Covid-19

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Covid-19

CT Governor Ned Lamont said just yesterday alone in CT there were 10,000 new applications made for unemployment. In a typical week there are 5,000 applications.

This is going to be devastating to the economy.
    You wanna know what? You gotta problem with Luis Cessa, you gotta problem with me. And I suggest you let that one marinate

Comment

Originally posted by theDurk View Post
      That doesn't make any sense. We should maintain lockdown etc. only for as long as we have an increasing number of new cases, and maybe a certain distance down the other side of the peak, as long as the health care system is able to adequately care for the volume of cases. That won't take this long, given how virulent this virus is, and that each case resolves itself within a month (cure or die). I don't see that taking longer than mid to late summer.

Then you start throttling back. Allow sit-down restaurants. Allow gyms. See how it goes. Young people with no contact with old farts like me can be allowed to take their chances. The whole idea is to let the virus do its thing in the general population while protecting high-risk targets like me. But you have to let the general population get the dang thing. You can't stop it; they just don't want to say that is what is going to happen. The curve goes down because the virus runs out of targets.

Once it has gone through the resistant population, us old farts will be less at risk to running in to an active vector. By then, we may have effective treatment and a vaccine. That won't take that long.

Sadly, I think pro sports will be one of the last things to get turned on. I don't expect to see mlb this year.
      This is logical and makes me feel slightly hopeful. That Vox article brought panic. Thanks, Tim. How's your family in Brazil?
      "Our work continues, the fight goes on, and the big dreams never die." -- Elizabeth Warren

Comment

Originally posted by theDurk View Post
        That doesn't make any sense. We should maintain lockdown etc. only for as long as we have an increasing number of new cases, and maybe a certain distance down the other side of the peak, as long as the health care system is able to adequately care for the volume of cases. That won't take this long, given how virulent this virus is, and that each case resolves itself within a month (cure or die). I don't see that taking longer than mid to late summer.

Then you start throttling back. Allow sit-down restaurants. Allow gyms. See how it goes. Young people with no contact with old farts like me can be allowed to take their chances. The whole idea is to let the virus do its thing in the general population while protecting high-risk targets like me. But you have to let the general population get the dang thing. You can't stop it; they just don't want to say that is what is going to happen. The curve goes down because the virus runs out of targets.

Once it has gone through the resistant population, us old farts will be less at risk to running in to an active vector. By then, we may have effective treatment and a vaccine. That won't take that long.

Sadly, I think pro sports will be one of the last things to get turned on. I don't expect to see mlb this year.
        I think you’re agreeing with me. My point was that a year plus of shutting down society is both unfeasible and probably unnecessary.

Comment

Originally posted by fredgmuggs View Post
          CT Governor Ned Lamont said just yesterday alone in CT there were 10,000 new applications made for unemployment. In a typical week there are 5,000 applications.

This is going to be devastating to the economy.
          Absolutely.

In Colorado, the Governor yesterday effectively laid off all employees in restaurants, bars, ski areas, movie theaters, gyms. Hospitality and tourism are two of the biggest employers in the State. So, you've not only cut off virtually all revenue to a couple multi-billion dollar industries, but ALSO added the associated work force to the unemployment rolls.

The health aspects of this are frightening. The economic aspects are even worse.

"But what people tend to forget...is that being a Yankee is as much about character as it is about performance; as much about who you are as what you do."
          - President Barack Obama

Comment

Originally posted by Jace View Post
            I think you’re agreeing with me. My point was that a year plus of shutting down society is both unfeasible and probably unnecessary.
            I was. I was disagreeing with those you were disagreeing with.
            "Deep to left! Yastrzemski will not get it! It's a home run! A three-run homer by Bucky Dent! And the Yankees now lead by a score of 3-2!" - New York Yankees announcer Bill White (October 2, 1978)

Comment

Originally posted by jlw1980 View Post
              This is logical and makes me feel slightly hopeful. That Vox article brought panic. Thanks, Tim. How's your family in Brazil?
              My daughter works from home as she is a one person office. She lost her daycare though, which makes things complicated in a very small apartment when she has to talk to government officials (much of her job). Sad part was American canceled her tickets for a trip up she planned for May, but I'm happy she's not coming.

