Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Covid-19

Originally posted by Maynerd View Post
    No, I hold both parties accountable for the massive train wreck and criminal waste of money that is our federal government.

The Republicans haven't lived up to those responsibilities. I agree. Do you think the Democrats have?

The Republicans have done little do nothing to improve effectiveness and efficiency within the federal government. I agree. Do you think the Democrats have? Didn't Al Gore re-invent the government? Didn't work.

Don't blame the political party that you don't like for the mess that we call a government. Blame the GOVERNMENT. All of them.
    Both parties are not equal when it comes to blame on how our federal government should be working. You know that as well as I do.
    NYYFANS: See you on the other side!

Comment

That's consistent with my position that 95% of cops want to do nothing more than protect and serve their communities, but the overall law enforcement system has problems with racial equality.

That's the problem. WHO provides oversight? WHO shines lights on the problems? What's that, Maynerd? You say the government is wasteful? Let's have MORE government to get them to fix it! That'll work!The problem is NOT with the Republicans. The problem is with the bloated, inefficient, self-serving bureaucracy.

We pay $440,000 a year to have attendants push buttons in the fully-automated elevators in the Capitol complex, so Congressmen and Senators don't have to do it by themselves. THESE are the people you want providing oversight? Government auditors spent five years examining all federal programs and found that 22 percent of them -- costing taxpayers a total of $123 billion annually -- fail to show any positive impact on the populations they serve. But, as long as they spend their budget this year, they'll get at least that much money next year.....to continue to have no impact on the mission they're supposed to be achieving.
      Now that's unfair. Their real function is to keep anyone who is not a Senator or Rep off the reserved elevators. The non-reserved cabs don't have operators...at least they didn't in 1976.
      "Deep to left! Yastrzemski will not get it! It's a home run! A three-run homer by Bucky Dent! And the Yankees now lead by a score of 3-2!" - New York Yankees announcer Bill White (October 2, 1978)

Comment

Originally posted by YankeePride1967 View Post
        Why would you trust any institution where the goal is profit?
        "Our work continues, the fight goes on, and the big dreams never die." -- Elizabeth Warren

Comment

Originally posted by theDurk View Post
          Now that's unfair. Their real function is to keep anyone who is not a Senator or Rep off the reserved elevators. The non-reserved cabs don't have operators...at least they didn't in 1976.
          Why should they get their own elevators? That's BS.

And things might've changed in 44 years.
          "Our work continues, the fight goes on, and the big dreams never die." -- Elizabeth Warren

Comment

Originally posted by jlw1980 View Post

I can understand law makers having separate elevators, there are some crazy folks out there. And seems like elevator dude is probably a good paying union job.
            Baseball is life;
            the rest is just details.

Comment

Why would you ever trust an institution that's a part of the federal government?
              I used to. Many of them. Quite regularly.
              Russian warship, go **** yourself

Comment

Whataboutism, for the win!

Sure, I trust the American soldier, sailor, airman, and marine. They're dedicated, motivated, well-trained, and well-equipped. I do NOT trust the entire Department of Defense. The Pentagon is inefficient and bloated. The acquisition process is a shambles.

Sure, I trust our National Park Rangers to do their jobs, and do them well. But I do NOT trust NPS with properly identifying infrastructural improvements and I do NOT trust them with their staffing model. Why would a veteran's preference outweigh a degree in Recreation Management to become a Park Ranger? Because metrics are more important than hiring the right people.

Just as so many of you decry Law Enforcement based on the abhorrent acts of a few, I distrust the federal bureaucracy, despite success stories of the few. I have worked in or for the federal government for most of my adult life. They are necessary for certain things that only the central government can do. But, systemically, they are NEVER efficient, frequently ineffective, and consistently unworthy of our trust.
                I do not decry Law Enforcement based on the abhorrent acts of a few. I decry Law Enforcement because of what Law Enforcement is and does.

