Non-Presidential News Stories That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by False1 View Post
    Didn't he just indicate a few posts earlier that he supports reducing the budget in conjunction with reducing overseas forces? It doesn't sound to me like he is advocating for more expense, or railing against reducing waste, but simply stating that he wants to ensure troops that are deployed receive the tools and support they need. Doesn't seem particularly shocking or biased to me.
    The idea that they would not take care of those troops if the budget were reduced is preposterous.

Comment

To be clear I support the troops as I want them to return healthy. I do not support the decision makers. Our country is LESS safe for a ur military actions. For we are the creators of Al Qaeda and ISIS

Comment

For the neo cons. Military spend anything you want! Waste it no order Ken. The poor? Starve you losers!

Comment

Originally posted by Texsahara View Post

The idea that they would not take care of those troops if the budget were reduced is preposterous.
          Is it? I sincerely don't know. I mean, if the VA is any indication of the prioritization of the well-being of those in the armed forces I don't know how you could be so sure.

Incidentally I am all for trimming fat where possible and (like Maynerd, and I think like you as well) reducing our overseas footprint where it makes sense.

Comment

Originally posted by YankeePride1967 View Post
            For the neo cons. Military spend anything you want! Waste it no order Ken. The poor? Starve you losers!
            You've said this now like 10 times in the last two pages. If you haven't been heard yet, repeating isn't going to solve that problem.

Comment

If a private business were run financially like the military, the entire senior management team would be fired

Comment

Originally posted by Bub View Post
                I wish these elected officials would stop with the “where are we going to get the money” nonsense. The money comes from the US government. It’s either printed or made up in electronic records. There is no US government piggy bank where they take money out of to pay for stuff.
                Hmmm, well, the government does collect a lot of money from taxes and fees and so on. Are you saying they don't use that money to pay for stuff?

It sounds like you're saying the government operates by simply printing more currency.
                Polite Red Sox fan

Comment

Originally posted by False1 View Post
                  Didn't he just indicate a few posts earlier that he supports reducing the budget in conjunction with reducing overseas forces? It doesn't sound to me like he is advocating for more expense, or railing against reducing waste, but simply stating that he wants to ensure troops that are deployed receive the tools and support they need. Doesn't seem particularly shocking or biased to me.
                  I gone in circles with Maynerd over it too many times to want to rehash it.
                  Baseball is life;
                  the rest is just details.

Comment

Maynerd is obviously right when he points out that government waste is hardly confined to defense. I must also concede that the amount of money spend on defense is staggering.
                    Polite Red Sox fan

Comment

Originally posted by HfxBob View Post

Hmmm, well, the government does collect a lot of money from taxes and fees and so on. Are you saying they don't use that money to pay for stuff?

It sounds like you're saying the government operates by simply printing more currency.
                      Problem is this question is only asked in certain situations. Most of which are bills to help the poor

Comment

But saying that the money spent on defense is clearly wasted because the country hasn't won any wars since the 1940's, that's a horrible argument.
                        Polite Red Sox fan

Comment

Originally posted by YankeePride1967 View Post

Problem is this question is only asked in certain situations. Most of which are bills to help the poor
                          I don't disagree that more needs to be done for the poor. Once again this is not an problem exclusive to your country. In my city we have a significant population of homeless people. Why doesn't our government do something for them too? The rich people, generally, like to hold onto their money. It's been like that through human history, and governments have never solved it.
                          Polite Red Sox fan

Comment

Originally posted by HfxBob View Post

That’s exactly right. I’m not going to get into federal monetary policy, but collecting taxes is a means to remove money from the public, mostly achieving redistribution of dollars from the wealthy to the not so wealthy, but also to keep inflation in check. No other government body, state or local, works like this. However any other country in the world that issues its own currency does work like this.
                            Let the kids play.

Comment

Originally posted by Bub View Post

That’s exactly right. I’m not going to get into federal monetary policy, but collecting taxes is a means to remove money from the public, mostly achieving redistribution of dollars from the wealthy to the not so wealthy, but also to keep inflation in check. No other government body, state or local, works like this. However any other country in the world that issues its own currency does work like this.
                              I understand very little about monetary policy and economics, but I thought it was a basic principle that the more money a government puts into circulation, the less value the money has.
                              Polite Red Sox fan

Comment

Originally posted by Maynerd View Post
                                This is.......disgusting.

The American Soldier defends the freedom of the American People, even those who are unappreciative and undeserving.
                                Actually they defend and perpetuate the bombing of brown people for the gain of ultra wealthy white men.

They're recruited largely from poor communities that have little other opportunity. THAT is disgusting.
                                "Our work continues, the fight goes on, and the big dreams never die." -- Elizabeth Warren

Comment

Working...
                                X