Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Texsahara View Post

I heard him. He tried to rape someone.
    As long as you're not passing judgement. I'm sure you didn't reach that conclusion ahead of time.

"But what people tend to forget...is that being a Yankee is as much about character as it is about performance; as much about who you are as what you do."
    - President Barack Obama

Comment

Originally posted by Maynerd View Post
      As long as you're not passing judgement. I'm sure you didn't reach that conclusion ahead of time.
      I reached it when I heard the testimony. Sorry to disrupt your narrative.

Edit: I'll add that I am not a senator charged with approving anyone. My judgement is meaningless.
      Last edited by Texsahara; 11-23-21, 12:37 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Yankee Tripper View Post

This.
        Following from this, do you think anyone who is charged with an offense involving alleged physical violence, or the threat thereof, should be held without bail?
        Polite Red Sox fan

Comment

Originally posted by HfxBob View Post

Following from this, do you think anyone who is charged with an offense involving alleged physical violence, or the threat thereof, should be held without bail?
          I think cases should be looked at individually. I don’t think you can make a blanket statement about who should and who should not. But I do believe violent offenders should be looked at much more closely in determining is they should be granted bail. I think the nature and amount of evidence against them should also weigh heavily on making that determination.
          Baseball is life;
          the rest is just details.

Comment

Originally posted by Yankee Tripper View Post

Why is there a 2 year backlog?is it because the Republican dominated legislators have underfunded the system?
            Link?

It's more because of an explosion of crime, letting people commit crime and then go do it again, hands off law enforcement, and COVID shutdowns.

Funding isn't the issue. There shouldn't be this many people in the system to process. There was a 93% increase in homicides in Milwaukee from 2019 to 2020. That's INSANE!
            Calmer than you are

7/30/2017: The day the Minnesota Twins bought a prospect from the New York Yankees.

Comment

Yes, yes, must be Democratic leadership..

The states with the highest homicide rates were Mississippi, Louisiana, Alabama, Missouri, Arkansas, South Carolina, Tennessee and Maryland.
              The states with the biggest rate increase in 2020 were Montana, South Dakota, Delaware and Kentucky
              https://patch.com/wisconsin/milwauke...wisconsin-2020

Good guys with the guns really asleep at the wheel these days.

Comment

Originally posted by philleotardo View Post

Also worth noting that the District of Columbia has a higher murder rate than any state.
                Polite Red Sox fan

Comment

Originally posted by ClownPickle View Post

Link?

It's more because of an explosion of crime, letting people commit crime and then go do it again, hands off law enforcement, and COVID shutdowns.

Funding isn't the issue. There shouldn't be this many people in the system to process. There was a 93% increase in homicides in Milwaukee from 2019 to 2020. That's INSANE!
                  It's a staffing issue over low pay.

https://www.wisconsinrightnow.com/20...iminal-courts/

In addition, a shortage of correctional officers, court clerks, and even defense attorneys, is compounding the backlogs, she told the County Board Committee. Staffing shortages are causing the court system to reexamine its processes. “We are down deputy court clerks,” she said, adding that Clerk of Circuit Courts John Barrett was working on a retention package and budget request.

Court clerks who’ve left have cited pay.

https://www.wisconsinrightnow.com/20...jail-staffing/

The decision-making authority here rests solely in the hands of the County Board and County Executive, but we’re working tirelessly to encourage fair pay for our officers,” he said, calling the current compensation for the county’s correctional officers “unacceptable low pay.”

Burnett said that starting pay for a correctional officer in Milwaukee County is $21 an hour, compared to $29 or higher in other jurisdictions.
                  Baseball is life;

Comment

Originally posted by HfxBob View Post

Also worth noting that the District of Columbia has a higher murder rate than any state.
                    And that the densely populated areas of NY, NJ, CT, MA are at or near the bottom.

I’d say the direct correlation is “how easy it is to obtain a firearm.” Restrictive DC can just go to anybody gets one Virginia.

