Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Covid-19

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Re: Covid-19

    Furloughed for a minimum of four weeks effective Sunday. Keep my position when this is over and my health insurance. Time to enjoy the New York Unemployment website.

    Good thing we don't need a lot of nurses during a pandemic.
    Originally posted by 4bronxbombers
    Well....I am a total bacon whore...
    <--- The Ryan emoticon.

    Comment


      Re: Covid-19

      A friend of mine made an interesting comment. He said he's getting dinged by his local cable company for $10.95 a month for a regional sports fee - but there hasn't been regional sports to watch in over a month.
      You wanna know what? You gotta problem with Luis Cessa, you gotta problem with me. And I suggest you let that one marinate

      Comment


        Re: Covid-19

        Originally posted by fredgmuggs View Post
        A friend of mine made an interesting comment. He said he's getting dinged by his local cable company for $10.95 a month for a regional sports fee - but there hasn't been regional sports to watch in over a month.
        This is going to be a hot issue. I'm waiting to call DirecTV for some refunds due to no live sports programming. Korean baseball doesn't cut it with me.
        NYYFANS: See you on the other side!

        Comment


          Originally posted by NyQuil View Post
          Furloughed for a minimum of four weeks effective Sunday. Keep my position when this is over and my health insurance. Time to enjoy the New York Unemployment website.

          Good thing we don't need a lot of nurses during a pandemic.

          Ah! Can you take a crisis contract in NYC in the meantime? I mean I guess if unemployment kicks in that works too. Haha

          Wild they didnít need you. No opportunities to upskill where you are to assist in ICU/ER?

          Comment


            Re: Covid-19

            Originally posted by yankeeschic12324 View Post
            Ah! Can you take a crisis contract in NYC in the meantime? I mean I guess if unemployment kicks in that works too. Haha

            Wild they didn’t need you. No opportunities to upskill where you are to assist in ICU/ER?
            Not yet at least. Once we are back to normal staffing I am going try to move to the OR while remaining per diem in the PACU.

            I may look at traveling to NYC, depending on if I get the full State amount and the CARES amount.
            Originally posted by 4bronxbombers
            Well....I am a total bacon whore...
            <--- The Ryan emoticon.

            Comment


              Re: Covid-19

              Originally posted by fredgmuggs View Post
              A friend of mine made an interesting comment. He said he's getting dinged by his local cable company for $10.95 a month for a regional sports fee - but there hasn't been regional sports to watch in over a month.
              Ahh that's something I hadn't thought about. My car insurance company (Allstate) has refunded me 15% of my monthly premium during this. Cable should do the same, if I still had it.

              Comment


                Re: Covid-19

                Originally posted by RhodyYanksFan View Post
                Ahh that's something I hadn't thought about. My car insurance company (Allstate) has refunded me 15% of my monthly premium during this. Cable should do the same, if I still had it.
                My car insurance (GEICO) has said that I will get a 15% discount for the next period upon renewal.

                Comment


                  Originally posted by RYMASTER or Ryan_Yankees View Post
                  My car insurance (GEICO) has said that I will get a 15% discount for the next period upon renewal.
                  Same. And I'm still driving 60 miles a day to work and back. Suckers.

                  Comment


                    Re: Covid-19

                    Originally posted by Maynerd
                    Then, what are the criteria for opening things back up? Serious question. Do we wait for a certain decrease to the number of new cases? If so, what do we do when the numbers start to ramp upward again? Do we wait until the disease is eradicated? That could very easily take years.
                    Other countries are already grappling with this and have some options developed. In Germany (which has been fortunate/effective so far in containing the problem), I think the metric is no more than 35 new cases per 100,000 population in one week. That's 3-4 times the current rate of growth nationally in Germany, but is still under the number of new cases in the US over the last week. And Germany is testing almost 50% more than the US.

                    So metrics are available for this kind of thing. But there are lots of parts of the US (and many other countries and regions) which wouldn't be ready to re-open, using those metrics.

                    I'd also note that, the later in a pandemic you get sick, all other things being equal, the better. Your chances of surviving Covid-19, and of your survival not incurring long-term or permanent health damage, improve a lot if you're not part of the first wave.

                    So flattening the curve reduces the risk of systemic failure in the healthcare system (therefore reducing deaths from all causes, not just Covid-19), and it allows you to ease suppression methods earlier (countries who jumped on lockdown after very few cases/deaths are the first to relax, by and large), AND it reduces the damage per case.

                    Be seeing you,

                    Saxmania
                    Mayonnaise is a demanding master.

