Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Covid-19

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Re: Covid-19

    504 deaths on May 25th is the lowest single day total for the USA since March 29th.

    Comment


      Re: Covid-19

      Originally posted by The_Man_With_No_Plan View Post
      504 deaths on May 25th is the lowest single day total for the USA since March 29th.
      Fingers crossed that holds. Weekend reporting is notoriously bad and plus the holiday but good news if it's accurate.

      Comment


        Re: Covid-19

        Originally posted by Texsahara View Post
        Fingers crossed that holds. Weekend reporting is notoriously bad and plus the holiday but good news if it's accurate.
        Yeah I was thinking that too. Was wondering if the ups and downs were correlated to weekday vs. weekend reporting. But even still, there seems to be SLIGHTLY lower highs and SLIGHTLY lower lows each week. Even the new cases are inching slowly lower for the country as a whole.

        Frustrating that we haven’t had a noticeable drop off like Italy or Spain, but certainly better than the prediction of 200,000 new cases a day by the end of May. I guess anything seems rosy compared to that… but that really was a shocking, seemingly legitimate, prediction.

        Comment


          Re: Covid-19

          Brazil Flash:

          While many of Brazil's President Bolsonaro's lousy ideas come from Trump, here is one that Trump would enjoy emulating. After installing his political hacks at the helm of Justice and the Federal Police (equivalent of the FBI), the Federal Police have executed a search and seizure warrant on the Governor of the State of Rio de Janeiro, alleging corruption in the distribution of COVID-19 relief funds. The target is a persistent critic and potential electoral rival of Bolsonaro.

          https://www.reuters.com/article/us-b...-idUSKBN2321FY

          RIO DE JANEIRO/BRASILIA (Reuters) - Brazilian federal police on Tuesday raided the residences of Rio de Janeiro Governor Wilson Witzel as part of a COVID-19 corruption probe, targeting one of President Jair Bolsonaro’s political foes as the pandemic sweeps the nation.

          Two sources and a statement from the federal police said the search warrants were part of an investigation into alleged corruption involving the use of public money destined to fight the coronavirus pandemic in Rio de Janeiro state. No arrest warrants were issued, a source said.

          In a statement, Witzel said he was innocent, and accused Bolsonaro of “interference” in the probe. He said he was “surprised and outraged” to see social media posts that suggested the president’s allies in Congress had prior knowledge of the operation, suggesting leaks and the “construction” of a false narrative against him.
          It's as if the FBI raided Andrew Cuomo's home and official residence. Trump would love it. “Congratulations to the federal police,” Bolsonaro said in Brasilia to reporters. “I just heard about it on the news.” I can see Trump saying that.
          "Deep to left! Yastrzemski will not get it! It's a home run! A three-run homer by Bucky Dent! And the Yankees now lead by a score of 3-2!" - New York Yankees announcer Bill White (October 2, 1978)

          Comment


            Re: Covid-19

            Originally posted by The_Man_With_No_Plan View Post
            Yeah I was thinking that too. Was wondering if the ups and downs were correlated to weekday vs. weekend reporting. But even still, there seems to be SLIGHTLY lower highs and SLIGHTLY lower lows each week. Even the new cases are inching slowly lower for the country as a whole.

            Frustrating that we haven’t had a noticeable drop off like Italy or Spain, but certainly better than the prediction of 200,000 new cases a day by the end of May. I guess anything seems rosy compared to that… but that really was a shocking, seemingly legitimate, prediction.
            Hopefully the downward trend in new cases and deaths will continue. Though I’m skeptical seeing all the Memorial Day maskless revelers.
            Baseball is life;
            the rest is just details.

            Comment


              Re: Covid-19

              Originally posted by Yankee Tripper View Post
              Hopefully the downward trend in new cases and deaths will continue. Though I’m skeptical seeing all the Memorial Day maskless revelers.
              How would we know?
              “Nobody teaches life anything.” - Gabriel García Márquez

              Comment


                Re: Covid-19

                Originally posted by ojo View Post
                How would we know?
                Reliable data would be nice, but might be too much to ask for at this point.
                Baseball is life;
                the rest is just details.

                Comment


                  Re: Covid-19

                  We are living in the thought bubble that gets shared when more than one person in the smoke circle is prone to outlandish paranoia.

                  Yeah man. What if there was a pandemic and people wouldn’t wear masks, maaan? And worse, what if they told you it was letting up, but they left enough clues behind to suggest they weren’t honest about the data they not only collected, but also shared?

                  We’re living in a freakin Cheech & Chong bit.
                  “Nobody teaches life anything.” - Gabriel García Márquez

                  Comment


                    Re: Covid-19

                    Along with nursing homes and prisons, meatpacking facilities have proven to be places where the virus spreads rapidly. But as dozens of plants that closed because of outbreaks begin reopening, meat companies’ reluctance to disclose detailed case counts makes it difficult to tell whether the contagion is contained or new cases are emerging even with new safety measures in place. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said there were nearly 5,000 meatpacking workers infected with the virus as of the end of last month. But the nonprofit group Food & Environment Reporting Network estimated last week that the number has climbed to more than 17,000. There have been 66 meatpacking deaths, the group said.
                    And the outbreaks may be even more extensive.

                    For weeks, local officials received conflicting signals from state leaders and meatpacking companies about how much information to release, according to internal emails from government health agencies obtained through public records requests by Columbia University’s Brown Institute for Media Innovation and provided to The New York Times. The mixed messages left many workers and their communities in the dark about the extent of the spread in parts of Iowa, Nebraska and Colorado.

