No announcement yet.

Covid-19

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well despite being extremely safe and limiting outside visits to outdoors and dining out to outside dining I may have had my first close contact Saturday. Aunt dropped some supplies over and she is symptomatic as is her brother who lives with her. Not a long contact but let’s just say next few days will be glad when they are over.

Comment

I've been avoiding writing this post here because, well, I just didn't know how it would be received, but I think it's time, so here it is...

My GF's father came down with COVID on Christmas. He was not vaccinated (but not anti-vax... just had a messy life). He was rushed to the hospital the next day, and was almost immediately put on a ventilator since they had to revive him several times that first day. My unvaccinated GF ended up contracting it from her father. Although she was feeling sick, she was at least able to remain home as she recovered. Her father died last week. This all came down a few weeks after my sister was diagnosed with breast cancer, and then my mother was admitted to ICU with pretty severe kidney failure (mom survived). Because of the illnesses of my own family (and worried that my own mother might die), I let my GF know I would be keeping my distance from her since she was unvaccinated and I didn't want to infect my mother if I had to visit her (I stayed away from mom too). Looking back at everything that has happened to us in the past two months, that decision to stay away probably kept me and my own family from getting sick with COVID, which would have been a death sentence for my mother considering the extremely fragile condition she was in. My GF is finally cleared to go back to work, but now has bereavement time to use as we work to lay her father to rest (dying really is a pain in the ass). Our holiday season really sucked this year, but at least we're almost ready to move on from all of this mess, or at least try to.

Take care of yourselves. Get vaccinated. Wear a mask. I've already buried one father figure in my life due to COVID almost exactly a year ago... and now I get to lay my GF's father to rest also due to COVID. In between these two deaths, we buried my cousin who died of COVID, and my uncle last November (non-COVID). There really is nothing that feels more helpless than having to give a DNR order for your father as you watch him waste away. Both of these deaths could have been prevented, and burying parents gets old fast. So just take care of yourselves, that's all. I'm getting tired of burying my loved ones.

Comment

What an awful year or so, CatB. I'm so sorry.

Comment

Originally posted by Casey at the Bat View Post
          I've been avoiding writing this post here because, well, I just didn't know how it would be received, but I think it's time, so here it is...

My GF's father came down with COVID on Christmas. He was not vaccinated (but not anti-vax... just had a messy life). He was rushed to the hospital the next day, and was almost immediately put on a ventilator since they had to revive him several times that first day. My unvaccinated GF ended up contracting it from her father. Although she was feeling sick, she was at least able to remain home as she recovered. Her father died last week. This all came down a few weeks after my sister was diagnosed with breast cancer, and then my mother was admitted to ICU with pretty severe kidney failure (mom survived). Because of the illnesses of my own family (and worried that my own mother might die), I let my GF know I would be keeping my distance from her since she was unvaccinated and I didn't want to infect my mother if I had to visit her (I stayed away from mom too). Looking back at everything that has happened to us in the past two months, that decision to stay away probably kept me and my own family from getting sick with COVID, which would have been a death sentence for my mother considering the extremely fragile condition she was in. My GF is finally cleared to go back to work, but now has bereavement time to use as we work to lay her father to rest (dying really is a pain in the ass). Our holiday season really sucked this year, but at least we're almost ready to move on from all of this mess, or at least try to.

Take care of yourselves. Get vaccinated. Wear a mask. I've already buried one father figure in my life due to COVID almost exactly a year ago... and now I get to lay my GF's father to rest also due to COVID. In between these two deaths, we buried my cousin who died of COVID, and my uncle last November (non-COVID). There really is nothing that feels more helpless than having to give a DNR order for your father as you watch him waste away. Both of these deaths could have been prevented, and burying parents gets old fast. So just take care of yourselves, that's all. I'm getting tired of burying my loved ones.
          Dude, that is one horrid year. I'm so very, very sorry. I lost three loved ones within 18 months (the last being an uncle this past November), but none from COVID. It's so hard when you know it was likely preventable. My heart hurts for you and your family.

