Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Covid-19

Originally posted by Casey at the Bat View Post
    I prefer that we close BEFORE we get to that point.
    Then, how do we justify ANY restaurants, bars, hotels, gyms, airports being open?

A full-up quarantine will be painful, but would almost certainly be more effective than our current, piecemeal, approach. Schools seem to be the least of our problems, but it's so much easier for local governments to lock that door than others.

"But what people tend to forget...is that being a Yankee is as much about character as it is about performance; as much about who you are as what you do."
    - President Barack Obama

Comment

Originally posted by RhodyYanksFan View Post
      Public health experts are screaming to close gyms/bars/restaurants, not schools.
      You are definitely correct. Are bars/indoor dining open still in ny? Gyms with density limits may be ok-not sure how well gyms actually enforce these limits though.

Comment

Originally posted by billyhoyle View Post
        You are definitely correct. Are bars/indoor dining open still in ny? Gyms with density limits may be ok-not sure how well gyms actually enforce these limits though.
        From the NYTimes article about closing schools today:
        Still, as the city chose to end in-person learning, indoor dining and gyms will remain open at a reduced capacity. Nonessential workers can continue to use public transportation to commute to offices.
        We all know there's a simple path to getting this all under control.

Close everything and pay people to stay home for 3 weeks. Then pay to keep restaurants/bars/gyms/retail closed for the rest of the year. Pay the employees 80% of their salary. Give rent assistance to the small businesses that will be closed so their landlords don't get foreclosed on. It'll be expensive but a much better use of funds than what the PPP ended up doing. This piecemeal nonsense is just putting sandbags down after the river has jumped the levee.

Comment

Originally posted by Maynerd View Post
          Then, how do we justify ANY restaurants, bars, hotels, gyms, airports being open?

A full-up quarantine will be painful, but would almost certainly be more effective than our current, piecemeal, approach. Schools seem to be the least of our problems, but it's so much easier for local governments to lock that door than others.
          I'm not justifying ANY restaurants, bars, hotels, gyms, airports being open.

Schools are likely the least of our problems right now because so many of them are still closed, and those that are open (like us) have very small groups of students actually attending.

Comment

Close everything and pay people to stay home for 3 weeks. Then pay to keep restaurants/bars/gyms/retail closed for the rest of the year. Pay the employees 80% of their salary. Give rent assistance to the small businesses that will be closed so their landlords don't get foreclosed on. It'll be expensive but a much better use of funds than what the PPP ended up doing. This piecemeal nonsense is just putting sandbags down after the river has jumped the levee.
            Closing everything isn’t necessary. Any business where mask wearing is feasible and density is controlled should be able to stay open. The problem with closing gyms is there are negative health implications from lack of exercise-I think they can remain open if people in them are wearing masks and there is proper density control. The problem with schools is that they inherently are going to be more dense than businesses and having kids comply with the mask mandate is challenging.

Indoor dining and bars though shouldn’t be open if the city is at the point where schools need to close-I agree there.

Comment

And if you did that, my daily commute would get so much easier again.
              Russian warship, go **** yourself

Comment

Nicholas Kristof in the Times today:

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/11/18/o...-closures.html

Some things are true even though President Trump says them.

Trump has been demanding for months that schools reopen, and on that he seems to have been largely right. Schools, especially elementary schools, do not appear to have been major sources of coronavirus transmission, and remote learning is proving to be a catastrophe for many low-income children.

Yet America is shutting schools — New York City announced Wednesday that it was closing schools in the nation’s largest school district — even as it allows businesses like restaurants and bars to operate. What are our priorities?

“I have taught at the same low-income school for the last 25 years, and, truly, I can attest that remote schooling is failing our children,” said LaShondra Taylor, an English teacher in Broward County, Fla.

Some students don’t have a computer or don’t have Wi-Fi, Taylor said. Kids regularly miss classes because they have to babysit, or run errands, or earn money for their struggling families.

“The amount of absences is mind-blowing,” she said.

Comment

We’re burying one of our golf buddies today .......died of COVID at the age of 72 last Friday......been lucky thus far......only lost 4 friends since this ................ show started......

"Happy Wife.........Happy Life" - unknown

Comment

The US passed 250k deaths yesterday.

Devastating. And so many could've been prevented. It's just a matter of time until we each lose a loved one.
                    "Our work continues, the fight goes on, and the big dreams never die." -- Elizabeth Warren

Comment

Originally posted by jlw1980 View Post
                      The US passed 250k deaths yesterday.

Devastating. And so many could've been prevented. It's just a matter of time until we each lose a loved one.
                      Meanwhile...
                      https://twitter.com/ChrisMurphyCT/st...54313895321604
                      Just off a conference call with Trump Administration vaccine distribution team. They confirmed that they have not briefed anyone on President-elect Biden's team and have no plans to do so

Comment

We made the decision to not have Thanksgiving this year. Mostly because no one (and I mean no one) was interested in doing it this year. I guess we'll have a frozen pizza or something instead. Stay healthy everyone.
                        You wanna know what? You gotta problem with Luis Cessa, you gotta problem with me. And I suggest you let that one marinate

Comment

We are getting fancy takeout from a local fancy restaurant. I'm actually looking forward to it. There's just three of us but I ordered four dinners so we'll have some leftovers.

Comment

Originally posted by Texsahara View Post
                            We are getting fancy takeout from a local fancy restaurant. I'm actually looking forward to it. There's just three of us but I ordered four dinners so we'll have some leftovers.
                            I always feel like its weird to make people work on Thanksgiving so I always avoid those kind of things.

(I know, that helps them make money. But still it nags at me)
                            You wanna know what? You gotta problem with Luis Cessa, you gotta problem with me. And I suggest you let that one marinate

Comment

Trump Jr. has it.

Once he gets world class treatment and beats it it will leading to more squawking that it is not that bad.
                              Originally posted by 4bronxbombers
                              Well....I am a total bacon whore...
                              <--- The Ryan emoticon.

Comment

https://www.thedailybeast.com/parent...dance?ref=home

Mom Who Says Masks Are Child Abuse Throws Her Kid a 250-Person Homecoming Party
                                When asked on Monday if she feared that her own event could turn into a “superspreader,” creating a pre-Thanksgiving surge of cases in McDonough, Knight seemed to take issue with the question.

“It seems the liberals and the Democrats want to keep the virus agenda front and center,” she told The Daily Beast. “The conservatives, on the other hand, are ready to embrace freedom again. This whole virus plandemic scamdemic has totally ruined 2020. The media [is] paralyzing people with fear so they will do mail-in ballots to rig an election. They succeeded in election fraud. The election is over. People need to stop bowing down to the virus. Forcing people to wear masks is a crime.”
                                This woman should be arrested and made to reimburse the area hospital for any costs associated with this ridiculous event.

Comment

Working...
                                X