Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Non-Presidential News Stories That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Originally posted by Texsahara View Post
    Preferring men's bball to women's is not some genetic predisposition. It's learned behavior. Someone being bigger stronger faster doesn't automatically make a spectator sport better. Many people prefer watching women's tennis. US women's soccer has higher ratings than the men's. There is a ridiculous amount sexism baked in to sports. That's not really disputable. It doesn't mean you are a sexist for preferring to watch men dribble. Like I said, I don't enjoy women's bball at all and I'm a woman. But I also can recognize that I grew up in a state that worships men's college basketball and it was everything to me as a child. If you raise a daughter to participate in sports and only watch women's sports with her, it would not be a surprise if she grew to prefer them. But it also wouldn't be a surprise if she didn't because of the publicity, marketing, money, production value, etc that men's sports gets. The sexism is not found in what you personally like but in how we got here in the first place.
    Every sport is different. I think it is fair to say the quality of men's basketball is greater than that of women's basketball because men have advantages in things that are directly related to performance in basketball.

    Some men are better than other men at sports too. Why have alternate mens professional sports leagues failed? Because the product is terrible.

    Comment


      Originally posted by Texsahara View Post
      Preferring men's bball to women's is not some genetic predisposition. It's learned behavior. Someone being bigger stronger faster doesn't automatically make a spectator sport better. Many people prefer watching women's tennis. US women's soccer has higher ratings than the men's. There is a ridiculous amount sexism baked in to sports. That's not really disputable. It doesn't mean you are a sexist for preferring to watch men dribble. Like I said, I don't enjoy women's bball at all and I'm a woman. But I also can recognize that I grew up in a state that worships men's college basketball and it was everything to me as a child. If you raise a daughter to participate in sports and only watch women's sports with her, it would not be a surprise if she grew to prefer them. But it also wouldn't be a surprise if she didn't because of the publicity, marketing, money, production value, etc that men's sports gets. The sexism is not found in what you personally like but in how we got here in the first place.
      "This is everyone else's fault but women."

      Problem in women sports is that women don't want to watch women sports. They prefer to watch Desperate Housewives & Keeping up w/ the Kardashians. Naturally, the marketing, publicity, and money follows. So instead of Brittney Griner being able to make enough money in the United States, she needs to go to Russia to supplement her income. Kylie Jenner on the other hand can afford to take a 17 minute private flight around LA. Don't like that type of inequality? Time to step up to reality and point the finger inward. The money will follow accordingly.

      Comment


        Originally posted by ClownPickle View Post

        "This is everyone else's fault but women."

        Problem in women sports is that women don't want to watch women sports. They prefer to watch Desperate Housewives & Keeping up w/ the Kardashians. Naturally, the marketing, publicity, and money follows. So instead of Brittney Griner being able to make enough money in the United States, she needs to go to Russia to supplement her income. Kylie Jenner on the other hand can afford to take a 17 minute private flight around LA. Don't like that type of inequality? Time to step up to reality and point the finger inward. The money will follow accordingly.
        Yes. That's it. Women slink out of the womb craving the Kardashians 🤣

        Comment


          Originally posted by Texsahara View Post

          Yes. That's it. Women slink out of the womb craving the Kardashians 🤣
          I'm super glad to learn from a man what women like to watch (which I wouldn't know if you people stopped quoting that, uh, expert on women's issues. Lol). I've never watched an episode of Real Housewives or the Kardashians, but I'm so glad to learn from a man what women like. We are too silly to know, after all. This is not a knock on those who do like those shows, btw. I'm just not one of them. I like baseball and Stranger Things. What can I say? Guess I'm not a woman. Or something.

          (This site allows overt sexism and it's really disgusting. Exhausting, too.)

          Comment


            Nobody has said anything sexist.

            Comment


              Originally posted by irishnotIrish View Post
              Nobody has said anything sexist.
              You don't get to decide what is and isn't sexist.

              Sigh

              Comment


                Originally posted by jlw1980 View Post

                You don't get to decide what is and isn't sexist.

                Sigh
                I think intellectual ability would be more reliable in determining what is reasonably sexist and what is not. Not gender

                Comment


                  Golf is another sport where the men's game is much more lucrative than the women's game. The LPGA prize money is about one-tenth of the men's prize money. As a golf fan who appreciates how good the LPGA players are, I think it's a shame.
                  Polite Red Sox fan

                  Comment


                    Originally posted by irishnotIrish View Post

                    I think intellectual ability would be more reliable in determining what is reasonably sexist and what is not. Not gender
                    Aye yie yie

                    Comment


                      Originally posted by HfxBob View Post
                      Golf is another sport where the men's game is much more lucrative than the women's game. The LPGA prize money is about one-tenth of the men's prize money. As a golf fan who appreciates how good the LPGA players are, I think it's a shame.
                      I agree.

                      Comment


                        Anyway, I signed up to send postcards to Democratic voters in swing states -- mine are all in my own state -- who may not be inclined to vote in a midterm election. The minimum was 200, but I was ambitious and signed up for 300. Not only will this kill my hand, even if I only do 25 at a time, but I was not thinking about the fact that 300 postcard stamps at 44 cents apiece is going to cost me $132. The mailing date for all of them is in late October. (I already got my shipment of postcards and 300 names/addresses.) I guess I'll be breaking that up and buying 50-100 or so stamps at a time. Sheesh. 😭😆

                        Comment


                          Originally posted by jlw1980 View Post
                          Anyway, I signed up to send postcards to Democratic voters in swing states -- mine are all in my own state -- who may not be inclined to vote in a midterm election. The minimum was 200, but I was ambitious and signed up for 300. Not only will this kill my hand, even if I only do 25 at a time, but I was not thinking about the fact that 300 postcard stamps at 44 cents apiece is going to cost me $132. The mailing date for all of them is in late October. (I already got my shipment of postcards and 300 names/addresses.) I guess I'll be breaking that up and buying 50-100 or so stamps at a time. Sheesh. 😭😆
                          Your hand? Pretty sure this is why we have children 😂

                          Comment


                            Originally posted by irishnotIrish View Post
                            Nobody has said anything sexist.
                            She's broken thoroughly. Don't bother.

                            Comment


                              Originally posted by HfxBob View Post
                              Golf is another sport where the men's game is much more lucrative than the women's game. The LPGA prize money is about one-tenth of the men's prize money. As a golf fan who appreciates how good the LPGA players are, I think it's a shame.
                              I don’t mind going out and hacking a golf ball around the course now and then but I’ve never understood watching golf. It’s like watching paint dry.
                              Baseball is life;
                              the rest is just details.

                              Comment


                                Originally posted by Texsahara View Post

                                Your hand? Pretty sure this is why we have children 😂
                                Mine are fairly little. The younger one couldn't fit everything on a postcard, and the older one chooses not to write nicely. He figures it doesn't matter because he gets straight A's, anyway. I'm not going to complain too much about his handwriting. 😆

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X