• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Covid-19

Originally posted by RhodyYanksFan View Post
    https://www.nytimes.com/2020/08/06/u...gtype=Homepage

Required reading.

Yet again the richest, most advanced, "best" country on Earth is miles away from the rest of the industrialized world in positive outcomes.
    Is the US the most advanced?
    Bring tea for the Tillerman; Steak for the son; Wine for the woman
    who made the rain come; Seagulls sing your hearts away;
    'Cause while the sinners sin, the children play ...

Comment

Originally posted by Maynerd View Post
      That's what's intriguing. We just don't know anything about the mystery woman who wrote to him, nor the content of the letters, nor whether Dad wrote back to her. Romantic relationship? Something more? Something much less? No one knows.Sadly, no. I wasn't even aware of their existence until many years after Dad passed.
      Well if Maynerd Sr. abandoned a war baby in New Zealand I have a lower opinion of him, no offense. If was something else, romantic or other, I'm sorry you don't have the letters. I'm sure that would have been a neat family heirloom to remember him by.
      Baseball is life;
      the rest is just details.

Comment

Originally posted by Yankee Tripper View Post
        Well if Maynerd Sr. abandoned a war baby in New Zealand I have a lower opinion of him, no offense.
        None taken. Again, there's not a shred of evidence there was ever a war baby; it just made for juicy gossip among my Dad's six sisters when letters started arriving after Dad returned home.

Dad's been gone for over 50 years now. No one will ever know about "the girl in New Zealand."

"But what people tend to forget...is that being a Yankee is as much about character as it is about performance; as much about who you are as what you do."
        - President Barack Obama

Comment

None taken. Again, there's not a shred of evidence there was ever a war baby; it just made for juicy gossip among my Dad's six sisters when letters started arriving after Dad returned home.

Dad's been gone for over 50 years now. No one will ever know about "the girl in New Zealand."
          Dad's six sisters.

Good grief.
          “Nobody teaches life anything.” - Gabriel García Márquez

Comment

Originally posted by ojo View Post
            Dad's six sisters.

Good grief.
            Irish Catholic family in the early 20th Century. I don't think they were considered to be an exceptionally large family, back then.

One of the Sisters was technically a cousin, but she had been raised by my grandparents, so the distinction was lost. Dad also had one Brother, so, counting my grandparents, there were ten of them in the house.

"But what people tend to forget...is that being a Yankee is as much about character as it is about performance; as much about who you are as what you do."
            - President Barack Obama

Comment

Irish Catholic family in the early 20th Century. I don't think they were considered to be an exceptionally large family, back then.

One of the Sisters was technically a cousin, but she had been raised by my grandparents, so the distinction was lost. Dad also had one Brother, so, counting my grandparents, there were ten of them in the house.
              sounds like the Monty Python skit in the Meaning of Life. LOL

Dad was the youngest of 5 with 4 older sisters. They had 1 bathroom. I can't imagine.
              Baseball is life;
              the rest is just details.

Comment

They had 1 bathroom. I can't imagine.
                Houses back then that had more than one bathroom were called mansions. Almost unheard-of.

They were different times.

- President Barack Obama

Comment

Originally posted by RhodyYanksFan View Post
                  Our superintendent has been holding zoom calls with parents every night this week - one school per night. It's been really great. He's up front, honest, and insightful. No complaints about him.

Last night they were talking about how they've rented tents so kids can get outside during the day and how they'll have teachers sign up so they can hold a class out there. They're gonna have wifi out there so teachers can stream to those learning at home. All great. But then he had to talk about the discussions they've had with the police chief about where the tents will be "strategically placed" and it really hit me hard. Because of our decades of failed leadership on guns, we have to think about an active shooter while my kids are getting their 1/2 hour fresh air because they're otherwise confined to one room all day because of a failed pandemic response. What a garbage country we are.
                  I've thought several times about the next school shooting once schools open back up.

So your district is going back in person? We're starting online and I have no idea when we'll go back in person. I'm not at all comfortable with the idea of going back, honestly. Things in this country are too bad. Schools need to stay closed for now.

That's what's intriguing. We just don't know anything about the mystery woman who wrote to him, nor the content of the letters, nor whether Dad wrote back to her. Romantic relationship? Something more? Something much less? No one knows.Sadly, no. I wasn't even aware of their existence until many years after Dad passed.
                  How did you learn about the letters if nobody had them? Did somebody just tell you? That's a cool story.
                  "Our work continues, the fight goes on, and the big dreams never die." -- Elizabeth Warren

Comment

Dad was the youngest of 5 with 4 older sisters. They had 1 bathroom. I can't imagine.
                    I grew up in a family that size with on bathroom. It really wasn't a big deal. It wasn't unusual at all. I think I only had one friend that I can remember with more than one bathroom. :shrug:

Comment

Originally posted by ajra21 View Post
                      Sounds good.

A couple of my schools in the UK had outdoor classrooms. Each year, I’d get my kids used to learning out there is any weather. I would love my district to get large tenses for outdoor learning.

Our district announced their plans last week. It was better than I expected.
                      it is better than some but you'll (and I'll) still be exposed to 25 or so kids and their families every week. Scary AF. I vote 100% remote for a few more months...at least.
                      “Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude.”

Comment

Originally posted by jlw1980 View Post
                        I've thought several times about the next school shooting once schools open back up.

So your district is going back in person? We're starting online and I have no idea when we'll go back in person. I'm not at all comfortable with the idea of going back, honestly. Things in this country are too bad. Schools need to stay closed for now.

How did you learn about the letters if nobody had them? Did somebody just tell you? That's a cool story.
                        School started this week. We are 100% distance, per state mandate. Staff have to show up, but no kids allowed. It’s been a week of stressed out teachers, staff, parents, and kids. We seem to be figuring it out as we go along, since the plans, and the tules and laws, keep changing. It’s going to be a long, strange year.

Comment

Originally posted by Texsahara View Post
                          I grew up in a family that size with on bathroom. It really wasn't a big deal. It wasn't unusual at all. I think I only had one friend that I can remember with more than one bathroom. :shrug:
                          I was one of four kids (plus both parents) but we always had an uncle and sometimes a cousin living with us in a small house with just one bathroom. It was hell. I have no idea how it wasn't a big deal to you.
                          "Our work continues, the fight goes on, and the big dreams never die." -- Elizabeth Warren

Comment

I grew up with six siblings in apartments, then a house, with only one bathroom. I never lived in a house with two bathrooms until I moved into my current home four years ago. Of course, I live here by myself.

Comment

Originally posted by jlw1980 View Post

Our governor has said we can have "stable groups" of less than 30 so my district is opening elementary schools and keeping the classes to under 20 (somehow) plus the teacher and aide(s). The co-curricular teachers will either come by and stay at a distance, or do remote lessons. They'll eat in the classroom.

Middle and high-school have too many kids to do that so they're on a hybrid schedule. 1/2 the kids in the building every day alternating. I know the middle school will be like elementary where the kids stay put and the teachers rotate. No idea how they're doing high school.

Comment

Those of you with kids, how are schools planning to address Covid19 protocols with children with special needs?
                                Stay "We" my friends

Comment

Working...
                                X