level of care you get. How do you get there without any gov control?

Comment

Originally posted by Yankee Tripper View Post
                              I don't know about abolishing the constitution but an amendment to get rid of the electoral college sure would be nice, but the Republicans have been court packing and Gerrymandering for the past 12+ years. So the Democrats doing it wouldn't be anything new or original.
                              McConnell held up over 100 court seats in Obama's 2nd term not even counting Garland. There should be something to keep the opposition party from doing that.

Hell, they held up an ambassadorship for so long the woman literally died waiting for a hearing.

Ted Cruz said that he'd keep the SCOTUS at 8 seats for the entirety of Hillary's term if she had won.

Comment

Originally posted by RhodyYanksFan View Post
                                McConnell held up over 100 court seats in Obama's 2nd term not even counting Garland. There should be something to keep the opposition party from doing that.

Hell, they held up an ambassadorship for so long the woman literally died waiting for a hearing.

Ted Cruz said that he'd keep the SCOTUS at 8 seats for the entirety of Hillary's term if she had won.
                                That's part of what I meant by they have been court packing for 12+ years.
                                Baseball is life;

Comment

Working...
                                X