                    The emails also reveal the deference some county officials have shown toward the giant meatpacking companies and how little power they have in pushing the companies to stem outbreaks.

                    https://www.nytimes.com/2020/05/25/b...sultPosition=1
                    History is our lessons to learn good things to do and bad things to not do.
                    - MTG

                    Comment


                      Re: Covid-19

                      yeah but mcconnell no more aid for unemployed and small buissnesses till any liability for these corporations for opening up too soon without proven protctions is passed in any new packages . mean while germany bailed out Lufthansa today taking over 20% of stocks to protect workers,us airlines ill be cutting soon ( a pattern) with no string attached money, thanks munchin.

                      Comment


                        Re: Covid-19

                        Kentucky has had 913 more pneumonia deaths than usual since Feb 1, suggesting COVID has killed many more than official death toll of 391. Similar unaccounted for spike in pneumonia deaths in surrounding states.

                        https://www.courier-journal.com/stor...ly/5245237002/

                        “Surrounding states are also seeing death counts several times greater than normal:

                        Indiana: 1,832 COVID-19 deaths; 2,149 pneumonia deaths (five-year average: 384)

                        Illinois: 4,856 COVID-19 deaths; 3,986 pneumonia deaths (five-year average: 782)

                        Tennessee: 336 COVID-19 deaths; 1,704 pneumonia deaths (five-year average: 611)

                        Ohio: 1,969 COVID-19 deaths; 2,327 pneumonia deaths (five-year average: 820)

                        Virginia: 1,208 COVID-19 deaths; 1,394 pneumonia deaths (five-year average: 451)

                        West Virginia: 72 COVID-19 deaths; 438 pneumonia deaths (five-year average: 117)”

                        Comment


                          Re: Covid-19

                          Originally posted by dustedroad View Post
                          Kentucky has had 913 more pneumonia deaths than usual since Feb 1, suggesting COVID has killed many more than official death toll of 391. Similar unaccounted for spike in pneumonia deaths in surrounding states.

                          https://www.courier-journal.com/stor...ly/5245237002/

                          “Surrounding states are also seeing death counts several times greater than normal:

                          Indiana: 1,832 COVID-19 deaths; 2,149 pneumonia deaths (five-year average: 384)

                          Illinois: 4,856 COVID-19 deaths; 3,986 pneumonia deaths (five-year average: 782)

                          Tennessee: 336 COVID-19 deaths; 1,704 pneumonia deaths (five-year average: 611)

                          Ohio: 1,969 COVID-19 deaths; 2,327 pneumonia deaths (five-year average: 820)

                          Virginia: 1,208 COVID-19 deaths; 1,394 pneumonia deaths (five-year average: 451)

                          West Virginia: 72 COVID-19 deaths; 438 pneumonia deaths (five-year average: 117)”
                          There you go....
                          NYYFANS: See you on the other side!

                          Comment


                            Re: Covid-19

                            16,700 new coronavirus cases for 5/26, the lowest single day number since 3/25.

                            634 deaths for 5/26, the lowest single day number (besides 5/25) since 3/30.

                            I know these one day numbers aren’t the best sample sizes, but it’s still nice to see.

                            Comment


                              Re: Covid-19

                              Originally posted by The_Man_With_No_Plan View Post
                              16,700 new coronavirus cases for 5/26, the lowest single day number since 3/25.

                              634 deaths for 5/26, the lowest single day number (besides 5/25) since 3/30.

                              I know these one day numbers aren’t the best sample sizes, but it’s still nice to see.
                              It IS nice to see. Hopefully that downward trend continues. I think the next week or so will be a big test, since that's the end of 14 days since Memorial Day weekend. Things are finally starting to open up in California. It'll really stink if we have to go backwards because of the crowds on on the holiday weekend.

                              Comment


                                Re: Covid-19

                                Originally posted by dustedroad View Post
                                Kentucky has had 913 more pneumonia deaths than usual since Feb 1, suggesting COVID has killed many more than official death toll of 391. Similar unaccounted for spike in pneumonia deaths in surrounding states.

                                https://www.courier-journal.com/stor...ly/5245237002/

                                “Surrounding states are also seeing death counts several times greater than normal:

                                Indiana: 1,832 COVID-19 deaths; 2,149 pneumonia deaths (five-year average: 384)

                                Illinois: 4,856 COVID-19 deaths; 3,986 pneumonia deaths (five-year average: 782)

                                Tennessee: 336 COVID-19 deaths; 1,704 pneumonia deaths (five-year average: 611)

                                Ohio: 1,969 COVID-19 deaths; 2,327 pneumonia deaths (five-year average: 820)

                                Virginia: 1,208 COVID-19 deaths; 1,394 pneumonia deaths (five-year average: 451)

                                West Virginia: 72 COVID-19 deaths; 438 pneumonia deaths (five-year average: 117)”
                                Originally posted by The_Man_With_No_Plan View Post
                                16,700 new coronavirus cases for 5/26, the lowest single day number since 3/25.

                                634 deaths for 5/26, the lowest single day number (besides 5/25) since 3/30.

                                I know these one day numbers aren’t the best sample sizes, but it’s still nice to see.
                                These two might be related.
                                Baseball is life;
                                the rest is just details.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X