Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Covid-19

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Re: Covid-19

    Originally posted by Tyler Durden View Post
    I know exactly 3 people who have told me they won't take it: 1 is an anti-vaxxer conspiracy nut and the other 2 are worried the clinical trials will be rushed/numbers fudged so they don't trust the gov't or big pharma to get it right until another year or so goes by.

    My hunch is that most people saying they won't take it fall into the same line of thinking as the latter 2.
    A rushed vaccine is certainly a concern.
    Bring tea for the Tillerman; Steak for the son; Wine for the woman
    who made the rain come; Seagulls sing your hearts away;
    'Cause while the sinners sin, the children play ...

    Comment


      Re: Covid-19

      Originally posted by Yankee Tripper View Post
      If a lot of people are saying they won’t take it, it is bad for everyone.
      Yes. This is a big fear of mine.

      Ugh, that's disturbing. It needs to be both effective AND safe.
      "Our work continues, the fight goes on, and the big dreams never die." -- Elizabeth Warren

      Comment


        Re: Covid-19

        at the thought of taking a vaccine administered by the United States Military under the Trump regime.

        I'll stay home thank you.
        “Nobody teaches life anything.” - Gabriel García Márquez

        Comment


          Re: Covid-19

          A rushed vaccine wouldn't be able to help anyone in politics. Any approved medicine is going to require at least one booster 28 days apart, and it might even require regular boosters every few months. And a vaccine will take time to ramp up production and distribute across the country, and then be administered at a health provider

          Originally posted by Yankee Tripper View Post
          If a lot of people are saying they won’t take it, it is bad for everyone.
          Charles Darwin would disagree with you

          Comment


            Originally posted by GordonGecko View Post
            A rushed vaccine wouldn't be able to help anyone in politics. Any approved medicine is going to require at least one booster 28 days apart, and it might even require regular boosters every few months. And a vaccine will take time to ramp up production and distribute across the country, and then be administered at a health provider



            Charles Darwin would disagree with you
            A rushed vaccine would benefit the right wing in a way that it’s helped them for the last four decades. A momentary stock market bump based on garbage. By the time most of the country realizes it’s nonsense, donors have an increased net worth and couldn’t care less whether an actual vaccine comes along.

            Comment


              Re: Covid-19

              Originally posted by philleotardo View Post
              A rushed vaccine would benefit the right wing in a way that it’s helped them for the last four decades. A momentary stock market bump based on garbage. By the time most of the country realizes it’s nonsense, donors have an increased net worth and couldn’t care less whether an actual vaccine comes along.
              I don't see how that can happen, for the reasons above and because no reputable pharma company is going to take on that liability of not properly vetting a new vaccine. All the phase 3 data will also be made available for peer review

              Comment


                Re: Covid-19

                The people already saying they will refuse to take the vaccine because it is “rushed” are anti vaxxers. Each candidate is undergoing a double blind phase 3 trial with 30,000 participants-how is that not good enough? That means that we will learn about any adverse events less the extremely rare. So when you have a virus that kills 1/200 people infected, of course you want the vaccine that at worst will have adverse events in 1/30,000 and in all likelihood will be much more rare.

                Comment


                  Re: Covid-19

                  Originally posted by billyhoyle View Post
                  The people already saying they will refuse to take the vaccine because it is “rushed” are anti vaxxers.Each candidate is undergoing a double blind phase 3 trial with 30,000 participants-how is that not good enough? That means that we will learn about any adverse events less the extremely rare. So when you have a virus that kills 1/200 people infected, of course you want the vaccine that at worst will have adverse events in 1/30,000 and in all likelihood will be much more rare.
                  I don't consider someone who is skeptical of the institutions in charge of this to be the same as someone who thinks that Bill Gates is trying to microchip everyone through vaccination.
                  Stay "We" my friends

                  Comment


                    Re: Covid-19

                    Originally posted by Tyler Durden View Post
                    I don't consider someone who is skeptical of the institutions in charge of this to be the same as someone who thinks that Bill Gates is trying to microchip everyone through vaccination.
                    You say this as if Trump is running the clinical trials. The trials are being carried out with the same rigor (double blind 30,000 participants) as they normally would and are being published. It’s not as if the vaccine is being distributed after phase 1. So yes, people who are saying they won’t take it because they don’t trust the government, without actually looking into the clinical procedure/data, are essentially equivalent in foolishness to the Bill Gates conspiracy theorists. If the vaccine doesn’t work or isn’t safe, we will find out through these phase 3 trials.

