Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Covid-19

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Re: Covid-19

    Originally posted by jlw1980 View Post
    New Zealand has had no cases in months. They've kicked ass.
    New Zealand has indeed done a fantastic job but they are also a pretty isolated island Nation with a population that's roughly half of New York City alone.
    Baseball is life;
    the rest is just details.

    Comment


      Re: Covid-19

      Originally posted by Yankee Tripper View Post
      Bay Area, CA.
      "Distance Learning" was a cluster#### last spring very little teacher instruction or interaction. Hoping they've worked out the bugs and actually have you know, on-line lectures this fall.


      Last spring my wife basically taught our daughter chemistry with the a little aid from Tyler DeWhit videos.
      Kahn Academy was our go to for math.
      AP World history was "Heimler's History" videos along with two teachers from Texas who alternated doing lessons on youtube before the exam.
      English, Spanish, and PE were pretty much a complete wash out beyond reading whatever books was assigned for English.
      That’s awesome. Making up the differences where you can.
      “Nobody teaches life anything.” - Gabriel García Márquez

      Comment


        Re: Covid-19

        Originally posted by Yankee Tripper View Post
        New Zealand has indeed done a fantastic job but they are also a pretty isolated island Nation with a population that's roughly half of New York City alone.
        True, but they still prove what strong leadership can accomplish. Contact tracing, shutting down, not letting anyone in, caring about their fellow citizens, etc. It's like a dream. I'd give just about anything to live there.
        "Our work continues, the fight goes on, and the big dreams never die." -- Elizabeth Warren

        Comment


          Re: Covid-19

          Originally posted by jlw1980 View Post
          True, but they still prove what strong leadership can accomplish. Contact tracing, shutting down, not letting anyone in, caring about their fellow citizens, etc. It's like a dream. I'd give just about anything to live there.
          Oh I agree. But is a lot easier to do that when you live on a island. I believe Hawaii has only done a little bit worse than New Zealand did. Both have reported less than 30 deaths. Though Hawaii population is about 1/3 of New Zealand.
          Baseball is life;
          the rest is just details.

          Comment


            Re: Covid-19

            Originally posted by jlw1980 View Post
            New Zealand has had no cases in months. They've kicked ass.
            Many people say its because of the kiwis.
            You wanna know what? You gotta problem with Luis Cessa, you gotta problem with me. And I suggest you let that one marinate

            Comment


              Re: Covid-19

              Originally posted by jlw1980 View Post
              I'd give just about anything to live there.
              I'd love to visit.

              My Dad contacted Malaria during World War II, and was sent to New Zealand to recover. He was there for about six months. After the War ended, he got letters from a girl in New Zealand for a couple years (he was single during the War). So.....maybe I have relatives there.

              "But what people tend to forget...is that being a Yankee is as much about character as it is about performance; as much about who you are as what you do."
              - President Barack Obama

              Comment


                Re: Covid-19

                NZ is one of the countries I’d like to live in.
                Bring tea for the Tillerman; Steak for the son; Wine for the woman
                who made the rain come; Seagulls sing your hearts away;
                'Cause while the sinners sin, the children play ...

                Comment


                  Re: Covid-19

                  Originally posted by Maynerd View Post
                  I'd love to visit.

                  My Dad contacted Malaria during World War II, and was sent to New Zealand to recover. He was there for about six months. After the War ended, he got letters from a girl in New Zealand for a couple years (he was single during the War). So.....maybe I have relatives there.
                  Unwed Fathers, they can’t be bothered.
                  Baseball is life;
                  the rest is just details.

                  Comment


                    Originally posted by Yankee Tripper View Post
                    New Zealand has indeed done a fantastic job but they are also a pretty isolated island Nation with a population that's roughly half of New York City alone.
                    And we are a big country full of selfish a-holes. We never stood a chance.

                    Comment


                      Re: Covid-19

                      Originally posted by Maynerd View Post
                      I'd love to visit.

                      My Dad contacted Malaria during World War II, and was sent to New Zealand to recover. He was there for about six months. After the War ended, he got letters from a girl in New Zealand for a couple years (he was single during the War). So.....maybe I have relatives there.
                      Do you have the letters?
                      "Our work continues, the fight goes on, and the big dreams never die." -- Elizabeth Warren

                      Comment


                        Re: Covid-19

                        Our superintendent has been holding zoom calls with parents every night this week - one school per night. It's been really great. He's up front, honest, and insightful. No complaints about him.

                        Last night they were talking about how they've rented tents so kids can get outside during the day and how they'll have teachers sign up so they can hold a class out there. They're gonna have wifi out there so teachers can stream to those learning at home. All great. But then he had to talk about the discussions they've had with the police chief about where the tents will be "strategically placed" and it really hit me hard. Because of our decades of failed leadership on guns, we have to think about an active shooter while my kids are getting their 1/2 hour fresh air because they're otherwise confined to one room all day because of a failed pandemic response. What a garbage country we are.

                        Comment


                          Re: Covid-19

                          Originally posted by Yankee Tripper
                          Unwed Fathers, they can’t be bothered.
                          That's what's intriguing. We just don't know anything about the mystery woman who wrote to him, nor the content of the letters, nor whether Dad wrote back to her. Romantic relationship? Something more? Something much less? No one knows.
                          Originally posted by jlw1980 View Post
                          Do you have the letters?
                          Sadly, no. I wasn't even aware of their existence until many years after Dad passed.

                          "But what people tend to forget...is that being a Yankee is as much about character as it is about performance; as much about who you are as what you do."
                          - President Barack Obama

                          Comment


                            Re: Covid-19

                            Originally posted by Maynerd View Post
                            So.....maybe I have relatives there.
                            Hahaha

                            Comment


                              Re: Covid-19

                              Originally posted by RhodyYanksFan View Post
                              Our superintendent has been holding zoom calls with parents every night this week - one school per night. It's been really great. He's up front, honest, and insightful. No complaints about him.

                              Last night they were talking about how they've rented tents so kids can get outside during the day and how they'll have teachers sign up so they can hold a class out there. They're gonna have wifi out there so teachers can stream to those learning at home. All great. But then he had to talk about the discussions they've had with the police chief about where the tents will be "strategically placed" and it really hit me hard. Because of our decades of failed leadership on guns, we have to think about an active shooter while my kids are getting their 1/2 hour fresh air because they're otherwise confined to one room all day because of a failed pandemic response. What a garbage country we are.
                              Sounds good.

                              A couple of my schools in the UK had outdoor classrooms. Each year, I’d get my kids used to learning out there is any weather. I would love my district to get large tenses for outdoor learning.

                              Our district announced their plans last week. It was better than I expected.
                              Bring tea for the Tillerman; Steak for the son; Wine for the woman
                              who made the rain come; Seagulls sing your hearts away;
                              'Cause while the sinners sin, the children play ...

                              Comment


                                Re: Covid-19

                                https://www.nytimes.com/2020/08/06/u...gtype=Homepage
                                The Unique U.S. Failure to Control the Virus
                                Required reading.

                                Yet again the richest, most advanced, "best" country on Earth is miles away from the rest of the industrialized world in positive outcomes.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X