Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Non-Presidential News Stories That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Why aren’t they arresting Antifa?


    A QAnon influencer who accuses Democratic Party politicians of being pedophiles has been identified in two reports as a registered child sex offender. David Todeschini, 70, goes by the name of “David Trent” online where his thousands of fans listen to him opine on any number of conspiracy theories related to the broader QAnon movement.

    -law and crime.com

    Comment


      Originally posted by Yankee Tripper View Post

      Democrats need to go 50-0 to pass legislation, it's not an easy bar. On top of that they often need to beg 10 Republican Senators to allow them to even discuss a bill all because of a Senate rule introduced to appease a group of Senators who didn't like the idea that civil rights might apply to the wrong type of people which has increasingly be weaponized over the past 30 years.
      I understand that. My (current) gripe is why the media is obsessed with the 1% of Democrats who don't support the agenda while giving a pass to the 100% of Republicans who are against stuff that polls 70/30.

      Comment


        Originally posted by RhodyYanksFan View Post

        I understand that. My (current) gripe is why the media is obsessed with the 1% of Democrats who don't support the agenda while giving a pass to the 100% of Republicans who are against stuff that polls 70/30.
        There's more to it than Manchin and Sinema though, no? The media is also heavily playing up an alleged divide between progressives and moderates in the Democratic party.

        CNN says the progressives are basically withholding support for the infrastructure bill as leverage to get what they want in the social spending bill.
        Polite Red Sox fan

        Comment


          Originally posted by HfxBob View Post

          There's more to it than Manchin and Sinema though, no? The media is also heavily playing up an alleged divide between progressives and moderates in the Democratic party.

          CNN says the progressives are basically withholding support for the infrastructure bill as leverage to get what they want in the social spending bill.
          The "moderates" are Manchin and Sinema.
          History is our lessons to learn good things to do and bad things to not do.
          - MTG

          Comment


            Originally posted by HfxBob View Post

            There's more to it than Manchin and Sinema though, no? The media is also heavily playing up an alleged divide between progressives and moderates in the Democratic party.

            CNN says the progressives are basically withholding support for the infrastructure bill as leverage to get what they want in the social spending bill.
            What John said. BOTH bills would have been more passed MONTHS ago and with much more in it if not for two things: 1) the complete refusal of any republicans to govern and 2) these two Democratic senators dictating the terms of the entire bill. Yes they have the power to do it but what if Bernie said he wouldn’t vote for the bipartisan infrastructure bill that already passed the Senate unless Medicare for All was included? He could have but didn’t because he knew that would hurt the party.

            Comment


              Originally posted by HfxBob View Post

              There's more to it than Manchin and Sinema though, no? The media is also heavily playing up an alleged divide between progressives and moderates in the Democratic party.

              CNN says the progressives are basically withholding support for the infrastructure bill as leverage to get what they want in the social spending bill.
              I would not call that accurate. Originally, this was originally going to be be one giant bill. They split it into two since they had enough GOP support to make infrastructure bipartisan. The House progressives were very clear that they would only vote for the infrastructure bill if build back better could be voted on at the same time. That has not changed. What has changed is the things in bbb have been reduced from $3.5T to $1.75T. That was all Manchin and Sinema. In spite of concessions composing 50% of what they wanted to get done, they have agreed to what is currently in the framework. But they are holding fast on passing the two bills together which is the only way they can be sure not to get burned.

              Comment


                Originally posted by Texsahara View Post

                I would not call that accurate. Originally, this was originally going to be be one giant bill. They split it into two since they had enough GOP support to make infrastructure bipartisan. The House progressives were very clear that they would only vote for the infrastructure bill if build back better could be voted on at the same time. That has not changed. What has changed is the things in bbb have been reduced from $3.5T to $1.75T. That was all Manchin and Sinema. In spite of concessions composing 50% of what they wanted to get done, they have agreed to what is currently in the framework. But they are holding fast on passing the two bills together which is the only way they can be sure not to get burned.
                Yup. I can see if the progressives did allow a vote and BIF passed, Manchin or Sinema then sayijgn”well this child care program is too much of an entitlement so it needs to go” or some similar thing

