Non-Presidential News Stories That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

@waltshaub

11 days before the House passed the infrastructure bill, Senator Rick Scott’s spouse bought $600,003 to $1,250,000 worth of bonds issued by the Dallas Fort Worth airport. Shortly before that, she bought $1,000,003 to $2,000,000 worth of water system bonds in Memphis.

Comment

Originally posted by philleotardo View Post
      @waltshaub

11 days before the House passed the infrastructure bill, Senator Rick Scott’s spouse bought $600,003 to $1,250,000 worth of bonds issued by the Dallas Fort Worth airport. Shortly before that, she bought $1,000,003 to $2,000,000 worth of water system bonds in Memphis.
      Does that indicate inside information, or expectation that the bill would pass?
      Polite Red Sox fan

Comment

Originally posted by HfxBob View Post

Does that indicate inside information, or expectation that the bill would pass?
        Both.

Comment

Both.
          So what was the inside information?

What I'm getting at is, wasn't it well known that if the bill passed it would include a lot of money for airports and water systems?
          Polite Red Sox fan

Comment

Originally posted by JL25and3 View Post
            I think if Rittenhouse had been killed, it could equally be considered self-defense. I think the issue before the jury was whether Rittenhouse had a reason to feel scared, not whether his life was actually in danger. Having said that, I didn’t follow this trial as closely as many of you.
            I'm not sure I follow this. The point of self-defense is to prevent being killed. I think it's indisputable that he had many reasons to feel scared, although it's certainly legitimate to challenge why he was there in the first place.

Comment

@waltshaub

This should be illegal, but let's not reserve our disgust on this behavior by party. We should all get angry every time we see elected officials profiting off investments that tie back to the policies and legislation they are tasked with crafting.

Comment

Originally posted by False1 View Post
                I'm not sure I follow this. The point of self-defense is to prevent being killed. I think it's indisputable that he had many reasons to feel scared, although it's certainly legitimate to challenge why he was there in the first place.
                How do you not see it? Rittenhouse was clearly a threat. He did in fact kill 2 people and wound a 3rd. That by very definition is a threat.
                Baseball is life;
                the rest is just details.

Comment

Originally posted by Yankee Tripper View Post

How do you not see it? Rittenhouse was clearly a threat. He did in fact kill 2 people and wound a 3rd. That by very definition is a threat.
                  I don't know about you, but if I think the presence of a group of people with guns are a legitimate threat to my well being, I'm probably not running around hurling death threats, racial epithets, chasing them when they are retreating, etc. By your logic there is not such thing as self-defense if there is a death attributed to it.

EDIT: Ohhhh, I think I misinterpreted John's post. I read it as "if Rittenhouse had been killed, the post-mortem it could have been viewed as self-defense." Which kind of defeats the purpose of self-defense. Whereas after reading your comments and re-reading his, I guess what he is saying is if any of the three involved parties had shot and killed Rittenhouse they could have equally claimed self-defense. If that's the case, I don't think we can make that hypothetical leap and looking at the evidence I'd say that there is absolutely no grounds for that statement, except for possibly Grosskreutz.

Comment

Originally posted by Yankee Tripper View Post

To isolate it to one of the dead men, the question is whether Rittenhouse posed a threat to Rosenbaum before, or only after, Rosenbaum threatened Rittenhouse. The jury decided that it was only after.

If you kill someone in self-defence, it's kind of silly to argue that you posed a threat to them. The whole point is that they initiated the violence.
                    Polite Red Sox fan

Comment

To isolate it to one of the dead men, the question is whether Rittenhouse posed a threat to Rosenbaum before, or only after, Rosenbaum threatened Rittenhouse. The jury decided that it was only after.

If you kill someone in self-defence, it's kind of silly to argue that you posed a threat to them. The whole point is that they initiated the violence.
                      I’d say if you kill someone in self defense, it’s kind of silly to argue that you didn’t pose a threat to them.

And remember, the threat only has to be perceived, not actual.
                      Russian warship, go **** yourself

Comment

Originally posted by JL25and3 View Post

I’d say if you kill someone in self defense, it’s kind of silly to argue that you didn’t pose a threat to them.
                        What is the point of that argument though? Let's say someone breaks into your house with the intent of robbing you, and they're armed. You surprise them, they take a shot at you, you shoot back and kill them. So by killing them you proved that you were a threat to them. Okay, so what?

In the Rittenhouse case the jury had to decide who initiated the threat, and they decided it was not Rittenhouse but the others. End of story.
                        Polite Red Sox fan

Comment

So what was the inside information?

What I'm getting at is, wasn't it well known that if the bill passed it would include a lot of money for airports and water systems?
                          Well known to whom at what stage? The general public?
                          Scott’s already dabbled in a little Medicare fraud. I wouldn’t be giving him the benefit of the doubt on, well, anything.

Comment

Bail reform. Such a good idea:

The man arrested over the deadly Christmas parade attack in Wisconsin should have been behind bars following an arrest earlier this month, but was released on an “inappropriately low” bond days before the attack, the district attorney admitted Monday.

Darrell Brooks, 39, is charged with five counts of intentional homicide over the deadly crash on Sunday in Waukesha that left five dead and at least 48 injured, police said.

Brooks was out on $1,000 cash bail at the time of Sunday’s tragedy after he allegedly punched the mother of his child and purposefully ran her “over with his vehicle” in a Milwaukee gas station parking lot on Nov. 2, according to court documents.

He was arrested and charged that same day with resisting or obstructing an officer, reckless endangering safety, disorderly conduct, bail jumping and battery.

The Milwaukee County District Attorney’s Office said Monday it had launched an internal probe into how Brooks was given such a low bond given the seriousness of the charges and his criminal history.
                            https://nypost.com/2021/11/22/waukes...opriately-low/
                            Calmer than you are

7/30/2017: The day the Minnesota Twins bought a prospect from the New York Yankees.

Comment

Originally posted by ClownPickle View Post

Rittenhouse, who had no prior criminal history, had his bail set at 2 million when it was fairly clear on video the day after the fact that it was self defense

Comment

Originally posted by irishnotIrish View Post

Rittenhouse, who had no prior criminal history, had his bail set at 2 million when it was fairly clear on video the day after the fact that it was self defense
                                Speaking of Rittenhouse....

@ggreenwald

8h
                                Kyle Rittenhouse -- now free of all criminal liability -- did his first interview and said he believes systemic racism is a problem in the US and supports "BLM." If you think this will cause anyone to reevaluate their decree that he's a "white supremacist," you'd be incorrect.
                                @ggreenwald

8h
                                Rittenhouse has no reason to say any of this if he doesn't believe it. In fact, saying those things could undermine his self-interest, given that many on the right probably didn't want to hear them. There was never any evidence he was a "white supremacist" but that never matters.
                                @ggreenwald

8h
                                There are very few accusations you can make about someone more serious than publicly branding them as "white supremacist" or "white nationalist." But in liberal discourse, especially media discourse, there is literally no evidentiary requirement that must be met in order to do it
                                https://twitter.com/ggreenwald/statu...208139776?s=20
                                Calmer than you are

7/30/2017: The day the Minnesota Twins bought a prospect from the New York Yankees.

Comment

Working...
                                X