Non-Presidential News Stories That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jlw1980 View Post

Actually they defend and perpetuate the bombing of brown people for the gain of ultra wealthy white men.

They're recruited largely from poor communities that have little other opportunity. THAT is disgusting.
    This. Joining the military is often the only way many poor can get a college education. I know the right picture recruits driving to the base with Lee Greenwood’s “God Bless the USA” blasting on the way. The truth is often quite different. And for some it is the only way out. Which is why the poor fight wars and the rich practice flying planes in the US like Bush when there was a draft or not serving at all like most do not now. The military is a money making tool for Wall Street. Again we have fought in many wars since 1945. We lost almost all of them and none had losing our sovereignty as a result.

Comment

Originally posted by YankeePride1967 View Post

This. Joining the military is often the only way many poor can get a college education. I know the right picture recruits driving to the base with Lee Greenwood’s “God Bless the USA” blasting on the way. The truth is often quite different. And for some it is the only way out. Which is why the poor fight wars and the rich practice flying planes in the US like Bush when there was a draft or not serving at all like most do not now. The military is a money making tool for Wall Street. Again we have fought in many wars since 1945. We lost almost all of them and none had losing our sovereignty as a result.
      Do you envision the world as a better, safer place if the US had no military at all, no nuclear capability? That's a leading question, but you know what I'm getting at. I think of the main purpose of the US's military power as protection and deterrent against other heavily armed and technologically advanced countries that are essentially hostile. The balance of power with Russia and China and North Korea and Iran/Iraq. To me that's more important than the involvements in other countries which have been 'lost' as you keep saying. And it costs a lot of money, yes.
      Polite Red Sox fan

Comment

Originally posted by HfxBob View Post

I understand very little about monetary policy and economics, but I thought it was a basic principle that the more money a government puts into circulation, the less value the money has.
        That’s correct. If the government spends an additional trillion dollars and taxes an additional trillion dollars they effectively added nothing to dollars in circulation. However, deficit spending is basically only a problem if it causes high inflation. The inflation we’re seeing now likely has little to do with over spending but we’ll know for sure after this pandemic is behind us.
        Let the kids play.

Comment

Originally posted by Bub View Post

That’s correct. If the government spends an additional trillion dollars and taxes an additional trillion dollars they effectively added nothing to dollars in circulation. However, deficit spending is basically only a problem if it causes high inflation. The inflation we’re seeing now likely has little to do with over spending but we’ll know for sure after this pandemic is behind us.
          Since the entire world is experiencing increased inflation it has little to do with the recent bills passed by Congress.

As for the military, I know we need to fund and support them, but "being audited by the DoD" is not reassuring, least of all because you can't audit yourself and even still they have never passed an audit.

https://www.npr.org/2021/05/19/99796...to-change-that

"The Pentagon and the military industrial complex have been plagued by a massive amount of waste, fraud and financial mismanagement for decades. That is absolutely unacceptable," said Sen. Bernie Sanders, I-Vt., who co-sponsored the bill with Sen. Chuck Grassley, R-Iowa, along with Sens. Ron Wyden, D-Ore., and Mike Lee, R-Utah.

Despite having trillions of dollars in assets and receiving hundreds of billions in federal dollars annually, the department has never detailed its assets and liabilities in a given year. For the past three financial years, the Defense Department's audit has resulted in a "Disclaimer of Opinion," meaning the auditor didn't get enough accounting records to form an assessment.

Comment

Originally posted by False1 View Post
            Is it? I sincerely don't know. I mean, if the VA is any indication of the prioritization of the well-being of those in the armed forces I don't know how you could be so sure.

Incidentally I am all for trimming fat where possible and (like Maynerd, and I think like you as well) reducing our overseas footprint where it makes sense.
            Yes. Yee it is. Comparing closing a base overseas and taking care of those troops to some mishandling of the VA is equally preposterous. Maynerd believes the DoD has to make financial cuts by eliminating foreign bases and bringing those troops home before making any budget reductions. There is zero motivation for them to do that. There is not a single gov office that operates like that. Belts are tightened when budgets are cut and not a second sooner. As stands congress gives them whatever they want and sometimes add a tip to that with very few questions asked. If they are given a smaller budget it falls on them to decide how to best use it. If closing bases makes sense they'll budget for that. If building fewer fighter jets makes sense they'll budget that way. No soldier is going to be left in harm's way, given an MRE, and a bus ticket home. You know better.

