Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Covid-19

Originally posted by ojo View Post
    This is where common sense says hurt their development, or rather, pause it a year for the greater good of society.

Personally, I know a couple people who were held back a year who now hold advanced degrees.
    Dangit, why did you have to say that to Maynerd!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Casey at the Bat View Post
      Dangit, why did you have to say that to Maynerd!!!
      It's OK. I've long since given up on trying to convince anyone that perhaps there are criteria for entering 4th grade other than being 9 years old.

"But what people tend to forget...is that being a Yankee is as much about character as it is about performance; as much about who you are as what you do."
      - President Barack Obama

Comment

Originally posted by Maynerd View Post
        It's OK. I've long since given up on trying to convince anyone that perhaps there are criteria for entering 4th grade other than being 9 years old.
        LOL. I’m just giving you the business, Maynerd. We’ve debated this enough for two lifetimes.

Comment

Originally posted by Casey at the Bat View Post
          I feel especially bad for the teachers. Not only are they being asked to do SO much more by the state, the parents, and the individual districts, but there is still so many people talking and protesting, saying that teachers are just trying to get paid for staying home and doing nothing. Teachers were heroes for the month of March, when kids first started staying home due to COVID. Now, they are back to being the villains that the GOP paints them out to be. Sucks.
          There is an online petition (by parents) for teachers in our district to get their pay cut for working at home.
          Bring tea for the Tillerman; Steak for the son; Wine for the woman
          who made the rain come; Seagulls sing your hearts away;
          'Cause while the sinners sin, the children play ...

Comment

Originally posted by jlw1980 View Post
            My very bright 4th grader, who normally gets almost perfect grades, did poorly on a couple of online assignments yesterday. I gently asked him if he was having trouble concentrating, and if I could help in any way. He sadly told me, "I hate online school. I just want to go to normal school." I could hear the sadness in his voice and see it on his face. My little one has also sadly told me that she just wants to go to school.

My heart hurts. I cried after he said that because I hate this for my kids. For all kids. I hate that I can't fix it for them.
            As an educator, I'm telling you this: **** tests and assessments.

I give more in a week in the US to my class than I would in a year back in the UK.

The key to education is not getting kids to pass tests. It's getting them to love and enjoy learning something so they take pride in understanding it.

Comment

Originally posted by ajra21 View Post
              There is an online petition (by parents) for teachers in our district to get their pay cut for working at home.
              I'm sure every parent who signed that and is working from home has also volunteered for their own pay to be cut.

Smdh.
              Stay "We" my friends

Comment

Originally posted by Tyler Durden View Post
                I'm sure every parent who signed that and is working from home has also volunteered for their own pay to be cut.

Smdh.
                Indeed. The problem is, when your salary is paid by taxes, everyone thinks they know how to do your job. Throw in that most people have been in a school so naturally, that makes them an expert.

Nothing will come of it, of course. It doesn't have many signatures.

Some have said we're being lazy. Some have said we're fearmongering because COVID-19 isn't real!! Some have said we're putting our health over their child's learning.

I could go on.

It is important, to note many have supported the decision to go fully remotely.

Comment

Indeed. The problem is, when your salary is paid by taxes, everyone thinks they know how to do your job. Throw in that most people have been in a school so naturally, that makes them an expert.

Nothing will come of it, of course. It doesn't have many signatures.

Some have said we're being lazy. Some have said we're fearmongering because COVID-19 isn't real!! Some have said we're putting our health over their child's learning.

I could go on.

It is important, to note many have supported the decision to go fully remotely.
                  I mean, in the grand scheme of things, a child's education means nothing in the face of a pandemic.
                  “Nobody teaches life anything.” - Gabriel García Márquez

Comment

Originally posted by ojo View Post
                    I mean, in the grand scheme of things, a child's education means nothing in the face of a pandemic.
                    Well, we're putting everyone's health first.

I wish I could meet my new students, face to face to get to know them. The kids I'll be teaching were in a different part of the school last year, on a different schedule with different recess and lunchtimes. I know one kid by face & name because I just taught her older sister.

Comment

Well, we're putting everyone's health first.

I wish I could meet my new students, face to face to get to know them. The kids I'll be teaching were in a different part of the school last year, on a different schedule with different recess and lunchtimes. I know one kid by face & name because I just taught her older sister.
                      Seems to me a field trip could perhaps be coordinated where you can do a meet and greet. A nature walk or something like that?
                      “Nobody teaches life anything.” - Gabriel García Márquez

Comment

The key to education is not getting kids to pass tests. It's getting them to love and enjoy learning something so they take pride in understanding it.
                        Strongly agree.

