Longest Thread Ever 5.0

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jlw1980 View Post

Right? Seems recent yet also a lifetime ago.
    My ex-wife (then wife) was flying to Chicago that morning. When I heard planes were being deliberately crashed, well, you can imagine. Eventually I found out those weren't her flights but because cell and phone service was hit&miss after the world trade building collapses I couldn't get through to her. She was able to contact my oldest son (I forget where he was at the time but I'm thinking it was Boston) and he was able to get a message to my work that she was OK and her plane was diverted to I think Pittsburgh. She wasn't able to get back home right away (all flights were grounded) but a few days later she was able to get a ride back home with a bunch of strangers in a rented car. She was the last person, so we had to return the car to the rental company. I don't recall who paid for it but I suspect she ended up being the one who expensed it.

You're right. It seems like a lifetime ago but also just yesterday
    You wanna know what? You gotta problem with Luis Cessa, you gotta problem with me. And I suggest you let that one marinate

Comment

Originally posted by fredgmuggs View Post

My ex-wife (then wife) was flying to Chicago that morning. When I heard planes were being deliberately crashed, well, you can imagine. Eventually I found out those weren't her flights but because cell and phone service was hit&miss after the world trade building collapses I couldn't get through to her. She was able to contact my oldest son (I forget where he was at the time but I'm thinking it was Boston) and he was able to get a message to my work that she was OK and her plane was diverted to I think Pittsburgh. She wasn't able to get back home right away (all flights were grounded) but a few days later she was able to get a ride back home with a bunch of strangers in a rented car. She was the last person, so we had to return the car to the rental company. I don't recall who paid for it but I suspect she ended up being the one who expensed it.

I recall you mentioning her flying to Chicago that day, and the obvious fear that accompanied that, especially since nobody knew if another metropolis (Sears Tower?) such as that could be a target.

I was just a university senior way out west, but it was an eerie and somber day on campus. Many canceled classes, but I recall my 9am Shakespeare professor saying that he felt that he would be "letting them win" if he did. I didn't agree with that assessment, but I was there. A few people in that class were from the NYC metro area, but said they came to class because they couldn't bear to sit home and watch it on TV, and there was nothing they could do, anyway. There certainly was no way for them to get home.

I recall a lot of details of the day, but mostly the emotions connected to it. Seeing images or videos, and reading certain articles, still gives me anxiety. I was glued to CNN for several days. It must've been so much worse for those of you much closer to it.

I was such a different (not in a good way) person then, and have lived a couple of lifetimes in the ensuing two decades.
      "Our work continues, the fight goes on, and the big dreams never die." -- Elizabeth Warren

Comment

I can only imagine how those people were on those flights couldn't do anything but lucky lots of people who got outta the buildings if not that # would have been higher

Comment

I walked twice, about 25 ft. each time, inside the parallel bars at physical therapy today. First time waking since August 19th, just the second time since mid-July. Felt damn good.

Comment

Originally posted by RYMASTER or Ryan_Yankees View Post
            I walked twice, about 25 ft. each time, inside the parallel bars at physical therapy today. First time waking since August 19th, just the second time since mid-July. Felt damn good.
            Now you're ready for the parallel bars at the next Olympics!
            "Our work continues, the fight goes on, and the big dreams never die." -- Elizabeth Warren

Comment

Terrific. Keep up the good work.
              Sometimes I feel like my sell by date expired yesterday.

Comment

That’s awesome, Ryan.
                History is our lessons to learn good things to do and bad things to not do.
                - MTG

Comment

Wonderful news.

"But what people tend to forget...is that being a Yankee is as much about character as it is about performance; as much about who you are as what you do."
                  - President Barack Obama

Comment

This summer has been… A lot. Ooof.

Comment

Originally posted by yankeeschic12324 View Post
                      This summer has been… A lot. Ooof.
                      It seems like it rained at least every forth day this summer in my neck of the woods. Rain makes my life at work easier (except when we got nearly 8 inches of rain one day and every single bunker was destroyed and needed to be rebuilt. That was fun, especially when my boss decided he was going to go to the Cape and left me to deal with it)
                      You wanna know what? You gotta problem with Luis Cessa, you gotta problem with me. And I suggest you let that one marinate

Comment

It seems like it rained at least every forth day this summer in my neck of the woods. Rain makes my life at work easier (except when we got nearly 8 inches of rain one day and every single bunker was destroyed and needed to be rebuilt. That was fun, especially when my boss decided he was going to go to the Cape and left me to deal with it)
                        Out of curiosity, do you even play golf?
                        History is our lessons to learn good things to do and bad things to not do.
                        - MTG

Comment

Originally posted by JL25and3 View Post
                          Out of curiosity, do you even play golf?
                          Hah, I went to Bryant on a golf scholarship. I used to play a lot when I was younger but now I just play every now for fun.

Comment

That sounds messy yikes.

Comment

I used to play a lot when I was younger but now I just play every now for fun.
                              I'm sorry for your wife.

(I'll be here all day. Tip your waiter.)

Comment

Hah, I went to Bryant on a golf scholarship. I used to play a lot when I was younger but now I just play every now for fun.
                                Off on a two day golf trip in St.Jean du Mantha…….

"Happy Wife.........Happy Life" - unknown

Comment

Working...
                                X