Non-Presidential News Stories That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am fairly confident about four things following the Rittenhouse trial:

1. Celebrating what he did tells me a lot about those people celebrating.
    2. Some of the things he did should be against the law.
    3. There are some deeply problematic aspects of the US justice system.
    4. If he were not white, he'd be in prison anyway.
    Bring tea for the Tillerman; Steak for the son; Wine for the woman
    who made the rain come; Seagulls sing your hearts away;
    'Cause while the sinners sin, the children play ...

Comment

Originally posted by ajra21 View Post

More like dead. And I have no use for anyone celebrating him. Sick

Comment

Originally posted by ajra21 View Post

OK, I'll ask you: what about this trial indicates problematic aspects of the US justice system?

My take is this: if you think it's the wrong verdict, then your complaints are either with the laws, or with the jury. They shouldn't be with the actual conduct of the trial. Sure, the judge did some unusual things, and may have even shown a little bias, but not in a a way that should have affected the verdict. That jury saw all the video and heard the witness testimony and the arguments over and over. They had everything they needed to render a verdict.
        Polite Red Sox fan

Comment

Originally posted by HfxBob View Post

OK, I'll ask you: what about this trial indicates problematic aspects of the US justice system?

My take is this: if you think it's the wrong verdict, then your complaints are either with the laws, or with the jury. They shouldn't be with the actual conduct of the trial. Sure, the judge did some unusual things, and may have even shown a little bias, but not in a a way that should have affected the verdict. That jury saw all the video and heard the witness testimony and the arguments over and over. They had everything they needed to render a verdict.
          Me, I have a problem with how loosely self-defense is defined in many states. And the trend has been to make it even more permissive ("stand your ground" laws).
          Russian warship, go **** yourself

Comment

Originally posted by JL25and3 View Post

Me, I have a problem with how loosely self-defense is defined in many states. And the trend has been to make it even more permissive ("stand your ground" laws).
            Do you think this was a loose self-defense interpretation?

Comment

Originally posted by False1 View Post
              Do you think this was a loose self-defense interpretation?
              I think if Rittenhouse had been killed, it could equally be considered self-defense. I think the issue before the jury was whether Rittenhouse had a reason to feel scared, not whether his life was actually in danger. Having said that, I didn’t follow this trial as closely as many of you.
              Russian warship, go **** yourself

Comment

Originally posted by Texsahara View Post

I think the point of the hearing is too allow the nominee to speak to questions or concerns that the panel has and not to pass judgement until you've heard them. Obviously that didn't happen. Minds were made up before she spoke a word. Yours too apparently. I question if that would have been the same if the nominee were a white dude from the midwest.

And while you may or may not be correct about her fitness, I don't believe a white man would have been treated with the same scorn and disrespect.
                Judge Kavanaugh sends his regards.

"But what people tend to forget...is that being a Yankee is as much about character as it is about performance; as much about who you are as what you do."
                - President Barack Obama

Comment

Awful stuff:

A holiday parade in Waukesha, Wis., turned to horror after a driver in a red SUV tore through the crowd Sunday evening. The city stated that five people have been confirmed dead and more than 40 people were injured after the SUV collided with parade marchers.

Children were among those struck by the car, according to Waukesha Police Chief Dan Thompson. In all, 11 adults and 12 pediatric patients were transported to six hospitals in the area, Fire Chief Steven Howard said.

Children's Wisconsin, a health care system operating two hospitals in the state, said it took in 15 patients as of 8 p.m. "with no reported fatalities at our hospital at that time."

Authorities gave no further specifics about the people who were killed or injured as they work to notify family members of the victims.
                  https://www.npr.org/2021/11/21/10578...g-participants
                  Calmer than you are

7/30/2017: The day the Minnesota Twins bought a prospect from the New York Yankees.

Comment

Originally posted by Maynerd View Post
                    The attempted rapist can keep his regards. Not interested.

Comment

Originally posted by ClownPickle View Post
                      Awful. Just saw that it's not being investigated as terrorism and that they believe the driver was fleeing another crime scene.

Comment

Originally posted by Texsahara View Post

Awful. Just saw that it's not being investigated as terrorism and that they believe the driver was fleeing another crime scene.
                        We'll have to wait for the details, but at first glance, "fleeing another crime scene" by driving through a Christmas parade full of people seems to make no sense at all.
                        Polite Red Sox fan

Comment

Originally posted by Maynerd View Post
                          The unhinged lunatic who ranted about conspiracy theories and his love of beer?
                          Baseball is life;
                          the rest is just details.

Comment

Originally posted by Yankee Tripper View Post

The unhinged lunatic who ranted about conspiracy theories and his love of beer?
                            The love of beer was the clincher, right?
                            Polite Red Sox fan

Comment

Originally posted by HfxBob View Post

The love of beer was the clincher, right?
                              Hey I love beer too. I’m just not sure I’d make that a focal point of my testimony when people are asking if I ever got blackout drunk while being confirmed to the highest court in the land.
                              Baseball is life;

Comment

Originally posted by ClownPickle View Post
                                That’s terrible, hope the drive gets a very lengthy prison sentence.

and a speedy recovery to the injured.
                                Baseball is life;

Comment

Working...
                                X