Returning in 2021?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Returning in 2021?

Sure man I get your points but that scenario makes some assumptions that arent necessarily going to be true unless I misunderstand something.

How can you assume a team is capable of holding onto a 1st round talent in the 3rd or 4th round? That would have required you to draft a player that has become a 1st round talent in the 4th or 5th round last year. Using myself as an example since the draft numbers work, I drafted Brantley and Eduardo Rodriguez in those rounds... sure I could keep at picks 59 and 62... whoopie for me? sure doesnt feel like I'm nailing 4 1st/ early second round picks.

Also if the suggestion of the snake draft going away works nobody has picks 19/22 anymore. Now you have 19/39 and michael brantley in the 3rd Erod in the 4th

Comment

Originally posted by JMP08 View Post
      Sure man I get your points but that scenario makes some assumptions that arent necessarily going to be true unless I misunderstand something.

How can you assume a team is capable of holding onto a 1st round talent in the 3rd or 4th round? That would have required you to draft a player that has become a 1st round talent in the 4th or 5th round last year. Using myself as an example since the draft numbers work, I drafted Brantley and Eduardo Rodriguez in those rounds... sure I could keep at picks 59 and 62... whoopie for me? sure doesnt feel like I'm nailing 4 1st/ early second round picks.

Also if the suggestion of the snake draft going away works nobody has picks 19/22 anymore. Now you have 19/39 and michael brantley in the 3rd Erod in the 4th
      I feel like we had this exact same convo in the previous discussion. Your specific circumstances related to the draft, to me, are not relevant.

What we are trying to review, holistically, is whether getting the first pick or the first 5 picks in the draft are actually worth it. Based on most peoples' reaction, it is not. It's become more and more clear that keepers drive this league, regardless of where your keepers are slotted, the points keepers get are 'generally' the best picks of that round. Not always, but if you go through the results of each draft, overall it is. So ANY benefit to your keeper round and the later in the draft you can push your keepers is the maximum benefit.

To me the draft needs work, something should change to incentivize teams to actually go for the first pick or the best record or most points at the end of the season if they won't make the playoffs. Right now, at least based on the trades the last 5 years, the biggest incentive is to trade whatever you can for the best keeper you can get. That trend towards 'selling off' earlier and earlier in the season is indicative of the keeper value over draft position.
      NYYFans FBBL: Babe's Blasts

Routinely wishing bad mojo on the Bruins.

Comment

Aight man. You’re talking theoretical and I’m looking for practical examples and just not seeing it.

Comment

Originally posted by JMP08 View Post
          Aight man. You’re talking theoretical and I’m looking for practical examples and just not seeing it.
          I could also be completely wrong and the draft is fine as is

Comment

A) We shouldn't make any changes to anything for this season. It's too late. That said, there should be changes.
            B) We should have a period in April to discuss and decide on changes for 2022.

1) When is the draft?
            2) Are there any teams not coming back? Do we need to recruit?
            3) What are the rules for the player who is not a part of this forum?

Thank you.
            Last edited by JDPNYY; 03-05-21, 07:52 AM.
            Sometimes I feel like my sell by date expired yesterday.

Comment

Originally posted by JDPNYY View Post
              A) We shouldn't make any changes to anything for this season. It's too late. That said, there should be changes.
              B) We should have a period in April to discuss and decide on changes for 2021.

1) When is the draft?

Thank you.
              Are these Socratic style questions that can be debated?
              I see you are comfortable with ambuguity. That is an example of critical thinking. Can you lead the seminar? You will get extra credit.
              "Jerry, It's Frank Costanza. Mr. Steinbrenner is here. George is dead. Call me back."

Comment

B) We should have a period in April to discuss and decide on changes for 2022.

1) When is the draft?

Thank you.
                We have been talking about changing the draft for over a year. I disagree it's too late. It's always going to be 'too late' as a lot of owners are disengaged from the forum and this sub-forum until it's time to draft.
                At this point everyone should have a fairly firm grasp of whether they think the draft should change or not.

Comment

Originally posted by ruthianblast View Post
                  We have been talking about changing the draft for over a year. I disagree it's too late. It's always going to be 'too late' as a lot of owners are disengaged from the forum and this sub-forum until it's time to draft.
                  At this point everyone should have a fairly firm grasp of whether they think the draft should change or not.
                  It’s too late because people will be pushing for/voting for things that will help them this year.
                  I said we need to have these discussions/decisions in April for the next year so that doesn’t happen. The discussions can certainly happen starting now, but for next year.
                  We’ve been having these discussions for years now because no decision/vote is ever taken.

Comment

It’s too late because people will be pushing for/voting for things that will help them this year.
                    I said we need to have these discussions/decisions in April for the next year so that doesn’t happen. The discussions can certainly happen starting now, but for next year.
                    We’ve been having these discussions for years now because no decision/vote is ever taken.
                    Good points, understood.

Comment

It’s also too late by Rule:

No rules that affect the order of the draft can be implemented until
                      another draft has taken place. For example: In February of 2006, owners decide
                      to change how the draft is ordered. Since the draft for 2006 will not take place
                      until March, the new rule will take effect with the 2007 draft. If the owners
                      decide to change how the draft will be ordered after the 2006 draft is held, the
                      new rule will take effect in 2008. For scoring, the new rules will take affect
                      the following season if the draft has already been held for that season, or the
                      new season if the draft has not been held.

Comment

Yes these will go into effect next year, if at all. I like the April proposal period for new rule changes. If anyone has any rule changes, send them to me and I will start new threads to discuss them and vote on them.
                        Join the NYYFANS keeper league. Click here!

Comment

can we get a draft date decided soon?
                          "Jerry, It's Frank Costanza. Mr. Steinbrenner is here. George is dead. Call me back."

Comment

Working...
                          X