Covid-19

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RhodyYanksFan View Post
    Well, yeah. Itís probably 125,000 Democrats.
    Russian warship, go **** yourself

Comment

Re: Covid-19

Originally posted by JL25and3 View Post
      Well, yeah. Itís probably 125,000 Democrats.
      The most hard-hitting line from last night's DNC was the lady whose father died of Covid who said her dad's only pre-existing condition was trusting Donald Trump

Comment

The most hard-hitting line from last night's DNC was the lady whose father died of Covid who said her dad's only pre-existing condition was trusting Donald Trump
        Yeah that one was good.

I thought that nasty women from Michigan was pretty good too.
        Baseball is life;
        the rest is just details.

Comment

Originally posted by Yankee Tripper View Post
          Yeah that one was good.

I thought that nasty women from Michigan was pretty good too.
          Haven't watched hers yet.

Comment

He has to say that. Admitting failure isn't an option for these asses.
            "Our work continues, the fight goes on, and the big dreams never die." -- Elizabeth Warren

Comment

Our district will not be going back in September. We'll be fully remote for at least a month.
              Bring tea for the Tillerman; Steak for the son; Wine for the woman
              who made the rain come; Seagulls sing your hearts away;
              'Cause while the sinners sin, the children play ...

Comment

Originally posted by ajra21 View Post
                Our district will not be going back in September. We'll be fully remote for at least a month.
                Good.

We are in our third week of work, and the first week where teachers can work from home. Most have elected to stay on campus. I am making my home office my main work area, but I have had to drive onto different campuses every day so far. Weíre all exhausted already, and itís only week three. I think this whole thing may finally be getting to me, mentally. Itís going to be a long year.

Comment

Remote is going OK for us. This is the second week. Our district uses a good platform and the kids have live sessions with their teachers at set times each day. The lessons are well organized and thought out. There have been hiccups -- ex: some slide shows were too small and impossible to read -- but they've been great about answering emails from lots of bewildered parents in a pretty timely fashion. I still wish my kids could go to school, and they really want to go to school, but our wonderful teachers are doing their best under the circumstances.
                  "Our work continues, the fight goes on, and the big dreams never die." -- Elizabeth Warren

Comment

Originally posted by Casey at the Bat View Post
                    Good.

We are in our third week of work, and the first week where teachers can work from home. Most have elected to stay on campus. I am making my home office my main work area, but I have had to drive onto different campuses every day so far. We’re all exhausted already, and it’s only week three. I think this whole thing may finally be getting to me, mentally. It’s going to be a long year.
                    it really is going to be a long school year. This calendar year has already been a nightmare. This whole thing is miserable, in addition to the horrific loss of life.

Comment

Originally posted by Casey at the Bat View Post
                      Good.

We are in our third week of work, and the first week where teachers can work from home. Most have elected to stay on campus. I am making my home office my main work area, but I have had to drive onto different campuses every day so far. Weíre all exhausted already, and itís only week three. I think this whole thing may finally be getting to me, mentally. Itís going to be a long year.
                      Originally posted by jlw1980 View Post
                      Remote is going OK for us. This is the second week. Our district uses a good platform and the kids have live sessions with their teachers at set times each day. The lessons are well organized and thought out. There have been hiccups -- ex: some slide shows were too small and impossible to read -- but they've been great about answering emails from lots of bewildered parents in a pretty timely fashion. I still wish my kids could go to school, and they really want to go to school, but our wonderful teachers are doing their best under the circumstances.
                      Not knowing the kids is going very hard. Iím moving grades as well so thereís all the logistics with that too. There are going to be a lot of problems. We donít have Google Class (we have MS Teams which isnít anywhere near good enough). I could go on but youíre right, itís going to be exhausting. Iíve never been this unmotivated to start a year of teaching. Now, Iíll get over that quickly but if Iím feeling this way, I can only imagine how the kids feel.

The previous plan was a three cohort hybrid model. 1/3 on Mondays, 1/3 on Wednesdays and 1/3 on Fridays, with Tuesdays & Thursday being fully remote so the schools can be fully cleaned.

But there are just too many obstacles and logistical problems but most importantly, WE HAVE NOT BEATEN THE DUCKING VIRUS!