                    Comment


                      Re: Covid-19

                      Originally posted by Saxmania View Post
                      ...I think the metric is no more than 35 new cases per 100,000 population in one week. That's 3-4 times the current rate of growth nationally in Germany, but is still under the number of new cases in the US over the last week. And Germany is testing almost 50% more than the US.
                      I can't see this metric being effective in the US until a far greater percent of the population is being tested. Right now, we're holding tests back for those who are at greater risk or who are demonstrating symptoms, so the data does not represent the overall population.

                      Originally posted by Saxmania
                      But there are lots of parts of the US (and many other countries and regions) which wouldn't be ready to re-open, using those metrics.
                      Very true. We have states that have barely been impacted by the virus, where the solution has, in fact, been worse than the disease. North Dakota should be able to make re-opening decisions independent of data from New York.

                      Originally posted by Saxmania
                      I'd also note that, the later in a pandemic you get sick, all other things being equal, the better. Your chances of surviving Covid-19, and of your survival not incurring long-term or permanent health damage, improve a lot if you're not part of the first wave.
                      Also true. Early on, everyone was in a lather about the availability of ventilators. And, a few weeks later, it seems that the early use of a ventilator is not such a good idea. We may have done damage to a lot of people in that first wave, because we didn't fully understand the disease.

                      I'm still at a loss as to what metric is the right one for opening the economy back up. If 'flattening the curve' only serves to push the cases to the right, but not reduce the overall total, what are we gaining by waiting? If an effective vaccine was a month away, it'd be different. That vaccine is much farther away than that.

                      We locked folks up without a clear indication of what the conditions should be to unlock them.

                      "But what people tend to forget...is that being a Yankee is as much about character as it is about performance; as much about who you are as what you do."
                      - President Barack Obama

                      Comment


                        Re: Covid-19

                        There is so much stupidity adding obstacles to our way out of this mess that I hate to add to the pile. But, guess what? The vaccine, seen as the only true solution, especially for high-risk individuals like yours truly, may face significant resistance from the anti-vaxxers. Maybe it will prevent achievement of herd immunity.

                        https://theconversation.com/a-majori...problem-137559

                        According to some estimates, 50% to 70% of Americans would need to develop immunity to COVID-19 – either naturally, or via a vaccine – in order to thwart the spread of the virus. If these estimates are correct, that could mean that nearly twice as many Americans would need to elect to receive a COVID-19 vaccine than those who currently opt to be vaccinated against seasonal influenza. Just 37% of American adults did so in 2017-2018, even in the midst of a historically severe flu season.

                        Making matters more complicated is the possibility that people who hold skeptical views about vaccine safety – sometimes referred to as “anti-vaxxers” – will not opt to receive the coronavirus vaccine. According to some estimates, about one-fifth to two-fifths of Americans express reservations about vaccine safety. If most of these individuals forego receiving a COVID-19 vaccine, they could potentially jeopardize the recovery process.
                        "Deep to left! Yastrzemski will not get it! It's a home run! A three-run homer by Bucky Dent! And the Yankees now lead by a score of 3-2!" - New York Yankees announcer Bill White (October 2, 1978)

                        Comment


                          Re: Covid-19

                          Originally posted by theDurk View Post
                          There is so much stupidity adding obstacles to our way out of this mess that I hate to add to the pile. But, guess what? The vaccine, seen as the only true solution, especially for high-risk individuals like yours truly, may face significant resistance from the anti-vaxxers. Maybe it will prevent achievement of herd immunity.

                          https://theconversation.com/a-majori...problem-137559
                          Itís not just anti-vaxxers. I have a number of friends who are not anti-vaxx but have said that they will not take a vaccine that becomes available right away because they donít trust it wonít have unforeseen side effects. They would wait to see how it impacts others for a while before they take it. I donít know how long ďa whileĒ is though.
                          2020 - We have baseball! For now.

                          The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese in the trap.

                          Comment


                            Re: Covid-19

                            VP Pence assistant Katie Miller (wife of Stephen Miller) tests positive for coronavirus

                            Comment


                              Re: Covid-19

                              Originally posted by YankeePride1967 View Post
                              VP Pence assistant Katie Miller (wife of Stephen Miller) tests positive for coronavirus
                              Acyn Torabi@Acyn
                              Trump: Katie, she tested very good for a long period of time and then all of the sudden today she tested positive... This is why the whole concept of tests arenít necessarily great
                              .....

                              Comment


                                Re: Covid-19

                                Originally posted by Texsahara View Post
                                .....
                                Unbelievable.
                                2020 - We have baseball! For now.

                                The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese in the trap.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X