Non-Presidential News Stories That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by HfxBob View Post

And I generally don't like pressure campaigns to shut down artists for performing their art.
    Pressure campaign? Why do you think people are obligated to watch and buy something they either find offensive or have no interest in? Why do you seem to think freedom of speech applies to one side but not the other? Guess what? You have the right to call me a jerk if you want to but I also have that same right

Comment

Originally posted by JL25and3 View Post

Comics can make jokes about whatever they want. It doesn't mean people have to find them funny.
      Come on John, if you don’t subscribe to Netflix and watch it tonight you are canceling him

Comment

Woops. Unsurprisingly, the "activists" running their branding of social justice to look good are just terrible people. Unfortunately too many buy into their grift.

Ashlee Marie Preston, the activist behind the ‘Team Trans’ Netflix walkout over the Dave Chappelle comedy special, has made a series of problematic tweets in the past. Screenshots of tweets she has made in the past have gone viral that reveal a deep-seated hatred towards Asians and homosexuals.
        https://www.opindia.com/2021/10/acti...marie-preston/
        Calmer than you are

7/30/2017: The day the Minnesota Twins bought a prospect from the New York Yankees.

Comment

Originally posted by ClownPickle View Post
          Woops. Unsurprisingly, the "activists" running their branding of social justice to look good are just terrible people. Unfortunately too many buy into their grift.

https://www.opindia.com/2021/10/acti...marie-preston/
          Grift?

Comment

Originally posted by Texsahara View Post

Grift?
            Of course yeah. It's like in the Middle Ages when feudal leaders would latch onto and ally with religious leaders for their aura of moral authority. Of course these religious leaders were horrible people but got very rich in the process.

It's a damn good grift. Props.
            Calmer than you are

7/30/2017: The day the Minnesota Twins bought a prospect from the New York Yankees.

Comment

Nice turtle

Comment

Originally posted by YankeePride1967 View Post

Pressure campaign? Why do you think people are obligated to watch and buy something they either find offensive or have no interest in? Why do you seem to think freedom of speech applies to one side but not the other? Guess what? You have the right to call me a jerk if you want to but I also have that same right
                You're missing the point being made I think. No one is saying that people are obligated to buy or watch anything. Of course, if something offends you don't listen to it. The point is that a small group of people that are offended by something are increasingly labeling anything they don't like as hate speech, or -isms, or whatever to create an unearned level of toxicity. Out of fear of being associated with that toxicity, people that don't share that same perspective clam up rather than risk becoming a target themselves and debate is effectively silenced. And some people speak out publicly without any genuine commitment to the thoughts they are espousing to try and obtain credibility... like the example CP gave above that is... well, it's something. I didn't realize meth made you racist and homophobic.

Have you seen the special?

Comment

The issue is controlling language, ideas, belief systems, and thought. Do what we say. Say what we say. Don't say what we don't want. Don't employ who we don't want. Put our people in your organizations to advise you on how to say things. You can ignore us, as any private organization can, but we'll call you racists, transphobic, homophobes, ect, and protest for many months, and have our supporters do the same. That might not have any financial impact or it may, but this is the form of extortion taking place.
                  So you think corporate America cares a lot if some people call them bad names while they’re making money? Or do they care if it’s, y'know, bad for business?
                  Russian warship, go **** yourself

Comment

Originally posted by philleotardo View Post
                    Nice turtle
                    That's what she said.
                    "Our work continues, the fight goes on, and the big dreams never die." -- Elizabeth Warren

Comment

Originally posted by False1 View Post
                      You're missing the point being made I think. No one is saying that people are obligated to buy or watch anything. Of course, if something offends you don't listen to it. The point is that a small group of people that are offended by something are increasingly labeling anything they don't like as hate speech, or -isms, or whatever to create an unearned level of toxicity. Out of fear of being associated with that toxicity, people that don't share that same perspective clam up rather than risk becoming a target themselves and debate is effectively silenced. And some people speak out publicly without any genuine commitment to the thoughts they are espousing to try and obtain credibility... like the example CP gave above that is... well, it's something. I didn't realize meth made you racist and homophobic.

Have you seen the special?
                      I don't think corporations are bowing to small groups of people. Netflix kept Chappelle on because they don't believe it is detrimental to their bottom line. And that's how it generally goes.

Comment

Originally posted by Texsahara View Post

I don't think corporations are bowing to small groups of people. Netflix kept Chappelle on because they don't believe it is detrimental to their bottom line. And that's how it generally goes.
                        Yes, they are:

“This film that I made was invited to every film festival in the United States and some of those invitations I accepted. When this controversy came out about ‘The Closer,’ they began disinviting me from these film festivals,” Chappelle claimed. “And now, today, not a film company, not a movie studio, not a film festival, nobody will touch this film. Thank God for Ted Sarandos and Netflix, he’s the only one that didn’t cancel me yet.”
                        https://variety.com/2021/film/news/d...es-1235097068/

...and you frame it as if groups of people are yelling at a wall outside of Walmart. That's not how it works. It's pointed attacks at individuals within the organization. You call them racist. You call them homophobic. You look through their history for dirt. That's how you win. People don't want to lose their livelihoods.
                        Calmer than you are

Comment

Yes, they are:

https://variety.com/2021/film/news/d...es-1235097068/

...and you frame it as if groups of people are yelling at a wall outside of Walmart. That's not how it works. It's pointed attacks at individuals within the organization. You call them racist. You call them homophobic. You look through their history for dirt. That's how you win. People don't want to lose their livelihoods.
                          Link me up

Comment

Right: “corporations have every right to pay crap wages as the have they American right to make a profit”
                            also the right “ how dare they not allow comics spew racist or transphobic comments with no consequences! They just employ the co ice even if the corporation lose money!”

Comment

Originally posted by YankeePride1967 View Post
                              Right: “corporations have every right to pay crap wages as the have they American right to make a profit”
                              also the right “ how dare they not allow comics spew racist or transphobic comments with no consequences! They just employ the co ice even if the corporation lose money!”
                              Except Dave Chappelle does not spew racist and transphobic comments. He makes fun of things. That's what comedy is.
                              Polite Red Sox fan

Comment

Originally posted by HfxBob View Post

Except Dave Chappelle does not spew racist and transphobic comments. He makes fun of things. That's what comedy is.
                                So if you call yourself a comedian you can say whatever you want and you get a free pass?

Comment

Working...
                                X