Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JL25and3
    replied
    "I still have a dream this morning: (Yes) one day all of God’s black children will be respected like his white children." -Ebenezer Baptist Church, July 4, 1965

Does that make it clearer?

Leave a comment:

• Texsahara
    replied

Leave a comment:

• philleotardo
    replied
    “I think the tragedy is that we have a Congress with a Senate that has a minority of misguided senators who will use the filibuster to keep the majority of people from even voting.”

Leave a comment:

• jlw1980
    replied
    Some light reading for you.
    Yale history professor Timothy Snyder cited the high degree of polarization, beliefs in alternative realities, and the celebration of violence.

Leave a comment:

• Texsahara
    replied
    Originally posted by jlw1980 View Post

Hate cannot drive out hate, Tex.
    No idea what you are referring to 🤷

Leave a comment:

• jlw1980
    replied
    Originally posted by Texsahara View Post

I'd say worse than that is the hard look we are getting at the "White moderate who is more devoted to 'order' than to justice."
    Hate cannot drive out hate, Tex.

Leave a comment:

• Texsahara
    replied
    Originally posted by philleotardo View Post
    Entering the most insufferable 36 hours of the year- right wingers pretending that they align with MLK by misappropriating the one quote that they know
    I'd say worse than that is the hard look we are getting at the "White moderate who is more devoted to 'order' than to justice."

Leave a comment:

• jlw1980
    replied
    Originally posted by philleotardo View Post
    Entering the most insufferable 36 hours of the year- right wingers pretending that they align with MLK by misappropriating the one quote that they know
    For real.

Leave a comment:

• philleotardo
    replied

Leave a comment:

• jlw1980
    replied
    This is a good thread about how the 1/6/21 GOP coup was supposed to take place. This could happen again. It could be successful next time.
    “THREAD. Since there’s so much [waves hands everywhere] crazy coming up all of a sudden, let me break down the theory of how the overturning of the election was supposed to go down:”

Leave a comment:

• jlw1980
    replied
    The hostages are free and suspect is dead. What a relief.

Leave a comment:

• jlw1980
    replied
    I'm terrified for the four Jewish hostages of an Islamic extremist in Texas. They're inside of a synagogue. 😢

Leave a comment:

• False1
    replied
    Originally posted by YankeePride1967 View Post
    Inflation is a concern but a fixable one. Get vaccinated, end the pandemic, pay workers fairly and get them back to work. But it isn’t just covid, it is as usual, corporate greed. 2/3 of public corporations have seen their profits increase during the pandemic so they aren’t just passing increased costs on to us. They are adding some added profits too. Case in point, General Mills did a huge stock buy back and saw profits increase by 20%. It isn’t all natural inflation. And many industries such as the meat industry have little to zero competition.
    I'll set aside the "get vaccinated = end the pandemic" discussion because that won't lead anywhere good. Paying workers fairly is something I support, and while that should increase the labor force and if executed properly help with supply chain issues, those increased costs create inflationary risks in and of themselves.

Where are you getting your General Mills info from?

https://www.startribune.com/inflatio...gis/600129114/

General Mills is taking in more money but also spending more as the cost for everything from oats to cardboard continues to rise, denting the food maker's profit.

The company, like all of its peers, has raised consumer prices on its food products — but it's not enough to offset increased expenses caused by supply chain backlogs and inflation.

The Golden Valley-based packaged food giant on Tuesday reported its quarterly earnings fell 13% for the second quarter, ended Nov. 28.

Its $5 billion in revenue for the three-month period was 6% higher than at the same time a year ago. But General Mills' overall profit fell from $688 million to $597 million.

General Mills has seen double-digit price increases for raw and packaging materials; the index price of oats has more than doubled in the past year, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, and wheat prices are at their highest level in more than a decade.

Transportation costs are also higher than expected, chief financial officer Kofi Bruce told the Star Tribune.
    I'm not crying any tears for General Mills. They still made plenty of money and as you indicated they are still paying dividends and repurchasing stock. Just trying to clarify that their profits are down, certainly not up 20%. Also, there are many reasons for companies to pay dividends and buy back shares and many consumers benefit from those decisions through the stock market. I personally think buy backs at record prices are in many cases dumb and that excess capital could be reinvested back in the business/people or even just paid to shareholders but I'm also not a CEO that has to answer to shareholders.

If you owned a donut shop, and your costs went up 10% for any reason, do you just absorb that cost increase and take in less profit? Do you tell your employees that you have to reduce their hours or cut their pay to offset? Or do you typically pass most if not all of that on to your customers? I know it's easy to attack big corps but this is really how business works.

The thing that bothers me is that if inflation was utlimately transitory and some of these increased costs fall back in line in the future the % of companies that will lower their prices will be a lot closer to 0% than 100%.

Fair or not, I think stagflation is going to be something the Biden administration will have to face off with and if they don't effectively manage it there will be real political consequences.

Leave a comment:

• RhodyYanksFan
    replied
    Our broken system in one paragraph (from today's What a Day newsletter).

The filibuster and GOP gerrymandering prevent Democrats from getting legislation passed in Congress, and two lunkheads prevent them from changing the rules to fix that. Then, when a Democratic president tries to govern around a paralyzed Senate, a handful of conservative justices (appointed by Republican presidents who lost the popular vote and confirmed by Republican senators who ditched the filibuster to do so) invalidate the White House’s authority, saying that Congress needs to pass legislation. By the end of that loop, all voters get out of a Democratic trifecta is a presidential statement asking business leaders to please just do the right thing.

Leave a comment:

• YankeePride1967
    replied
    Originally posted by RhodyYanksFan View Post

It's also not just happening here. It's a worldwide inflationary period that will be solved when the pandemic is solved - something that only Democrats are trying to do.
    Exactly. Look at what happened during and after WW2. People were on rations. The pandemic in many ways disrupted the global system just as much from this perspective

Leave a comment:

Working...
X