Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Covid-19

Originally posted by Texsahara View Post
    All of those people aren't dumb though. Yes, some are ignorant or uneducated or naive or sheltered and some are just haters. And all of them go on social media and share their thoughts and memes where they are picked up by others with the same deficits and their numbers grow. But you're right. Not calling it Wuhan is not going to stop xenophobia but calling it that can surely make the xenophobia grow. Just like the Muslim hate grew post 9/11.
    And this virus that so many on the right has spent so much energy trying to minimize, has already killed more than died on 9/11

Comment

Originally posted by The_Man_With_No_Plan View Post
      I'm gonna go out on a limb and say they're all dumb.

And I don't know... at least with 9/11 there was a possible reason to change people's minds (all based on emotion and irrational thought, but it was more plausible). With this, I can safely guess that anyone who was xenophobic after this pandemic was likely xenophobic before this pandemic. No matter what it's called.
      I won't argue with you about that point.
      NYYFANS: See you on the other side!

Comment

Originally posted by YankeePride1967 View Post
        And this virus that so many on the right has spent so much energy trying to minimize, has already killed more than died on 9/11
        Okay. :shrug:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bus...-spreads%3famp

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.cnn...ory/index.html

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.the...rticle/607816/

https://www.npr.org/2020/03/02/81136...s-like-a-virus

https://www.google.com/amp/s/time.co...ks/%3famp=true

Comment

I was speaking to the seriousness of the issues. How some reacted to one vs the other. Both have brought needless xenophobic responses

Comment

Originally posted by YankeePride1967 View Post
            I was speaking to the seriousness of the issues. How some reacted to one vs the other. Both have brought needless xenophobic responses
            Oops. Sorry. Meant to quote man with a plan.

Comment

Originally posted by Texsahara View Post
              Oops. Sorry. Meant to quote man with a plan.
              Ah ok. No harm done

Comment

As a Hongkonger (or Chinese) I find it weird and funny for people to debate whether Wuhan pneumonia grows xenophobic. I guess it's cultural difference.

Comment

Even if you take the question of xenophobia out, it is not called the wuhan flu. It isn’t even a flu, the flu is a totally different virus so by calling it that it is factually wrong and misleading. Why not just call it by it’s name? COVID-19 or the Coronavirus. But I think we know the answer to that

Comment

Originally posted by kan_t View Post
                    As a Hongkonger (or Chinese) I find it weird and funny for people to debate whether Wuhan pneumonia grows xenophobic. I guess it's cultural difference.
                    Apparently it's become an issue with the right.

"Focusing on China allows conservatives to sidestep the question of whether the coronavirus poses a serious health risk at all. That question becomes a sideshow to the primary objective of blaming China. Right-wing organs like the Federalist have mounted a campaign to brand the disease the “Wuhan Virus,” scolding anybody who fails to use their lingo as China appeasers. Breitbart’s coverage of Joe Biden’s coronavirus plan zeroes in on its failure to blame Beijing. “Not once in the detailed plan does Biden mention China or Wuhan — the origin city of the coronavirus,” it reports, accurately, “Instead, the Biden plan repeatedly focuses on fighting ‘global’ public health threats and refers to the coronavirus in its technical term of COVID-19.”

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/opini...us/ar-BB119Gbo
                    Let the kids play.

Comment

Originally posted by Bub View Post
                      Apparently it's become an issue with the right.

"Focusing on China allows conservatives to sidestep the question of whether the coronavirus poses a serious health risk at all. That question becomes a sideshow to the primary objective of blaming China. Right-wing organs like the Federalist have mounted a campaign to brand the disease the “Wuhan Virus,” scolding anybody who fails to use their lingo as China appeasers. Breitbart’s coverage of Joe Biden’s coronavirus plan zeroes in on its failure to blame Beijing. “Not once in the detailed plan does Biden mention China or Wuhan — the origin city of the coronavirus,” it reports, accurately, “Instead, the Biden plan repeatedly focuses on fighting ‘global’ public health threats and refers to the coronavirus in its technical term of COVID-19.”

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/opini...us/ar-BB119Gbo
                      Yeah, I don't get why Biden would want to focus on addressing the problem when he can just blame someone else.

Comment

Originally posted by philleotardo View Post
                        I’m a pretty unpopular guy at the moment. The last minute part didn’t help.
                        You still did the right thing.

Oh, round trip fights to Seattle from Phoenix are now $42. I had to check last night out of curiosity. No, I'm not going. But damn.

Originally posted by JDPNYY View Post
                        We can argue all day and all night about this stuff, and we do... but the important thing to get to the root of is the question of whether thrDurk or theBub has the better tap water.

Discuss.
                        I need samples from both to properly assess this matter. I expect them here tomorrow.
                        "Our work continues, the fight goes on, and the big dreams never die." -- Elizabeth Warren

Comment

Originally posted by jlw1980 View Post
                          You still did the right thing.

Oh, round trip fights to Seattle from Phoenix are now $42. I had to check last night out of curiosity. No, I'm not going. But damn.

I need samples from both to properly assess this matter. I expect them here tomorrow.
                          Drinking water from New Jersey is kind of risky, no?
                          You wanna know what? You gotta problem with Luis Cessa, you gotta problem with me. And I suggest you let that one marinate

Comment

Originally posted by fredgmuggs View Post
                            Drinking water from New Jersey is kind of risky, no?
                            That's why I spent over $1000 on extensive tests when I decided to develop most of the property. It turns out my well is better than the local water company on just about everything.I'm on top of the Third Watchung Range, which is kind of a puny mountain as mountains go, but it means all the pollution point sources are downhill from here.

Connecticut (New Haven) water is crap, by the way, or was in the early 70s.
                            "Deep to left! Yastrzemski will not get it! It's a home run! A three-run homer by Bucky Dent! And the Yankees now lead by a score of 3-2!" - New York Yankees announcer Bill White (October 2, 1978)

Comment

Originally posted by theDurk View Post
                              That's why I spent over $1000 on extensive tests when I decided to develop most of the property. It turns out my well is better than the local water company on just about everything.I'm on top of the Third Watchung Range, which is kind of a puny mountain as mountains go, but it means all the pollution point sources are downhill from here.

Connecticut (New Haven) water was crap, by the way.
                              We have well water that tasted great and clean. When I got my transplant we had to do a test and the level of bacteria, while safe for most, was not for me. So we have been on Poland Springs since. There are only five types of spring water allowed. Or city water is also fine (as it has been treated).

Comment

As someone (one of the few on here) who has lived in a foreign culture for more than a few years, I think there should be some understanding of posters from other countries and cultures who may not have internalized the strict parameters of political correctness employed in this country, or specifically on this forum.

There is something bizarre about criticizing someone from Hong Kong for employing the current usage in his or her culture for the sin of being xenophobic. That's called ethnocentrism, and is no more desirable than xenophobia.
                                "Deep to left! Yastrzemski will not get it! It's a home run! A three-run homer by Bucky Dent! And the Yankees now lead by a score of 3-2!" - New York Yankees announcer Bill White (October 2, 1978)

Comment

Working...
                                X