                    The level of scientific illiteracy in this country though isn’t really surprising, so I do understand why many are paranoid/skeptical-it’s a failure of our education system.

                    Comment


                      Re: Covid-19

                      Originally posted by billyhoyle View Post
                      You say this as if Trump is running the clinical trials. The trials are being carried out with the same rigor (double blind 30,000 participants) as they normally would and are being published. It’s not as if the vaccine is being distributed after phase 1. So yes, people who are saying they won’t take it because they don’t trust the government, without actually looking into the clinical procedure/data, are essentially equivalent in foolishness to the Bill Gates conspiracy theorists. If the vaccine doesn’t work or isn’t safe, we will find out through these phase 3 trials.

                      The level of scientific illiteracy in this country though isn’t really surprising, so I do understand why many are paranoid/skeptical-it’s a failure of our education system.
                      Trump's causing chaos wherever he can. That's enough for this software developer-turned cybersecurity analyst to sit out any trials until he's out of office.
                      “Nobody teaches life anything.” - Gabriel García Márquez

                      Comment


                        Re: Covid-19

                        Originally posted by ojo View Post
                        Trump's causing chaos wherever he can. That's enough for this software developer-turned cybersecurity analyst to sit out any trials until he's out of office.
                        I didn't say anything about participating in a clinical trial. By definition participating in a clinical trial is a risky decision, and those who participate are going to be those most at risk to exposure to the virus because of their jobs.

                        However, if/when the vaccine goes through the clinical trial and demonstrates safety/efficacy, you would not only be doing harm to yourself by sitting out but also to the those with with conditions that limit the ability to develop immunity from the vaccine.

                        Comment


                          Originally posted by billyhoyle View Post
                          I didn't say anything about participating in a clinical trial. By definition participating in a clinical trial is a risky decision, and those who participate are going to be those most at risk to exposure to the virus because of their jobs.

                          However, if/when the vaccine goes through the clinical trial and demonstrates safety/efficacy, you would not only be doing harm to yourself by sitting out but also to the those with with conditions that limit the ability to develop immunity from the vaccine.
                          Aren’t you assuming that something like ordinary oversight will be taking place? Everything this administration has ever done suggests that they would gladly cut whatever corners were necessary to get a vaccine on the market in October.
                          Russian warship, go **** yourself

                          Comment


                            Re: Covid-19

                            Originally posted by JL25and3 View Post
                            Aren’t you assuming that something like ordinary oversight will be taking place? Everything this administration has ever done suggests that they would gladly cut whatever corners were necessary to get a vaccine on the market in October.
                            You mean like how the Trump appointed head of the FDA gave hydroxychloroquine emergency use authorization without independent committee review and based on extremely thin, flimsy evidence that was obviously lacking the FDA's usual scientific rigor only to have to revoke it three months later? Those kind of corners?

                            Comment


                              Re: Covid-19

                              Originally posted by JL25and3 View Post
                              Aren’t you assuming that something like ordinary oversight will be taking place? Everything this administration has ever done suggests that they would gladly cut whatever corners were necessary to get a vaccine on the market in October.
                              It's really not that complicated. They are running a clinical trial in 30,000 people for each vaccine to test safety and efficacy. These are double blinded placebo controlled trials. Once the trial is complete, both you and I can read the results. Only once the trial is complete and safety/efficacy has been demonstrated will the vaccine be distributed. These are the best doctors and scientists in the world conducted these trials, and you will have the opportunity to read the results of their work. But for some reason you think corners are being cut before the results of the trial have even been published? Is this based off of your years of experience in the pharmaceutical industry? If not, I suggest listening to the experts when the trial is complete, as forgoing a safe/efficacious vaccine for COVID-19 could be a deadly decision both for you and those you encounter.

                              Comment


                                Re: Covid-19

                                Originally posted by JL25and3 View Post
                                Aren’t you assuming that something like ordinary oversight will be taking place? Everything this administration has ever done suggests that they would gladly cut whatever corners were necessary to get a vaccine on the market in October.
                                You mean an administration that has lied non-stop about the virus, as well as coined its public information campaign surrounding a vaccine, Operation Warp Speed might cut corners and over-promise on a vaccine that won’t likely be ready for any mass distribution until well into next year? Why might he do that. Hmmm...
                                “Nobody teaches life anything.” - Gabriel García Márquez

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X