X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Covid-19

https://www.cnn.com/world/live-news/...hnk/index.html

$2T stimulus deal reached
    "Our work continues, the fight goes on, and the big dreams never die." -- Elizabeth Warren

Comment

Shelter in place sounds great but who has three weeks worth of food stocked? It's unrealistic.

Comment

Originally posted by RYMASTER or Ryan_Yankees View Post
        Shelter in place sounds great but who has three weeks worth of food stocked? It's unrealistic.
        Mormons

Comment

One word: Instacart.
          "Deep to left! Yastrzemski will not get it! It's a home run! A three-run homer by Bucky Dent! And the Yankees now lead by a score of 3-2!" - New York Yankees announcer Bill White (October 2, 1978)

Comment

We can easily go a month at a time here without shopping...once you live in remote area for awhile you get used to shopping infrequently. Frozen veggies and canned fruit will get you by in times like this. I haven’t shopped in about 2 weeks and we still have a pantry and freezer that can get us another few weeks if we need to.
            Let the kids play.

Comment

I always have enough dry goods (beans, pasta, rice) and cans to get through 2-3 weeks. Plus whatever is in the chest freezer from Costco. I suspect people that own homes and have families are much more stocked than singles or couples in a city apartment. I remember the days of a refrigerator with beer, pickles, an old bottle of ketchup and take-out leftovers of undetermined age quite well.

Comment

Tom Phillips@tomphillipsin
                As a huge coronavirus crisis looms on Brazil’s horizon Bolsonaro goes on TV to boast of his physical prowess, denounce media “hysteria”, call for schools to be reopened and gratuitously mock the kind & wise Brazilian doctor Drauzio Varella. Strong and stable leadership.
                He really is Trumpian.

Comment

Originally posted by Texsahara View Post
                  He really is Trumpian.
                  Oh, yeah. Here is a little more detail:

https://abcnews.go.com/Health/wireSt...blown-69782788

RIO DE JANEIRO -- President Jair Bolsonaro on Tuesday stuck with his contention that concern about the new coronavirus is overblown, and accused Brazilian media of trying to stoke nationwide hysteria.

Bolsonaro said in a nationally televised address that the media had seized on the death toll in Italy, which he said is suffering so severely because of its elderly population and colder climate.

“The virus arrived, we are confronting it, and it will pass shortly. Our lives have to continue, jobs should be maintained,” the president said.

Bolsonaro added that certain Brazilian states should abandon their “scorched earth” policy of prohibiting public transport, closing business and schools, and calling for mass confinement at home for their residents.
                  Sound familiar?
                  "Deep to left! Yastrzemski will not get it! It's a home run! A three-run homer by Bucky Dent! And the Yankees now lead by a score of 3-2!" - New York Yankees announcer Bill White (October 2, 1978)

Comment

Originally posted by theDurk View Post
                    Oh, yeah. Here is a little more detail:

https://abcnews.go.com/Health/wireSt...blown-69782788

Sound familiar?
                    Glenn Greenwald has had excellent coverage of Bolsonaro and Brazil's response to all of this in general.

While there are some uncomfortable parallels to Trump, that dude is handling this crisis waaaaaaaay worse than the White House.
                    Stay "We" my friends

Comment

Originally posted by Tyler Durden View Post
                      Glenn Greenwald has had excellent coverage of Bolsonaro and Brazil's response to all of this in general.

While there are some uncomfortable parallels to Trump, that dude is handling this crisis waaaaaaaay worse than the White House.
                      Well, he is pretty much where Trump was at the same level of infection.And Trump may well take a turn for the worse. I say we wait until the end of the race. I think it's too soon to call.

Comment

What's it going to take for us to realize en masse that we are, and have not been for a long time, the best country on earth?

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/25/o...gtype=Homepage
                        In 2006, Congress approved funds to add protective gear to a national strategic stockpile — among other things, the stockpile collected 52 million surgical face masks and 104 million N95 respirator masks.

But about 100 million masks in the stockpile were deployed in 2009 in the fight against the H1N1 flu pandemic, and the government never bothered to replace them. This month, Alex Azar, secretary of health and human services, testified that there are only about 40 million masks in the stockpile — around 1 percent of the projected national need.

As the coronavirus began to spread in China early this year, a global shortage of protective equipment began to look inevitable. But by then it was too late for the American government to do much about the problem. Two decades ago, most hospital protective gear was made domestically. But like much of the rest of the apparel and consumer products business, face mask manufacturing has since shifted nearly entirely overseas. “China is a producer of 80 percent of masks worldwide,” Laverdure said.

Hospitals began to run out of masks for the same reason that supermarkets ran out of toilet paper — because their “just-in-time” supply chains, which call for holding as little inventory as possible to meet demand, are built to optimize efficiency, not resiliency.
                        that we did not plan, as a nation, for this entirely predictable shortage makes me wonder what other inevitable pothole is lurking out there for all to trip over. Getting enough protective gear was among the cheapest, most effective things we could have done to slow down the pandemic. That we failed on such an obvious thing reveals an alarming national incapacity to imagine and prepare for the worst.

Comment

Originally posted by Bub View Post
                          We can easily go a month at a time here without shopping...once you live in remote area for awhile you get used to shopping infrequently. Frozen veggies and canned fruit will get you by in times like this. I haven’t shopped in about 2 weeks and we still have a pantry and freezer that can get us another few weeks if we need to.
                          I actually inventoried our food and other various items this week and decided we could easily go a month if not longer. I decided to skip the trip to the grocery store this week and most likely next week too.
                          You wanna know what? You gotta problem with Luis Cessa, you gotta problem with me. And I suggest you let that one marinate

Comment

Comment

I almost certainly do.

I don't think it's unusual for homeowners to have a freezer or an extra refrigerator. Obviously, this is something a lot more difficult for folks in apartments. But I have a freezer full of meats and shelves full of dry goods in my garage. Three weeks? Easy.

"But what people tend to forget...is that being a Yankee is as much about character as it is about performance; as much about who you are as what you do."
                              - President Barack Obama

Comment

McConnell and the Republicans who got on their soap box yesterday saying the time for negotiations was over, now want to re-negotiate the agreed upon deal saying the terms are too generous.

Comment

Working...
                                X