I agree that the government is usually inefficient. However, it can be extremely effective. I donít see any reason it canít be trustworthy in many, many areas - until recently.
                Russian warship, go **** yourself

Comment

https://twitter.com/ddale8/status/1298729127072194562

Totally normal
                  Originally posted by DEADSOX
                  We won, stop bitching. Bitches.
                  **This Space For Rent**

Comment

Originally posted by DrNick View Post
                    That whole story is crazy. Obviously I'm being a bit hyperbolic, but at what point is someone in the administration charged with negligent homicide?
                    -Kevin

"My point is you can't compare things with statistics." Joe Morgan

"I'd have won that trial. I've often said that." Stephen A. Smith on the OJ Simpson trial

RIP, Pete.

Comment

Originally posted by DrNick View Post
                      Jesus.

Comment

Originally posted by Soriambi View Post
                        That whole story is crazy. Obviously I'm being a bit hyperbolic, but at what point is someone in the administration charged with negligent homicide?
                        Hopefully on 1/21/21.

Comment

Originally posted by jlw1980 View Post

Well, they routinely are moving full speed to move from committee or other work to the floor for roll call votes and those reserved cars help. They get their own cars on the Capitol subway system, too.

And, no, that hasn't changed (recent pic):

Attached Files
                          "Deep to left! Yastrzemski will not get it! It's a home run! A three-run homer by Bucky Dent! And the Yankees now lead by a score of 3-2!" - New York Yankees announcer Bill White (October 2, 1978)

Comment

The Sturgis Motorcycle Rally, that locals voted 60% to cancel, and the state where Kristin Noem is Governor, has predictably become a super spreader event of massive proportions infecting at least 8 other states so far.

This is why we need a National policy to combat the virus.
                            Baseball is life;

Comment

Originally posted by Yankee Tripper View Post
                              This is why we need a National policy to combat the virus.
                              I agree, however I don't think it's as simple as "we need a national policy." What would that policy look like? What Constitutional power would allow anyone to institute such a policy? How would it be enforced?

Who gets to make the decisions.....if teachers going to a school are an unacceptable risk, how do we justify telling a grocery store clerk that he needs to go to work? If Sturgis was unacceptable, should multiple funeral ceremonies for John Lewis have been allowed?

If Americans aren't willing to do what makes sense because they read a conspiracy theory on Facebook, what teeth would a national policy have?

Again, I fully agree that the lack of any sort of cogent national guidance has been a horror show. I'm just not convinced that a cogent policy would be enforceable, or that it wouldn't exceed the average American's attention span.

"But what people tend to forget...is that being a Yankee is as much about character as it is about performance; as much about who you are as what you do."
                              - President Barack Obama

Comment

I agree, however I don't think it's as simple as "we need a national policy." What would that policy look like? What Constitutional power would allow anyone to institute such a policy? How would it be enforced?

Who gets to make the decisions.....if teachers going to a school are an unacceptable risk, how do we justify telling a grocery store clerk that he needs to go to work? If Sturgis was unacceptable, should multiple funeral ceremonies for John Lewis have been allowed?

If Americans aren't willing to do what makes sense because they read a conspiracy theory on Facebook, what teeth would a national policy have?

Again, I fully agree that the lack of any sort of cogent national guidance has been a horror show. I'm just not convinced that a cogent policy would be enforceable, or that it wouldn't exceed the average American's attention span.

Well a start would be a National Mandatory Public Mask Policy. Yes I know it's dubios from constitutional grounds. So you know what you do? You pass a bill that provides COVID-19 relief funding and condition the ability of states to receive such funds on passage of a Statewide Mask Mandate. And before you cry foul, it's been done before with Federal Highway Funds being conditioned on raising the State legal drinking age to 21.

Second you have the CDC publish guidelines for size of gatherings allowed and metrics required for reopening various types of business or institutions for in person meetings and actually follow it.

I don't know John Lewis, he was very nasty to me. Didn't vote for me or come to my ignaguration.
                                Baseball is life;

Comment

Working...
                                X