Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Covid-19

Originally posted by ojo View Post
    So, because of all the injustice baked-into American jurisprudence, it would be wrong to levy fines against those unwilling to wear masks?

That’s bonkers.
    I do not believe it is necessary nor would it accomplish much. Now, what do you propose doing when they can't pay the fine?

Comment

Originally posted by Texsahara View Post
      I do not believe it is necessary nor would it accomplish much. Now, what do you propose doing when they can't pay the fine?
      My solution for penalties such as these has long-since been community service-based.
      “Nobody teaches life anything.” - Gabriel García Márquez

Comment

Originally posted by Texsahara View Post
        What do we do when they can't pay the fine associated with the violation of any other law? Do the poor get a 'Get Out of Jail Free' card when they get pulled over for speeding?

Where do we draw the lines? If we're not going to enforce wearing a mask because someone is poor, is speeding OK for them? Robbery? Assault? And, how poor is poor? Should a cop ask to see someone's tax returns to figure out of that violation is a ticket or a stern-talkin'-to?

If a punishment is "not necessary nor would it accomplish much," then isn't the law that would generate the punishment be "not necessary nor would it accomplish much?"

I just don't see the rationale behind passing a law and then not enforcing it. And I definitely don't see the rationale behind not fining someone because they can't afford the fine. If you can't afford the fine, just obey the law.

"But what people tend to forget...is that being a Yankee is as much about character as it is about performance; as much about who you are as what you do."
        - President Barack Obama

Comment

Comment

The NYT ran a powerful, cover story article on the fact ~100,000 people have died from the Coronavirus.

FORE!

Comment

Just to be clear, the NYT did not run this with the Trump picture in the background. The cover is very powerful. Cramming in the Trump edit to make it a political statement is remarkably disrespectful to the families of the victims (not accusing you of creating it, but you did post it here). I don’t want anyone thinking the NYT would publish such a thing.

The golfing is such an interesting criticism with Trump haters. They bash Trump for golfing and cite the tweets he made bashing Obama for golfing. So these people who are bashing Trump now are aware that they are taking the same exact approach that Trump did 5-ish years ago… and yet they go ahead with it. They’re bashing his thought process while having the exact same thought process. It’s a perfect example of flip-flopping your belief system to force the narrative of hating on Trump. The issue here is not that Trump is golfing. The issue is that Trump was an ENORMOUS hypocrite. Bash him for that.

Comment

Originally posted by The_Man_With_No_Plan View Post
                Just to be clear, the NYT did not run this with the Trump picture in the background. The cover is very powerful. Cramming in the Trump edit to make it a political statement is remarkably disrespectful to the families of the victims (not accusing you of creating it, but you did post it here). I don’t want anyone thinking the NYT would publish such a thing.

The golfing is such an interesting criticism with Trump haters. They bash Trump for golfing and cite the tweets he made bashing Obama for golfing. So these people who are bashing Trump now are aware that they are taking the same exact approach that Trump did 5-ish years ago… and yet they go ahead with it. They’re bashing his thought process while having the exact same thought process. It’s a perfect example of flip-flopping your belief system to force the narrative of hating on Trump. The issue here is not that Trump is golfing. The issue is that Trump was an ENORMOUS hypocrite. Bash him for that.
                Trump gets bashed for his golfing for 2 reasons.
                1. It’s incredibly hypocritical given how much he complained about Obama golfing.
                2. He uses it to enrich himself by golfing at his own properties.
                Baseball is life;
                the rest is just details.

Comment

Originally posted by Yankee Tripper View Post
                  Trump gets bashed for his golfing for 2 reasons.
                  1. It’s incredibly hypocritical given how much he complained about Obama golfing.
                  2. He uses it to enrich himself by golfing at his own properties.
                  I haven’t seen anyone bash him for either of those reasons (the second one is new to me… I hardly thing that’s a crime or even a fault). In the edited NYT cover page above, it’s implying that Trump doesn’t care about the dead people because he’s busy golfing. Biden tweeted something similar. It’s the same dumb argument that Trump himself had of Obama. ‘Him golfing shows he doesn’t care about his job’.

This is what kills me. It’s such a blatant, egregious display of hypocrisy… but it’s more sexy in the media to conflate him golfing with him not caring about dying Americans. There’s a legitimate criticism to make here, and Trump critics are missing it.

Comment

Trump being a hypocrite is the least of my concerns. Don't care. He's a garbage person. Hypocrisy is just the tip of the iceberg. Don't care if he golfs either. He doesn't care one bit that 100k have died. No reason to pretend otherwise. What I do care about is the example that he's choosing to set, just like when he refuses to wear a mask - "everything is fine, nothing to be worried about, go back to your normal lives." Once again, his actions will get more people killed. I'm surprised he didn't go to church since it's something he desperately wants his fan club to do.

Comment

I wouldn’t care about his golfing if he did anything useful when he wasn’t golfing. As it stands, his golf weekend is just taking a break from watching TV news, tweeting conspiracy theories, sowing discontent, encouraging lawlessness, and congratulating himself for all the nothing he’s done. I guess it’s hard work and he needs a little golf to relax.
                      History is our lessons to learn good things to do and bad things to not do.
                      - MTG

Comment

I'm going to be working for you. I'm not going to have time to go play golf.

- Donald Trump, August 8, 2016.

Comment

I don't have a problem with Trump golfing. In fact, I prefer he golfs because the more he does it, the less he can screw up.

I have a problem with Trump golfing after he bashed Obama for doing it. The hypocrisy is outrageous.

Comment

Originally posted by ojo View Post
                            I'm going to be working for you. I'm not going to have time to go play golf.

- Donald Trump, August 8, 2016.

It’s funny because you posting the edited Times cover is extremely similar to Trump sending out this tweet.

Comment

It’s funny because you posting the edited Times cover is extremely similar to Trump sending out this tweet.
                              Yeah, that's wrong on many levels.

Comment

I haven’t seen anyone bash him for either of those reasons (the second one is new to me… I hardly thing that’s a crime or even a fault). In the edited NYT cover page above, it’s implying that Trump doesn’t care about the dead people because he’s busy golfing. Biden tweeted something similar. It’s the same dumb argument that Trump himself had of Obama. ‘Him golfing shows he doesn’t care about his job’.

This is what kills me. It’s such a blatant, egregious display of hypocrisy… but it’s more sexy in the media to conflate him golfing with him not caring about dying Americans. There’s a legitimate criticism to make here, and Trump critics are missing it.
                                Presidents need down time. But him complaining about Obama then golfing more than him and spending more money doing it is rich.

Guess like Trump, you too have never read the constitution.
                                Baseball is life;
                                the rest is just details.

Comment

Working...
                                X