No announcement yet.

Non-Presidential News Stories That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I will be sad to see Justice Breyer go, but am very relieved that he decided to.
    -Kevin

"My point is you can't compare things with statistics." Joe Morgan

"I'd have won that trial. I've often said that." Stephen A. Smith on the OJ Simpson trial

RIP, Pete.

Comment

Originally posted by YFIB View Post

It's funny how no one makes a fuss when the pool is limited to other minority groups - like those who don't think abortion should be legal.
      Also, no one makes the "best candidate regardless of race" argument when the nominee is white.
      Russian warship, go **** yourself

Comment

Clown Pickle’s “someone somewhere is praising a black person” radar is whisper sensitive. Even before a name is attached.

Comment

Originally posted by Yankee Tripper View Post
          Well when Trump nominated a BeerBro clown who shouted about Clinton conspiracies what would you expect?

I don't recall a huge circus over Gorsuch even though the Republicans Stonewalled the nomination process of Garland under Obama to pack the court with their guy.

And other than Coney Baretts obvious religious organizations affiliation potential conflicts of interest questions I don't recall a big circus then.

But honestly I'm expecting whomever gets nominated to pass 51-50 with zero Republican votes but we'll see.
          There should've been a huge circus with Gorsuch, who was and is an illegitimate justice. There wasn't. Maynerd and the "both sides" strike again.
          "Our work continues, the fight goes on, and the big dreams never die." -- Elizabeth Warren

Comment

Originally posted by philleotardo View Post
            Clown Pickle’s “someone somewhere is praising a black person” radar is whisper sensitive. Even before a name is attached.
            Heh!
            "Our work continues, the fight goes on, and the big dreams never die." -- Elizabeth Warren

Comment

Originally posted by JL25and3 View Post

Also, no one makes the "best candidate regardless of race" argument when the nominee is white.
              Right. They simply say "the best candidate," and discriminators such as race or gender are superfluous. No one says "I'm going to nominate a white male" either. That would be racist/sexist/offensive. But, limit the list to black females, and everyone is good with it. Somehow, the obverse of that coin is not offensive.

"But what people tend to forget...is that being a Yankee is as much about character as it is about performance; as much about who you are as what you do."
              - President Barack Obama

Comment

Originally posted by Maynerd View Post
                Right. They simply say "the best candidate," and discriminators such as race or gender are superfluous. No one says "I'm going to nominate a white male" either. That would be racist/sexist/offensive. But, limit the list to black females, and everyone is good with it. Somehow, the obverse of that coin is not offensive.
                Probably why 85% of Trump judicial nominees where white and 76% were male.
                Baseball is life;
                the rest is just details.

Comment

Well said as always. Be nice if they even pretended they weren't nominating someone based on race/sex. It's scary how out in the open and accepted it is.
                  Calmer than you are

7/30/2017: The day the Minnesota Twins bought a prospect from the New York Yankees.

Comment

After all of these years and the countless pages of free education that have been provided here, I'm not sure if you truly (willfully) don't grasp the difference between these two scenarios or if you just want to goad people.

Comment

Y'all are always the best candidates, YT. Duh.

Comment

86% of all lawyers are non-Hispanic whites, and only 37% are women.
                        Calmer than you are

7/30/2017: The day the Minnesota Twins bought a prospect from the New York Yankees.

Comment

Originally posted by jlw1980 View Post

Y'all are always the best candidates, YT. Duh.
                          Not for the guy you seem to bash on a regular basis.

https://www.npr.org/2021/12/28/10672...ations-diverse
                          Former President Donald Trump's 226 judges were overwhelmingly white and male.
                          A new analysis concluded that nearly 75% of Biden's picks have been women, and nearly 65% have been people of color, according to Alliance for Justice, a liberal coalition that works on court and judicial issues.
                          Baseball is life;
                          the rest is just details.

Comment

Originally posted by ClownPickle View Post

Well said as always. Be nice if they even pretended they weren't nominating someone based on race/sex. It's scary how out in the open and accepted it is.
                            No one is getting nominated solely based on their race/gender. If you think any of the 3 justices selected during the Trump administration were actually the best candidates for the job, you have a very low opinion of people who graduated from law school.

Comment

Not for the guy you seem to bash on a regular basis.

https://www.npr.org/2021/12/28/10672...ations-diverse
                              So they're just beginning to right some historical and ongoing wrongs? Doing the bare minimum? White dudes don't get kudos for the bare minimum. There's still plenty to bash him for.

(I'm confused by your snarky comment, since I was agreeing with you.)

Comment

Originally posted by YFIB View Post

No one is getting nominated solely based on their race/gender. If you think any of the 3 justices selected during the Trump administration were actually the best candidates for the job, you have a very low opinion of people who graduated from law school.
                                Next you'll tell me Kamala Harris got the VP nod because of her warm and lovable personality.
                                Calmer than you are

Comment

Working...
                                X