Comment

It's more complex than the color of a state, or even a city. But even just looking at Mississippi, the first state on your list, the city with the highest rate of violent crime is Jackson, which just reelected the incumbent Democratic mayor to office with ~70% of the vote, with only 4% going to the Repub candidate (behind the vote #/% of a few other independents). There are other D led cities in that state that contain a disproportionate percentage of violent crime. I think you have to look more locally, and while I agree that having elected officials even giving the appearance of being blasÚ towards crime is going to draw some interest from criminals, probably the more correlative condition than political party is poverty level.

Comment

Originally posted by False1 View Post
                        It's more complex than the color of a state, or even a city. But even just looking at Mississippi, the first state on your list, the city with the highest rate of violent crime is Jackson, which just reelected the incumbent Democratic mayor to office with ~70% of the vote, with only 4% going to the Repub candidate (behind the vote #/% of a few other independents). There are other D led cities in that state that contain a disproportionate percentage of violent crime. I think you have to look more locally, and while I agree that having elected officials even giving the appearance of being blasÚ towards crime is going to draw some interest from criminals, probably the more correlative condition than political party is poverty level.
                        To say crime is a Republican or Democratic problem is always a gross over simplification of the issue. How each party wants to address and correct it is often VERY different.
                        Baseball is life;

Comment

Do mayors generally institute policy? Usually state legislators draw less attention on the ballot but carry more weight in lawmaking. I had the misfortune of watching Utah state legislators from well outside the area attack, often successfully, SLC Mayor Erin Mendenhall’s Covid strategies. I assume it’s just as bad or worse in other regions.

Comment

Do mayors generally institute policy? Usually state legislators draw less attention on the ballot but carry more weight in lawmaking. I had the misfortune of watching Utah state legislators from well outside the area attack, often successfully, SLC Mayor Erin Mendenhall’s Covid strategies. I assume it’s just as bad or worse in other regions.
                            When it comes to local law enforcement policy, absolutely.

EDIT: Also, just to bring the conversation back around to where it started, the DA in Milwaukee County is a democrat who early in his career was recognized by law enforcement as extremely effective at prosecuting gang and gun related crimes and should also be recognized for aggressively investigating and prosecuting numerous officials in Scott Walker's office, which of course was met with accusations of partisan motivations. He has more recently sellf-syled as a progressive touting numerous left-leaning reforms as it relates to hiss office.

In a quote that has not aged well, he stated many moons ago:

"Is there going to be an individual I divert, or I put into treatment program, who's going to go out and kill somebody?" he reportedly told the Milwaukee Sentinel-Journal in 2007. "You bet. Guaranteed. It's guaranteed to happen. It does not invalidate the overall approach."

There have been other complaints of criminals receiving leniency that have led to avoidable deaths over the years since then, but obviously none as noteworthy as this one.

Comment

When it comes to local law enforcement policy, absolutely.

EDIT: Also, just to bring the conversation back around to where it started, the DA in Milwaukee County is a democrat who early in his career was recognized by law enforcement as extremely effective at prosecuting gang and gun related crimes and should also be recognized for aggressively investigating and prosecuting numerous officials in Scott Walker's office, which of course was met with accusations of partisan motivations. He has more recently sellf-syled as a progressive touting numerous left-leaning reforms as it relates to hiss office.

In a quote that has not aged well, he stated many moons ago:

"Is there going to be an individual I divert, or I put into treatment program, who's going to go out and kill somebody?" he reportedly told the Milwaukee Sentinel-Journal in 2007. "You bet. Guaranteed. It's guaranteed to happen. It does not invalidate the overall approach."

There have been other complaints of criminals receiving leniency that have led to avoidable deaths over the years since then, but obviously none as noteworthy as this one.
                              Yikes! That's some quote!!
                              Calmer than you are

7/30/2017: The day the Minnesota Twins bought a prospect from the New York Yankees.

Comment

Originally posted by ClownPickle View Post

Yikes! That's some quote!!
                                What’s the problem? He’s absolutely right. Parolees kill people, too, but we don’t invalidate the entire parole system because of it.
                                Russian warship, go **** yourself

Comment

Working...
                                X