Covid-19

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Covid-19

A tangle of military protocols and bureaucratic hurdles has prevented the Comfort from accepting many patients at all.

On top of its strict rules preventing people infected with the virus from coming on board, the Navy is also refusing to treat a host of other conditions. Guidelines disseminated to hospitals included a list of 49 medical conditions that would exclude a patient from admittance to the ship.

Ambulances cannot take patients directly to the Comfort; they must first deliver patients to a city hospital for a lengthy evaluation — including a test for the virus — and then pick them up again for transport to the ship.
    "I'm from the government and I am here to help you...."
    "Deep to left! Yastrzemski will not get it! It's a home run! A three-run homer by Bucky Dent! And the Yankees now lead by a score of 3-2!" - New York Yankees announcer Bill White (October 2, 1978)

Comment

Originally posted by theDurk View Post
      And you told me to donate the N95 I found in my workshop. Glad I ignored you. Now wearing a P95 I found, which does everything the N95 does but lasts 40x longer...except, I have no where to go.
      If you're talking 3M they are the same mask. The difference is N95 is for particulate and P95 also protects against fumes, like gasoline, paint thinner, whatever

Comment

Originally posted by GordonGecko View Post
        If you're talking 3M they are the same mask. The difference is N95 is for particulate and P95 also protects against fumes, like gasoline, paint thinner, whatever
        Not even close. Whole different architecture. They have the SAME performance against viruses (the 95 part), but what I said about lifespan applies. This P95 is multiple use, technically a respirator, not a mere mask, while N95 are theoretically one time only. Yes P95 also protect against oily chemicals like auto paint which is why I have it.

"Deep to left! Yastrzemski will not get it! It's a home run! A three-run homer by Bucky Dent! And the Yankees now lead by a score of 3-2!" - New York Yankees announcer Bill White (October 2, 1978)

Comment

Originally posted by JL25and3 View Post
          The advice that everyone should wear masks is great, but there are no masks. Make your own, it's so easy! Yeah, if you have a sewing machine, or even a needle and thread, and you can sew. I never learned to sew, and have never needed to. Even the simple designs involve considerable stitching that's at least competent. I'll give it a try, but I don't expect it to be of any use.
          A stitching group donated some to me, if you want I’ll mail you a few.

Comment

Originally posted by yankeeschic12324 View Post
            A stitching group donated some to me, if you want I’ll mail you a few.
            I could get my sister to make me one, but I might as well try. It’ll be a good skill when the real zombie apocalypse comes.
            Russian warship, go **** yourself

Comment

Originally posted by Texsahara View Post
              I read some medical advice on this. Let me see if I can find it.

Ah. Here it is.

Hope that helps.
              What are the odds Ivanka has a new line of scarves coming out soon?

Comment

Originally posted by JL25and3 View Post
                I could get my sister to make me one, but I might as well try. It’ll be a good skill when the real zombie apocalypse comes.
                If it helps, I have a gorilla mask from an old halloween costume you can have. Who doesn't want to be Mighty Joe Young?
                You wanna know what? You gotta problem with Luis Cessa, you gotta problem with me. And I suggest you let that one marinate

Comment

The (illegitimate) governor of Georgia "just learned" that Covid19 can be transmitted even if you don't have symptoms. Unreal.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...mptomatically/

After resisting a statewide stay-at-home order for days, Georgia Gov. Brian Kemp (R) succumbed to the pressure and issued one on Wednesday. Part of the reason, he said, was that he had just learned some new information.

Kemp said he was “finding out that this virus is now transmitting before people see signs.”

“Those individuals could have been infecting people before they ever felt bad, but we didn’t know that until the last 24 hours,” he said. He added that the state’s top doctor told him that “this is a game-changer.”
                  "we didn't know that until the last 24 hours" is something he could have said on January 15th, not April 2nd. Colossal failure of leadership and more Republican ignorance of experts and science.

Then just last night you have this going out to millions of people...

https://twitter.com/NikkiMcR/status/...586026499?s=20
                  Tucker Carlson blames public health experts for bungled COVID-19 response: "The experts failed, yet the experts now have more power than ever before... We can't allow experts to make the big decisions. That is not their job. This is a democracy. It is our job."
                  "We can't allow experts to make big decisions." That's the crux of modern conservatism in a nutshell.

Comment

Originally posted by RhodyYanksFan View Post
                    The (illegitimate) governor of Georgia "just learned" that Covid19 can be transmitted even if you don't have symptoms. Unreal.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...mptomatically/
                    It sounds even worse when you consider the CDC is headquartered in his state.

Comment

I keep getting bombarded with emails from my bank and credit card companies telling me "We're Here to Help!" Even freaskin' Comcast sent me one.

Yeah, sure they are.
                      You wanna know what? You gotta problem with Luis Cessa, you gotta problem with me. And I suggest you let that one marinate

Comment

Originally posted by fredgmuggs View Post
                        I keep getting bombarded with emails from my bank and credit card companies telling me "We're Here to Help!" Even freaskin' Comcast sent me one.

Yeah, sure they are.
                        Happy to help in any way other than letting me skip a payment.

Comment

Originally posted by fredgmuggs View Post

Yeah, sure they are.
                          It’s like being thanked by an ATM.

Good news: as I think i said, Monday I’ll be fitted for an N95 mask.
                          Bad news: I have to shave off my beard.
                          Russian warship, go **** yourself

Comment

Originally posted by jl25and3 View Post
                            good news: As i think i said, monday i’ll be fitted for an n95 mask.
                            Bad news: I have to shave off my beard.
                            r.i.p.

Comment

Internal Emails Show How Chaos at the CDC Slowed the Early Response to Coronavirus

On Feb. 13, the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention sent out an email with what the author described as an “URGENT” call for help.

The agency was struggling with one of its most important duties: keeping track of Americans suspected of having the novel coronavirus. It had “an ongoing issue” with organizing — and sometimes flat-out losing — forms sent by local agencies about people thought to be infected. The email listed job postings for people who could track or retrieve this paperwork.

“Help needed urgently,” the CDC wrote.

This email is among hundreds of pages of correspondence between federal and state public health officials obtained by ProPublica through a records request in Nevada.

During the period in which the correspondence was written, from January to early March, health officials were trying to stay ahead of the coronavirus outbreak underway in China. By mid-February, when the CDC job postings email went out, the virus had a toehold in the United States, where there were already 15 confirmed cases. In another two weeks, the first case of community transmission would be reported in California, followed shortly by cases in Washington.

The documents — mostly emails — provide a behind-the-scenes peek into the messy early stages of the U.S. response to the coronavirus, revealing an antiquated public health system trying to adapt on the fly. What comes through clearly is confusion, as the CDC underestimated the threat from the virus and stumbled in communicating to local public health officials what should be done.
                              The postmortem on this entire debacle, top to bottom, is going to be insane.

Comment

My wife has friends and clients calling/texting her all the time asking if she can cut their hair and she always refuses because she doesn't want the close personal contact. While most of them understand her position, there are some who get furious with her. People are an amusing and selfish bunch.

Comment

Working...
                                X