Brazil just had its first death, and 291 confirmed cases. They are doing more testing than we are. They have a strong public health function, and most recently did a good job containing Zika. I'd rather be there.

I guess what I didn't say is I don't think we can flatten the curve enough. We are going to overwhelm the health system. But this leads to a shorter period of rapid transmission. Hold on to your hats for the next few months. This old fart with COPD and A-Fib is a hermit for the forseeable future.
              "Deep to left! Yastrzemski will not get it! It's a home run! A three-run homer by Bucky Dent! And the Yankees now lead by a score of 3-2!" - New York Yankees announcer Bill White (October 2, 1978)

Comment

Originally posted by Maynerd View Post
                Absolutely.

In Colorado, the Governor yesterday effectively laid off all employees in restaurants, bars, ski areas, movie theaters, gyms. Hospitality and tourism are two of the biggest employers in the State. So, you've not only cut off virtually all revenue to a couple multi-billion dollar industries, but ALSO added the associated work force to the unemployment rolls.

The health aspects of this are frightening. The economic aspects are even worse.
                It’s a good thing most folks health insurance is tied to their employer.
                Baseball is life;
                the rest is just details.

Comment

Originally posted by Yankee Tripper View Post
                  It’s a good thing most folks health insurance is tied to their employer.
                  Yes! Such freedom!

Comment

A resident in one of our local mountain communities has been confirmed positive, and she tried to be a responsible member of the community and let the small community know. Good lord, people are just vicious towards her. If I somehow come down with the virus, I’m keeping my mouth shut.

Comment

Originally posted by Casey at the Bat View Post
                      A resident in one of our local mountain communities has been confirmed positive, and she tried to be a responsible member of the community and let the small community know. Good lord, people are just vicious towards her. If I somehow come down with the virus, I’m keeping my mouth shut.
                      You’d think folks would want to know who she came in contact with.
                      Baseball is life;

Comment

Originally posted by fredgmuggs View Post
                        So some things they're doing at the golf club I work for:

Clubhouse, locker room closed

Limit 1 per cart
                        no bunker rakes
                        no water coolers
                        the cup is left high (an inch above the level of green) and it will be an automatic two putt. No one to touch flagstick or touch the cup.
                        Sorry, I've been driving north on 95 all damn day. Traffic was a bear. Now I'm holed up at a Hampton Inn in Fayetteville, NC.

The country club my parents are members haven't made any of those concessions to the game (just got off the phone with my father). One of the issues they face is the PGA National Country Club is also a Resort & Spa. Throw that one as far as you like. He did mention the club restaurant no longer offers a buffet.
                        “Nobody teaches life anything.” - Gabriel García Márquez

Comment

Oh and I boot up my laptop to discover Tom Brady is a Buccaneer?

“Nobody teaches life anything.” - Gabriel García Márquez

Comment

Originally posted by ojo View Post
                            Oh and I boot up my laptop to discover Tom Brady is a Buccaneer?

sometimes life comes at you fast.

Comment

Jeremy C. Young@jeremycyoung

We can now read the Imperial College report on COVID-19 that led to the extreme measures we've seen in the US this week. Read it; it's terrifying. I'll offer a summary in this thread; please correct me if I've gotten it wrong. https://www.imperial.ac.uk/media/imp...16-03-2020.pdf
                              It is suspected that this was the catalyst for Trump finally turning the corner and taking this seriously.

Thread: https://twitter.com/jeremycyoung/sta...75682643357696

Comment

Originally posted by Texsahara View Post
                                It is suspected that this was the catalyst for Trump finally turning the corner and taking this seriously.

Thread: https://twitter.com/jeremycyoung/sta...75682643357696
                                You give him too much credit. The catalyst was the crashing stock market.
                                Baseball is life;

Comment

Working...
                                X