Covid-19

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Covid-19

Oh man False1. I'm terribly sorry to hear this. Please know that you and your family are in my thoughts and prayers.

Comment

Originally posted by False1 View Post
      They need to figure out how to prevent lines. It's not as if the virus can spread only indoors when people are in motion and not outdoors when people are idle. Something like...

...this.

Within the last year or so out here online grocery shopping has really taken off. You can order everything you need online and a shopper prepares your purchase. You can either have it delivered (Instacart style) or to save on the delivery costs they give you a time window where you can pick it up curbside. Someone loads the items in your vehicle and you're off. Is that available where most other people are? This would make so much sense in terms of controlling spread as well. If the "shoppers" are tested for symptoms, having a select few uninfected people handling items rather than hundreds or thousands of "unknowns" traversing a common area and interacting with items that will be spread out one by one across entire communities makes so much sense. It also might be a way to more effectively limit hoarding risk. Since my wife is in the high risk group, I'm taking extra precautions with anything entering our home from the outside but it's unrealistic to think people are going to disinfect everything that comes home from the store.

Hoarding however has another unfortunate side effect here. Since so many things are out of stock, you almost have to go into the store so once you see your plan A purchases are eliminated (and plan B, and plan C) you can pick from whatever items are remaining to help get by.
      I know some folks who always have used home delivery service for their groceries but they've told me there is a backlog/lengthy wait time when making an order now.
      You wanna know what? You gotta problem with Luis Cessa, you gotta problem with me. And I suggest you let that one marinate

Comment

Originally posted by fredgmuggs View Post
        I know some folks who always have used home delivery service for their groceries but they've told me there is a backlog/lengthy wait time when making an order now.
        I haven't see Peapod or Instacart times as being available anywhere. There is a small grocerette in our area that delivers, but their wait time has ballooned from a two day turnaround to five days. Mixing and matching with some of the larger chains can help out. I just got a grocery delivery from Target. Limited of course, but still any amount helps.

One other thing that I'm seeing is that, since restaurants can't serve in the building, that they have ramped up deliveries. The chains are holding on, but some of the smaller places are closing up for the duration. Especially tough in my area since all the colleges have let out. This is like closing the beaches for 4th of July for these guys.

Comment

I saw an ice cream truck go down our street today. That seems a bit sketchy to me.
          You wanna know what? You gotta problem with Luis Cessa, you gotta problem with me. And I suggest you let that one marinate

Comment

I saw an ice cream truck go down our street today. That seems a bit sketchy to me.
            Probably Brady Hartsfield.
            Sometimes I feel like my sell by date expired yesterday.

Comment

Originally posted by Archer1979 View Post
              I haven't see Peapod or Instacart times as being available anywhere. There is a small grocerette in our area that delivers, but their wait time has ballooned from a two day turnaround to five days. Mixing and matching with some of the larger chains can help out. I just got a grocery delivery from Target. Limited of course, but still any amount helps.

One other thing that I'm seeing is that, since restaurants can't serve in the building, that they have ramped up deliveries. The chains are holding on, but some of the smaller places are closing up for the duration. Especially tough in my area since all the colleges have let out. This is like closing the beaches for 4th of July for these guys.
              I have been able to find both Peapod and Instacart slots by logging on at odd hours. At 5am today, I got an Instacart slot for Wegman's for April 16. They had had no slots at 2am on any useful store. I could have got one sooner but I just received a Peapod. A balky prostate helps here.
              "Deep to left! Yastrzemski will not get it! It's a home run! A three-run homer by Bucky Dent! And the Yankees now lead by a score of 3-2!" - New York Yankees announcer Bill White (October 2, 1978)

Comment

No problem at all, everything is fine

Comment

Originally posted by JL25and3 View Post
                  For all I know, the N95 will be less uncomfortable than the surgical mask. I doubt it, but I'll see. Then I can probably start regrowing the beard pretty quickly, because I won't need the supermask much, if at all.

Honestly, I think the risk at my hospital is not great enough for all this mask-fitting. I shouldn't have one until everyone working at a medical hospital has access to one.
                  N95 is definitely more uncomfortable than a surgical mask. It's tighter because it has to form a good seal which causes bruises/pressure ulcers if you wear it all day and makes it super hot.

Comment

Originally posted by False1 View Post
                    Lost a beloved uncle today in NY. He'd been fighting for two weeks on a respirator and just couldn't pull up. He was a Marine colonel who survived two tours in Viet Nam and survived 9/11 but tragically could not survive this virus. He was in his late 70's and lived a full life, but did not deserve to go like this - isolated and away from his wife, children, grandkids and extended family. They did let my aunt in to spend a moment with him today (with full precautions taken) but by that point the only thing keeping him alive was the respirator. He was not responding to painful stimuli. But she got to say a goodbye before making the tough and admirable decision to take him off the ventilator and let him pass peacefully so that the life saving equipment could be provided to someone else in need with hope of full recovery.

He will be deeply missed and his passing was premature, but the most tragic aspect is that his kids didn't get to say goodbye while he was still alive, and further the funeral will be limited to 10 people tops. He deserved the opportunity for all his family, friends and loved ones to say goodbye and to receive an honor guard and military service. Things that may seem small with everything else going on but he lived a charitable life worthy of those small remembrances. Hopefully someday down the road we can celebrate his life and grieve as a family together, the way we should be doing now.

Thanks for letting me post these words here. I'm finding it hard to grieve in this virtual and isolated environment.

Stay safe out there.
                    Very sorry to hear of your loss. May he rest in peace.

Comment

I drove by one on Friday. SMH.

Comment

Originally posted by JL25and3 View Post
                        Apparently you have some glitches in English, too.
                        You're a glitch in any language.
                        "Our work continues, the fight goes on, and the big dreams never die." -- Elizabeth Warren

Comment

Ours still comes by every Thursday. I feel bad for him.
                          "Our work continues, the fight goes on, and the big dreams never die." -- Elizabeth Warren

Comment

Catherine Rampell@crampell

Capt. Brett E. Crozier, the Navy captain who was removed from command of a coronavirus-stricken aircraft carrier after requesting more help for his sailors, has tested positive for Covid-19
                            Of course.

Comment

Moment of selfishness. I just want to go to Denny's and sit down while I eat pancakes and bacon. In the restaurant. I miss normal things.

Comment

Originally posted by jlw1980 View Post
                                Moment of selfishness. I just want to go to Denny's and sit down while I eat pancakes and bacon. In the restaurant. I miss normal things.
                                The Grand Slam Breakfast.

(I've never eaten in a Denny's that I'm aware of)

Comment

Working...
                                X