                Comment


                  Originally posted by JL25and3 View Post

                  The only problem I see is that they don't just call in and say "I don't feel well."
                  Originally posted by False1 View Post
                  Honestly I think employers should just have pools of time off for whatever reason the employee needs them under typical circumstances. Sick, vacation, personal days, and all those other scenarios could apply. Just don't feel like coming to work today? Use one of your days. But, there is a consequence model for those that exceed the allowance, or clearly abuse the process (calling out every other Friday). And obviously there are protections above and beyond that for approved leaves, FMLA, etc.

                  Why even make the employee provide a reason? If they have the time off budgeted, provide the minimum required notice, and don't seem to always need personal days off on Fridays or days after holidays that weren't proactively approved... avoid all the dishonestly and awkwardness. Hungover? Don't need to explain it... just report that you want to use one of your days. Don't even need to say "I don't feel well." Conversely, don't use all your allotted days? At the end of the year we'll pay you for the unused hours.

                  That said, I think the inference above is that it's not *solely* the reason for calling out, but also the frequency and perhaps the trend being observed.
                  Yep. Well said. There's really no need to get into details like this: "Hey Bill. I have explosive diarrhea. It's on the walls, all over the kitchen, the bedrooms, I think I even got some on the kids. Anyway, I'm not in a good place mentally. "

                  Just use your allotted days and STFU. They want to use allotted days AND not work whenever it suits. This generation is so into "me", "my problems", "my gender" which makes sense given the amount of attention and admiration they get when they voice it.
                  Calmer than you are

                  7/30/2017: The day the Minnesota Twins bought a prospect from the New York Yankees.

                  Comment


                    Originally posted by ClownPickle View Post



                    Yep. Well said. There's really no need to get into details like this: "Hey Bill. I have explosive diarrhea. It's on the walls, all over the kitchen, the bedrooms, I think I even got some on the kids. Anyway, I'm not in a good place mentally. "

                    Just use your allotted days and STFU. They want to use allotted days AND not work whenever it suits. This generation is so into "me", "my problems", "my gender" which makes sense given the amount of attention and admiration they get when they voice it.

                    Comment


                      Originally posted by Texsahara View Post

                      How dare you assume my gender!
                      Calmer than you are

                      7/30/2017: The day the Minnesota Twins bought a prospect from the New York Yankees.

                      Comment


                        https://www.newyorker.com/humor/boro...hBRA33uAxyu2oU

                        Manchin will agree to Halloween only if candy is completely removed

                        Comment




                          Texas School Censors All Of ‘Huck Finn’ Except The N-Words

                          - the Onion


                          Comment


                            Originally posted by philleotardo View Post

                            Texas School Censors All Of ‘Huck Finn’ Except The N-Words

                            - the Onion

                            Always remember it is the Republicans who created cancel culture

                            Comment


                              Originally posted by YankeePride1967 View Post

                              Always remember it is the Republicans who created cancel culture
                              I'm sure that's true. Heck, I'm old enough to remember the Beatles having their records burned in the South after John said the Beatles were more popular than Jesus.

                              I'm generally against it whichever side is engaged in it...
                              Polite Red Sox fan

                              Comment


                                Originally posted by HfxBob View Post

                                I'm sure that's true. Heck, I'm old enough to remember the Beatles having their records burned in the South after John said the Beatles were more popular than Jesus.

                                I'm generally against it whichever side is engaged in it...
                                There’s is a difference. A private publisher discontinuing six Dr. Seuss books (out of close to 70) due to racial content is not cancel culture. It is a business decision. PUBLIC school boards banning books? Different story. Actually cancel culture is not even real. Like CRT, it is a fictional right wing term used to whine because someone disagreed with them. No one.”canceled” Robert Lee when his statue came down. You can still read about him in text books and the internet and will be taught in history classes, unlike Martin Luther King and Rosa Parks which cannot be taught in Texas. A statue is to honor someone. Adolph Hitler wasn’t canceled because he doesn’t have a statue

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X