Covid-19

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jlw1980 View Post

How can they say that they want to ensure public safety when they won't do everything possible (mask, vaccine) to reduce spread of a very deadly virus?
    And all police do is interact with people. It is their job. Protecting us from a deadly virus is every bit as much a public safety issue as preventing assault or robbery is

Comment

Originally posted by False1 View Post
      Good and fair question, to which I don't know the answer. One way to account for this would be to a) assume that 100% of deaths in the LEO population were <65 and b) backout 80% of the deaths in the general population.

This would give you 66 deaths per 100k for LEOs, and 39 deaths per 100k for general population <65, or an incremental death rate among LEOs of .027%.

Again, I support the message but would like to see a little more diligence in how it is portrayed.
      Well, your 0.027% incremental death rate is somebody else's 189 dead cops that did not need to die. Talk about messaging.

I also disagree with your point about whether they caught the virus on duty. It just doesn't matter. They are dead either way. The vaccine would prevent that death, either way. The cops have a self interest in protecting themselves whether or not they catch that virus on duty. We are establishing a statistical correlation, not analyzing causality.
      "Deep to left! Yastrzemski will not get it! It's a home run! A three-run homer by Bucky Dent! And the Yankees now lead by a score of 3-2!" - New York Yankees announcer Bill White (October 2, 1978)

Comment

Originally posted by RhodyYanksFan View Post

They don't care. Police unions are run by right wing thugs.
        I know. My question was rhetorical. It just makes me angry.
        "Our work continues, the fight goes on, and the big dreams never die." -- Elizabeth Warren

Comment

I know. My question was rhetorical. It just makes me angry.
          You’re rhetorical.
          Russian warship, go **** yourself

Comment

Originally posted by JL25and3 View Post

You’re rhetorical.
            Probably, but an FDA panel just voted 17-0 to approve a Pfizer EUA for elementary kids. So I'm ok with being rhetorical.
            "Our work continues, the fight goes on, and the big dreams never die." -- Elizabeth Warren

Comment

Originally posted by theDurk View Post

Well, your 0.027% incremental death rate is somebody else's 189 dead cops that did not need to die. Talk about messaging.

I also disagree with your point about whether they caught the virus on duty. It just doesn't matter. They are dead either way. The vaccine would prevent that death, either way. The cops have a self interest in protecting themselves whether or not they catch that virus on duty. We are establishing a statistical correlation, not analyzing causality.
              Trust me, I talk about rates like this all the time in debates. A small incremental rate is of zero comfort if you are one of the family members of these cops. And of course, this is just math compiled by a knucklehead involved in an internal convo rather than by experts (because experts didn't do the work or the media didn't dig it up) so it's hardly definitive. Maybe it's higher, maybe it's lower. Maybe there are higher concentrations of cops in areas where Covid has exploded and less where it hasn't, or vice versa. I don't know.

But a low incremental rate means a lot if the media narrative from that piece is effectively that cops are dropping like flies from Covid. Those 189 deaths matter, but they don't support that POV statistically. Similarly, whether they caught that virus on duty or not is probably not particularly important to the families and communities who lost them. But since the article was actually trying to insinuate causation rather than correlation, it is germane.

I also want to clarify that this is not a defense of those who have not vaccinated. Particularly cops, who by the nature of their roles are not socially distanced. I just think if the author of this article is going to make a point, inspect it carefully and present it factually.

Comment

Just saw the CDC is likely to recommend a second booster or fourth shot of the MRNA covid vaccines for those who are immunosuppressed.

Comment

Originally posted by YankeePride1967 View Post
                  Just saw the CDC is likely to recommend a second booster or fourth shot of the MRNA covid vaccines for those who are immunosuppressed.
                  This really furthers the narrative of the anti-vaxxers. They don't need much, but still.

Comment

This really furthers the narrative of the anti-vaxxers. They don't need much, but still.
                    We’ll because our medicine to protect the organs attacks the antibodies, the shots aren’t as effective, in fact the first two not at all. They found the third one gives many some so the hope is a fourth (six months after shot 3) will offer more

Comment

Who Had Covid-19 Vaccine Breakthrough Cases? https://nyti.ms/3nFvITV

Vaccines save lives. See attached graphic.
                      You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                      This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

Who Had Covid-19 Vaccine Breakthrough Cases? https://nyti.ms/3nFvITV

Vaccines save lives. See attached graphic.
                        I'm glad I was vaccinated even though I had a breakthrough case in August. It just made me really tired for like 10 days.

Comment

Originally posted by RYMASTER or Ryan_Yankees View Post

I'm glad I was vaccinated even though I had a breakthrough case in August. It just made me really tired for like 10 days.
                          Definitely. It likely would've been so much worse, especially considering your medical issues. I'm so glad you were vaccinated and are OK. 💙

I honestly can't believe that I haven't ever had it, at least that I know of, considering that I work in healthcare. Vaccines, frequent use of hand sanitizer, and masks ftw.

Comment

Originally posted by Tyler Durden View Post

The mandate seems pretty straight forward for the regular COVID shot, but I'm not clear on how it works regarding the booster shots.

For example, am I considered "fully vaxxed" if I've had the 2 mRNA shots but not the booster?
                            A question yet to be answered.

Comment

J&J in March.
                              Scheduled a Pfizer booster for this evening. Just canceled due to short staffing at the evil Walgreens.
                              However was able to get another appt for Pfizer at a different evil Walgreens for this evening. Waiting for them to call. Heh.

Got my mom and dad (89 & 90) an appt for moderna booster for Tuesday. Earliest available in the area and that is 30 minutes away.
                              Sometimes I feel like my sell by date expired yesterday.

Comment

FDA approved for ages 5-11! Now the CDC has to give the green light. They could begin vaccinations as early as Wednesday 11/3. 🥰
                                Experts said the shot could bring relief to parents anxious about their children getting sick, though some worry that those most at risk may slip through the cracks.

Comment

Working...
                                X