Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: President Joe Biden

The New York Times@nytimes
    Breaking News: Congress granted a waiver to let Lloyd Austin serve as defense secretary, clearing the way for confirmation of the first Black American to hold the job.
    Do not like. The wavier part, not the first Black American part. Just in case anyone was confused.

Comment

Originally posted by JL25and3 View Post
      Why do you think Warren would make a good majority leader? I think she’s a terrific Senator, but I have no idea whether she’d be good as majority leader.
      I think she's smart, savvy, and has the ability to get things done.

Originally posted by Yankee Tripper View Post
      Former Senator McConnell would sound better
      For real.

Originally posted by Maynerd View Post
      Just an observation.......

For four years, it's been about Trump. His supporters were more enamored of the man than any specific agenda. His detractors were unable to string more than two sentences together without using his name. Trump himself made everything about Trump, and only with superlatives. "Biggest, best, most-loved."

It's been less than a day since Biden took the oath, so the sample size is very small, but everything is NOT about him. We're talking about Amanda Gorman, about Lady Gaga's rendition of the anthem. We're talking about Bernie's mittens and the podium-sanitizer. We're talking about Michelle Obama's dress and the size of the Biden Family Bible.

It's.......refreshing.....to have the focus on things other than the President himself. A baby step, perhaps, but certainly in the right direction.
      Michelle was wearing pants, not a dress.

Originally posted by HfxBob View Post
      When the left talks about "unity", what they really mean is unity with each other, and against the right.

Originally posted by Texsahara View Post
      Do not like. The wavier part, not the first Black American part. Just in case anyone was confused.
      Not good. There are plenty of qualified candidates who wouldn't need a waiver.
      "Our work continues, the fight goes on, and the big dreams never die." -- Elizabeth Warren

Comment

I'm glad Austin got the waiver as Biden needs somebody with a very intimate knowledge of DOD so they can clean the Trump crap from that department in a short time.
        NYYFANS: See you on the other side!

Comment

Originally posted by jlw1980 View Post
          I think she's smart, savvy, and has the ability to get things done.
          I don’t know, but I don’t really see her as the kind who can really whip a caucus into shape. You want a woman for the job, I think Klobuchar would be a better choice.
          Russian warship, go **** yourself

Comment

Originally posted by Yankees1962 View Post
            I'm glad Austin got the waiver as Biden needs somebody with a very intimate knowledge of DOD so they can clean the Trump crap from that department in a short time.
            I don't understand the pushback against him. Both votes for the waiver were bipartisan/overwhelming. Everyone agrees he will do a good job. He has reaffirmed that he supports civilian control of the military. And if he doesn't do a good job or defies orders from the civilian commander in chief, he can be immediately terminated by Biden. The rule exists for a reason, and so does the waiver. If the consensus is that 4 years as a civilian was enough for this candidate (as opposed to 7), I don't have a problem with it.

The thing with the Warren/Klobuchar question is that it doesn't really matter. Both would be good in the job IMO, but Schumer will as well and isn't going anywhere.

Comment

Originally posted by fredgmuggs View Post
              One thing I noticed yesterday was people kept grabbing the handrail and I kept thinking to myself, "ugh!". But Ga-Ga didn't grab the hand railing. I wonder if that was a conscious decision by her. In any case, good for her for actually using proper health protocols.
              People were grabbing the handrail because it's a lot of stairs, and people over a certain age (I thought you were in that number, was I wrong?) have learned it's better to be safe than sorry when descending a lot of stairs, especially in stilettos.

People of Ga-Ga's vintage needn't give it a second thought. And how about that giant dove?

EDIT: If you meant people were breaking health protocols by touching a frequently touched object like a handrail ... health protocols don't mean you have to endanger life and limb. Just sanitize/wash as soon as feasible, and don't touch your face (or anyone else's hands, face, etc.)

Comment

As I said, there are other qualified folks who don't need a waiver. Even Maynerd, our military guy, agrees with this.

I don’t know, but I don’t really see her as the kind who can really whip a caucus into shape. You want a woman for the job, I think Klobuchar would be a better choice.
                Why don't you think she could whip a caucus into shape? Klobuchar likely would do well, too, but I don't like her.
                "Our work continues, the fight goes on, and the big dreams never die." -- Elizabeth Warren

Comment

As I said, there are other qualified folks who don't need a waiver. Even Maynerd, our military guy, agrees with this.
                  Yet, Biden wanted him and I think Biden should be able to get the person he wants since the waiver was granted as the DOD is all screwed up by Trump and his cronies. Austin will get the military guys to drop the dimes on those Trump individuals that need to be replaced in that department.
                  NYYFANS: See you on the other side!

Comment

Why don't you think she could whip a caucus into shape? Klobuchar likely would do well, too, but I don't like her.
                    She's tough, but she doesn’t seem like a browbeater.

Comment

Yet, Biden wanted him and I think Biden should be able to get the person he wants since the waiver was granted as the DOD is all screwed up by Trump and his cronies. Austin will get the military guys to drop the dimes on those Trump individuals that need to be replaced in that department.

Eh. Might as well just abolish the rule if "my guy wants it" is the criteria. I also don't think the DOD is all screwed up. I feel like we've already had this argument so we'll just have to disagree.

Comment

She's tough, but she doesn’t seem like a browbeater.
                        If the Democrats are going to be changing leadership in the near future (and I doubt Schumer wants to go anywhere given that they just got the majority; I believe Pelosi has said this is her last term of leadership), perhaps they should go for some folks under 70? Warren's great, but if there are going to be changes, it would be nice to be a bit more forward looking.

Comment

Originally posted by YFIB View Post
                          If the Democrats are going to be changing leadership in the near future (and I doubt Schumer wants to go anywhere given that they just got the majority; I believe Pelosi has said this is her last term of leadership), perhaps they should go for some folks under 70? Warren's great, but if there are going to be changes, it would be nice to be a bit more forward looking.
                          This. Schumer is my issue first. Dems have control, why is he conceding anything to Mitch? He has already agreed to split evenly the number of people on each committee and is considering Mitch’s request to promise not to lift the filibuster. Concede NOTHING! You know the Republicans wouldn’t concede a thing to the Dems in similar circumstances

Comment

This one speaks to me:

Comment

Originally posted by YankeePride1967 View Post
                              This. Schumer is my issue first. Dems have control, why is he conceding anything to Mitch? He has already agreed to split evenly the number of people on each committee and is considering Mitch’s request to promise not to lift the filibuster. Concede NOTHING! You know the Republicans wouldn’t concede a thing to the Dems in similar circumstances
                              The power sharing agreement is fine. Dems would still have all the control. I think they need to use the nuclear option on the organizing resolution though if Mitch doesn't play nice with it soon.

Good explainer thread on this: https://twitter.com/AJentleson/statu...823044101?s=19
                              Last edited by Texsahara; 01-22-21, 07:52 AM.

Comment

Oliver Willis@owillis
                                “The orders Mr. Biden will sign Friday would increase the weekly value of Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program benefits, commonly known as food stamps, for about 12 million families “ https://www.nytimes.com/2021/01/22/b...e=articleShare
                                Other good stuff in the article. Admin starting off with a bang. I like it.

Comment

Working...
                                X