How do we know we've achieved that, though? More importantly, what do we do when we have NOT achieved that? Isn't it reasonable to have some sort of metric to determine the community, or the school, or the teacher, who is being successful?

I'm not opposed to testing to determine whether or not the kids are, in fact, learning something. But in my community, the scope and quantity of the tests are way overboard, which leads to unnecessary stress for both the students and teachers. I think we need to do the testing, to get some measurable results, but on a far lesser scale. At the elementary school level, reading comprehension and simple math skills are the building blocks. Test those, and success in science and history and such will correlate.

I fondly remember more than a handful of accomplished, professional teachers...the ones who helped instill a love of reading, who challenged me academically, who made learning exciting. No test can measure what this type of teacher achieves. But I also remember some lackluster teachers...the ones who just went through the motions, who failed to inspire. I think testing might identify such underachievers. Within reasonable limits.

"But what people tend to forget...is that being a Yankee is as much about character as it is about performance; as much about who you are as what you do."
                        - President Barack Obama

Comment

Strongly agree.

How do we know we've achieved that, though? More importantly, what do we do when we have NOT achieved that? Isn't it reasonable to have some sort of metric to determine the community, or the school, or the teacher, who is being successful?

I'm not opposed to testing to determine whether or not the kids are, in fact, learning something. But in my community, the scope and quantity of the tests are way overboard, which leads to unnecessary stress for both the students and teachers. I think we need to do the testing, to get some measurable results, but on a far lesser scale. At the elementary school level, reading comprehension and simple math skills are the building blocks. Test those, and success in science and history and such will correlate.

I fondly remember more than a handful of accomplished, professional teachers...the ones who helped instill a love of reading, who challenged me academically, who made learning exciting. No test can measure what this type of teacher achieves. But I also remember some lackluster teachers...the ones who just went through the motions, who failed to inspire. I think testing might identify such underachievers. Within reasonable limits.
                          I take it as a given that few teachers are gifted and inspirational. Weeding the others out doesn’t mean you’ll just be left with the inspirational ones.
                          Russian warship, go **** yourself

Comment

Originally posted by JL25and3 View Post
                            I take it as a given that few teachers are gifted and inspirational. Weeding the others out doesn’t mean you’ll just be left with the inspirational ones.
                            Crazy idea here - maybe if we treated them better and paid them more we could attract more of the gifted and inspirational.

Comment

Originally posted by JL25and3 View Post
                              I don't know. I think I had more gifted teachers than I did lackluster ones. Seems the same for my kids. There are a lot of outstanding teachers out there. They care, they inspire, they challenge.

We're off the track just a bit, as this is the Covid thread. Let me return to the rails somewhat by saying that the challenges teachers face in a shift to on-line learning are extraordinary. In my profession, I can pretty easily work from home. The meetings I attend have shifted from conference rooms to Microsoft Teams, whether I'm at my desk or at home. Such a shift isn't so easy in education. We're not simply providing video of a classroom lecture. That's maybe 2% of what a teacher does. They need to see the students...interact with the students...to determine if learning is happening. And in a Covid environment, none of that can happen.

And, to even suggest that teacher pay should be cut if they're not physically in a classroom is nonsensical. Their job got significantly harder, not easier.

- President Barack Obama

Comment

I don't know. I think I had more gifted teachers than I did lackluster ones. Seems the same for my kids. There are a lot of outstanding teachers out there. They care, they inspire, they challenge.

We're off the track just a bit, as this is the Covid thread. Let me return to the rails somewhat by saying that the challenges teachers face in a shift to on-line learning are extraordinary. In my profession, I can pretty easily work from home. The meetings I attend have shifted from conference rooms to Microsoft Teams, whether I'm at my desk or at home. Such a shift isn't so easy in education. We're not simply providing video of a classroom lecture. That's maybe 2% of what a teacher does. They need to see the students...interact with the students...to determine if learning is happening. And in a Covid environment, none of that can happen.

And, to even suggest that teacher pay should be cut if they're not physically in a classroom is nonsensical. Their job got significantly harder, not easier.
                                A teacher also needs to be able to build personal connections with kids. That can mean walking around the room while they’re working and saying a few words quietly to certain kids, or praising the kid in back who’s not Tracy Flick, or talking with a kid after class. Remote leaning works against any of that.
                                Russian warship, go **** yourself

Comment

Working...
                                X