Iím continually stunned at how few people grasp this!
                      Bring tea for the Tillerman; Steak for the son; Wine for the woman
                      who made the rain come; Seagulls sing your hearts away;
                      'Cause while the sinners sin, the children play ...

Comment

I feel especially bad for the teachers. Not only are they being asked to do SO much more by the state, the parents, and the individual districts, but there is still so many people talking and protesting, saying that teachers are just trying to get paid for staying home and doing nothing. Teachers were heroes for the month of March, when kids first started staying home due to COVID. Now, they are back to being the villains that the GOP paints them out to be. Sucks.

Not knowing the kids is going very hard. Iím moving grades as well so thereís all the logistics with that too. There are going to be a lot of problems. We donít have Google Class (we have MS Teams which isnít anywhere near good enough). I could go on but youíre right, itís going to be exhausting. Iíve never been this unmotivated to start a year of teaching. Now, Iíll get over that quickly but if Iím feeling this way, I can only imagine how the kids feel.

The previous plan was a three cohort hybrid model. 1/3 on Mondays, 1/3 on Wednesdays and 1/3 on Fridays, with Tuesdays & Thursday being fully remote so the schools can be fully cleaned.

But there are just too many obstacles and logistical problems but most importantly, WE HAVE NOT BEATEN THE DUCKING VIRUS!

Iím continually stunned at how few people grasp this!

Comment

My very bright 4th grader, who normally gets almost perfect grades, did poorly on a couple of online assignments yesterday. I gently asked him if he was having trouble concentrating, and if I could help in any way. He sadly told me, "I hate online school. I just want to go to normal school." I could hear the sadness in his voice and see it on his face. My little one has also sadly told me that she just wants to go to school.

My heart hurts. I cried after he said that because I hate this for my kids. For all kids. I hate that I can't fix it for them.

Comment

Originally posted by jlw1980 View Post
                            My heart hurts. I cried after he said that because I hate this for my kids. For all kids. I hate that I can't fix it for them.
                            And this is the dilemma.

Keeping kids home, even with remote learning options, is hurting our children. I think that's undeniable. It's particularly damaging for kids who thrive to learn while they're in school.

But, sending them to school, and expecting our schools to be able to enforce Covid-19 protocols, simply isn't feasible. You can't put 6' spacing into a classroom that was previously overcrowded (and that's most of them). You can't expect a 7-year old to properly wear mask all day. A lot of businesses can make adjustments or reduce on-site patronage. That doesn't work for our schools.

My kids are in their 30s. Neither has been a public school student for a long time. I have no grandchildren, so there's no next generation of Maynerds who are affected by this. And it STILL pains me that there's no workable solution to this, when 'this' is adversely affecting an entire generation.

"But what people tend to forget...is that being a Yankee is as much about character as it is about performance; as much about who you are as what you do."
                            - President Barack Obama

Comment

Tell me about it, I field the calls from both the parents AND teachers. There really are no great answers right now. We're having to settle for "best we can" for now, which is incredibly frustrating for everyone involved. There is not a lot of guidance at the top right now (meaning state, not feds), and whatever guidance does come down seems to change as soon as we can implement it. And none, not one, seem to be the great solutions that we are looking for. Feels more like bandaids for someone who fell headfirst into a giant field of cactus.

Originally posted by Maynerd View Post
                              And this is the dilemma.

Keeping kids home, even with remote learning options, is hurting our children. I think that's undeniable. It's particularly damaging for kids who thrive to learn while they're in school.

But, sending them to school, and expecting our schools to be able to enforce Covid-19 protocols, simply isn't feasible. You can't put 6' spacing into a classroom that was previously overcrowded (and that's most of them). You can't expect a 7-year old to properly wear mask all day. A lot of businesses can make adjustments or reduce on-site patronage. That doesn't work for our schools.

My kids are in their 30s. Neither has been a public school student for a long time. I have no grandchildren, so there's no next generation of Maynerds who are affected by this. And it STILL pains me that there's no workable solution to this, when 'this' is adversely affecting an entire generation.

Comment

Originally posted by Maynerd View Post
                                And this is the dilemma.

This is where common sense says hurt their development, or rather, pause it a year for the greater good of society.

Personally, I know a couple people who were held back a year who now hold advanced degrees.
                                ďNobody teaches life anything.Ē - Gabriel GarcŪa MŠrquez

Comment

Working...
                                X