Comment

Originally posted by RhodyYanksFan View Post

Since the entire world is experiencing increased inflation it has little to do with the recent bills passed by Congress.

As for the military, I know we need to fund and support them, but "being audited by the DoD" is not reassuring, least of all because you can't audit yourself and even still they have never passed an audit.

https://www.npr.org/2021/05/19/99796...to-change-that
              Swift action toward reduction of waste and increase of accountability is clearly necessary.
              Polite Red Sox fan

Comment

Originally posted by Texsahara View Post

Yes. Yee it is. Comparing closing a base overseas and taking care of those troops to some mishandling of the VA is equally preposterous. Maynerd believes the DoD has to make financial cuts by eliminating foreign bases and bringing those troops home before making any budget reductions. There is zero motivation for them to do that. There is not a single gov office that operates like that. Belts are tightened when budgets are cut and not a second sooner. As stands congress gives them whatever they want and sometimes add a tip to that with very few questions asked. If they are given a smaller budget it falls on them to decide how to best use it. If closing bases makes sense they'll budget for that. If building fewer fighter jets makes sense they'll budget that way. No soldier is going to be left in harm's way, given an MRE, and a bus ticket home. You know better.
                Case in point, Congress this year is about to pass a defense bill providing $10 billion MORE than the DOD requested. Yet 4 days of f family leave we can’t afford

Comment

As far as how detailed oversight and auditing in the military goes, my son started A school in September. Less than a week in, he messaged us saying “Dudes are in here pretending to be gay married to their friends from home so they can get the extra benefits.”

That’s the stuff a brand new guy at the bottom of the ladder knows about. Multiply by ….?

Comment

Originally posted by YankeePride1967 View Post

Case in point, Congress this year is about to pass a defense bill providing $10 billion MORE than the DOD requested. Yet 4 days of f family leave we can’t afford
                    Fair point.
                    Polite Red Sox fan

Comment

Originally posted by philleotardo View Post
                      As far as how detailed oversight and auditing in the military goes, my son started A school in September. Less than a week in, he messaged us saying “Dudes are in here pretending to be gay married to their friends from home so they can get the extra benefits.”

That’s the stuff a brand new guy at the bottom of the ladder knows about. Multiply by ….?
                      That's pretty sickening alright.
                      Polite Red Sox fan

Comment

Could we not do that? I'm not sure why you'd try to imply I'm being disingenuous.

For a crowd that expresses a pretty skeptical view of the DoD in general, I'm not sure why we'd presume that belt tightening would happen without any impacts to investment in troop safety and security. Reducing personnel and equipment and technical sophistication certainly isn't improving safety for those that get put in harm's way.

Comment

This is rather gross. I'm no fan of some of Omar's policies, but these types of racist/xenophobic comments against her have no place in the halls of congress. They should be condemned swiftly and without exception.
                          Code:

Comment

Originally posted by False1 View Post
                            Could we not do that? I'm not sure why you'd try to imply I'm being disingenuous.

For a crowd that expresses a pretty skeptical view of the DoD in general, I'm not sure why we'd presume that belt tightening would happen without any impacts to investment in troop safety and security. Reducing personnel and equipment and technical sophistication certainly isn't improving safety for those that get put in harm's way.

​​​​​​The DoD is not going to cut their own budget and why would they. So...the way to get foreign bases closed and troops brought home is to stop funding it but you can't stop funding it unless they first close the bases and bring troops home. Lol perfect.

Comment

​​​​​​The DoD is not going to cut their own budget and why would they. So...the way to get foreign bases closed and troops brought home is to stop funding it but you can't stop funding it unless they first close the bases and bring troops home. Lol perfect.
                              Why not put pressure on elected officials to do just that? We just left Afghanistan. Why can't we exit in other areas where our presence isn't required and might actually be increasing anti-American sentiment/risk?

I'm all for reducing spending in this area, and more important improving military spending. I just don't think Maynerd's take is as outlandish as some of you do.

Comment

Wall Street will never allow the defense budget to be cut.

Comment

Working...
                                X