Non-Presidential News Stories That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by False1 View Post
    I read up a little on the situation in Texas. I don't approve of what they're doing, but there's some irony in talking about how your political opponents exaggerate things, false outrage, etc. I think you're referring to SB-3 in your prior posts. First, that bill has not yet been passed. Second, there's nothing that prohibits teachers from talking about MLK Jr., Rosa Parks, etc. There are a bunch of strike-throughs from the old curriculum in terms of mandatory material. You'll see George Washington, Thomas Jefferson and others on there. I happen to think the figures from the civil rights movement you reference should be embedded in the curriculum, so I hope that bill never passes... and if it does I hope districts and teachers weave in what they can. I also think everyone needs to take it down from 11 to a level where you can actually hear discussion. Things generally work out - maybe not exactly how everyone wants but where most can feel comfortable - if there can be debate in good faith. Regardless of what CRT really is, if parents have concerns about it there should be discussion about it. Otherwise, you get knee jerk reactions like this one. I would think there is a place where we can simultaneously teach about the horrors of the KKK and yet not make kids feel like they're in it.

There is also a difference between being concerned about mandatory content for school aged kids and permitted content for adults.
    SB 3 also says that if you're going to teach something controversial, you have to present opposing viewpoints. I like to think the Letter from a Birmingham Jail is still controversial - that it still has that power - but how would you then teach it in Texas?
    Russian warship, go **** yourself

Comment

https://www.cnn.com/2021/10/30/us/ph...ill/index.html

When Philadelphia's mayor signs landmark legislation as soon as this week, the city will become the first major US city to ban police from stopping drivers for low-level traffic violations -- stops that studies show target Black drivers at disproportionately higher rates.
      👍

Comment

Originally posted by False1 View Post
        I read up a little on the situation in Texas. I don't approve of what they're doing, but there's some irony in talking about how your political opponents exaggerate things, false outrage, etc. I think you're referring to SB-3 in your prior posts. First, that bill has not yet been passed. Second, there's nothing that prohibits teachers from talking about MLK Jr., Rosa Parks, etc. There are a bunch of strike-throughs from the old curriculum in terms of mandatory material. You'll see George Washington, Thomas Jefferson and others on there. I happen to think the figures from the civil rights movement you reference should be embedded in the curriculum, so I hope that bill never passes... and if it does I hope districts and teachers weave in what they can. I also think everyone needs to take it down from 11 to a level where you can actually hear discussion. Things generally work out - maybe not exactly how everyone wants but where most can feel comfortable - if there can be debate in good faith. Regardless of what CRT really is, if parents have concerns about it there should be discussion about it. Otherwise, you get knee jerk reactions like this one. I would think there is a place where we can simultaneously teach about the horrors of the KKK and yet not make kids feel like they're in it.

There is also a difference between being concerned about mandatory content for school aged kids and permitted content for adults.
        What's hilarious is one of the "banned" books is "Cynical theories : how activist scholarship made everything about race, gender, and identity--and why this harms everybody." Which is about as anti-CRT as it gets. This isn't what people think it is.
        Calmer than you are

7/30/2017: The day the Minnesota Twins bought a prospect from the New York Yankees.

Comment

In Norway, when a mother gives birth, it is MANDATORY that BOTH parents take 4 weeks of paid leave. I believe they get more but they must take 4 weeks. Not saying we should make it mandatory, just highlighting the differences in priorities between us and basically the rest of the world

Comment

Originally posted by ClownPickle View Post

What's hilarious is one of the "banned" books is "Cynical theories : how activist scholarship made everything about race, gender, and identity--and why this harms everybody." Which is about as anti-CRT as it gets. This isn't what people think it is.
            Are you talking about SB3 or the Krause list? Sounds like Krause and plenty of msm articles on it mention the right leaning books being on it. That we are talking book banning at all is disturbing.

Comment

Originally posted by Texsahara View Post

Are you talking about SB3 or the Krause list? Sounds like Krause and plenty of msm articles on it mention the right leaning books being on it. That we are talking book banning at all is disturbing.
              The Krause list one. I grabbed list from this article:

https://www.npr.org/2021/10/28/10500...into-850-books
              Calmer than you are

7/30/2017: The day the Minnesota Twins bought a prospect from the New York Yankees.

Comment

Originally posted by ClownPickle View Post

The Krause list one. I grabbed list from this article:

https://www.npr.org/2021/10/28/10500...into-850-books
                I think sb3 has some pretty ugly aspects and it's almost a slam dunk to pass. Kids, the state, and the country will pay a price. The Krause list seems more like some no-name poll trying to elevate his own profile. Seems to be working for him.

Comment

Looks like the ability to negotiate prescription drug prices is back in the BBB bill.

Comment

Is FoxNews running a loop of the Michigan State students overturning the car and kicking the windshield? Elderly Lansing residents might want to know that their city is under siege.

Comment

Originally posted by YankeePride1967 View Post
                      In Norway, when a mother gives birth, it is MANDATORY that BOTH parents take 4 weeks of paid leave. I believe they get more but they must take 4 weeks. Not saying we should make it mandatory, just highlighting the differences in priorities between us and basically the rest of the world
                      What US parents get is pathetic.
                      Bring tea for the Tillerman; Steak for the son; Wine for the woman
                      who made the rain come; Seagulls sing your hearts away;
                      'Cause while the sinners sin, the children play ...

Comment

Emperor Manchin playing games again, says he won’t vote for BBB until he sees a full accounting of the financial impact. There is none. The new taxes offset. And from the other side of the mouth called on the progressives to stop playing games and pass the bilateral bill

Comment

Emperor Manchin playing games again, says he won’t vote for BBB until he sees a full accounting of the financial impact. There is none. The new taxes offset. And from the other side of the mouth called on the progressives to stop playing games and pass the bilateral bill
                          There has to be a CBO score before the senate can vote on it anyway. Nothing to see here.

Comment

There has to be a CBO score before the senate can vote on it anyway. Nothing to see here.
                            Yup saw that after but I think he is nuts if he thinks there will be a vote on one before the other and right. Is it is far from certain either gets passed

Comment

Yup saw that after but I think he is nuts if he thinks there will be a vote on one before the other and right. Is it is far from certain either gets passed
                              I hope you are right but I think Jayapal might be making her first big misstep.

Manu Raju@mkraju

Jayapal signals that Manchin's comments will NOT impact progressives. Says they will vote FOR the infrastructure bill and $1.75T plan
                              "The president says he can get 51 votes for the bill, we are going to trust him ... We're tired of continuing to wait for one or two people."
                              She says on CNN that once the final negotiations are done on $1.75T, they will be ready to vote for both bills. And she'll let Biden try to get Manchin on board as he promised. "I trust the president."

Comment

I hope you are right but I think Jayapal might be making her first big misstep.

I can’t help but recalling Manchin calling for the “strategic pause” and he didn’t think this was even need it. I just don’t trust centrists who are that cozy with Wall Street or special interests

Comment

Working...
                                X