Is your GF unable to be vaccinated?
          Last edited by jlw1980; 01-26-22, 10:36 PM.
          "Our work continues, the fight goes on, and the big dreams never die." -- Elizabeth Warren

Comment

I'm so sorry Casey. Life really sucks sometimes and it is that much worse when you know it didn't have to be that way. (((hugs)))

Comment

Wow Casey, sorry to hear this.

Comment

Originally posted by jlw1980 View Post

Dude, that is one horrid year. I'm so very, very sorry. I lost three loved ones within 18 months (the last being an uncle this past November), but none from COVID. It's so hard when you know it was likely preventable. My heart hurts for you and your family.

Is your GF unable to be vaccinated?
                My GF can be vaccinated, but just wouldn’t, and I tried all my Jedi mind tricks on her, to no avail. When her father got sick, she decided she would get vaccinated, but had to wait a while since she was exposed by him. She ended up getting sick before getting the ok to be vaccinated. She still plans on getting vaccinated as soon as she is able to. No one who was vaccinated at the Christmas gathering got sick, only her and her father, who were both unvaccinated.

Comment

Tragic. I wish I had the words to provide some sort of comfort.

Originally posted by Casey at the Bat
                  Take care of yourselves. Get vaccinated. Wear a mask.
                  Quoted for emphasis.

"But what people tend to forget...is that being a Yankee is as much about character as it is about performance; as much about who you are as what you do."
                  - President Barack Obama

Comment

Casey, I have no words. I hope this year will treat you better. Stay well.
                    Russian warship, go **** yourself

Comment

Laura Ingraham had him on her show and called him a hero in October 2021.
                      You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                      This gallery has 1 photos.
                      "Our work continues, the fight goes on, and the big dreams never die." -- Elizabeth Warren

Comment

Originally posted by jlw1980 View Post
                        Laura Ingraham had him on her show and called him a hero in October 2021.
                        He’s gone from hero to martyr.
                        Baseball is life;
                        the rest is just details.

Comment

Originally posted by Yankee Tripper View Post

He’s gone from hero to martyr.
                          I'm sure he died doing what he loved - being unconscious and struggling to breath with a tube down your throat is the dream for some people.

Comment

Originally posted by Texsahara View Post

I'm sure he died doing what he loved - being unconscious and struggling to breath with a tube down your throat is the dream for some people.
                            Saw this and it sums up a lot of feelings.

FKXvs3qVEAI55x2?format=png&name=small.png

Comment

Quick survey. Has anyone here booked a vacation since March 2020 and then got cold feat and backed out or know someone who has? We booked a trip to Punta Cana with another couple with out families on Black Friday knowing all of the risks. Then Omicron happened. Now with less than 18 days to go the other couple is very nervous and wants to cancel our trip (which is insured). I want to go.

We are all boosted, we all wear masks, we're doing everything they are telling us to do. The airline is requiring a negative PCR test to fly there and fly back. Is it worth the risks?
                              http://vimel.ru/e6748

Comment

Originally posted by Donnybaseball72 View Post
                                Quick survey. Has anyone here booked a vacation since March 2020 and then got cold feat and backed out or know someone who has? We booked a trip to Punta Cana with another couple with out families on Black Friday knowing all of the risks. Then Omicron happened. Now with less than 18 days to go the other couple is very nervous and wants to cancel our trip (which is insured). I want to go.

We are all boosted, we all wear masks, we're doing everything they are telling us to do. The airline is requiring a negative PCR test to fly there and fly back. Is it worth the risks?
                                While I can absolutely appreciate the need to get away, the question you have to ask yourself is what happens if a member of your traveling party comes down with COVID-19 while you're in the Dominican Republic? Considering the fact vaxxed & boosted people can spread this disease to one another means you could do everything within reason to prevent getting it, and still get it, but now you're on the outside looking to get back home. Not sure I would roll those dice.
                                “Nobody teaches life anything.” - Gabriel García Márquez

Comment

Working...
                                X