No announcement yet.

2021 LV Raiders

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Handed them the game on a silver platter. 3 extra points to the Bengals on the Carr fumble on his own 20. 3 extra points on the idiot kick returner for not positioning himself properly cost LV 38 yards in field position and an ez subsequent drive for a Cincy FG. Ridiculous number of 5 and 10 yard penalties on the offensive line killed 2 TD drives and got FGs instead. One of them would have positioned them for 2nd and goal on the 1. That was 8 points lost. Another 3 points at the end lost when forced to go for it on 4th and goal from the 10. And of course , in keeping with the long tradition of bogus calls in the playoffs against the Raiders, the obligatory failure to enforce the rules as written by the NFL gave Cincy 4 extra points on Cincy's final after the whistle TD. This call didnt get reviewed by the NFL office. Instead the call was routed to Goodell's house for the final decision. Put this one with the Immaculate reception and the tuck rule.

Comment

It’s time for new leadership to acquire more talented players and install some discipline. The team doesn’t play smart football.
      NYYFANS: See you on the other side!

Comment

Carr completed a 10 yard pass to Jones. He was tackled at the 9 yard line with about 39 seconds remaining in the game. They then hurried up to the line, and Carr wasted a good 5 seconds at the LOS before spiking the ball. Clock read :29 remaining. Why would he spike the ball there? Why not hurry up to the line and see if there's a blown coverage in the end zone and if not, simply throw it away? That was stupid. Also stupid was the insane number of drops by Raider receivers.
        “Nobody teaches life anything.” - Gabriel García Márquez

Comment

Originally posted by ojo View Post
          Carr completed a 10 yard pass to Jones. He was tackled at the 9 yard line with about 39 seconds remaining in the game. They then hurried up to the line, and Carr wasted a good 5 seconds at the LOS before spiking the ball. Clock read :29 remaining. Why would he spike the ball there? Why not hurry up to the line and see if there's a blown coverage in the end zone and if not, simply throw it away? That was stupid. Also stupid was the insane number of drops by Raider receivers.
          And a brain freeze by Peyton Barber.
          https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U3A0sdKrRv4
          "Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose." - Ayrton Senna

Comment

Originally posted by ojo View Post
            Agree 100%. How do they not have 2 plays called there? To run a play there takes an additional 4-5 seconds over a spike-- max. And this is a qb who is so unclutch in the red zone, how can you just throw away a down? Carr is the best qb in the NFL at throwing the ball away out of bounds. It constantly amazes me how often other qbs find a receiver when they have to roll out, but Carr never does. They just did not seem prepared to play. Peyton fing Barber is a special teams player. And Bisacchia is the special teams coordinator. How does that happen?

Comment

Originally posted by I C U Ms Frenchie View Post
              Handed them the game on a silver platter. 3 extra points to the Bengals on the Carr fumble on his own 20. 3 extra points on the idiot kick returner for not positioning himself properly cost LV 38 yards in field position and an ez subsequent drive for a Cincy FG. Ridiculous number of 5 and 10 yard penalties on the offensive line killed 2 TD drives and got FGs instead. One of them would have positioned them for 2nd and goal on the 1. That was 8 points lost. Another 3 points at the end lost when forced to go for it on 4th and goal from the 10. And of course , in keeping with the long tradition of bogus calls in the playoffs against the Raiders, the obligatory failure to enforce the rules as written by the NFL gave Cincy 4 extra points on Cincy's final after the whistle TD. This call didnt get reviewed by the NFL office. Instead the call was routed to Goodell's house for the final decision. Put this one with the Immaculate reception and the tuck rule.
              Raiders killed themselves not the refs. Why did they spike the ball with 35 seconds, there was plenty of time to run 4 plays, why give one away?

as for the Cincinnati TD call yes the Raiders got screwed, Cincy may have scored on the replay down but LV might also have intercepted it and run it back. That said had they overturned that it was Cincy who would have been screwed as the whistle appeared to have no impact on the ply and would have overturned an impressive play from Burrow. They should have overturned it because that’s the rule with inadvertent whistle, but it still would have screwed Cincy, so either way one team was getting screwed on that call/no call.
              Baseball is life;
              the rest is just details.

Comment

Originally posted by Yankee Tripper View Post

Raiders killed themselves not the refs. Why did they spike the ball with 35 seconds, there was plenty of time to run 4 plays, why give one away?

as for the Cincinnati TD call yes the Raiders got screwed, Cincy may have scored on the replay down but LV might also have intercepted it and run it back. That said had they overturned that it was Cincy who would have been screwed as the whistle appeared to have no impact on the ply and would have overturned an impressive play from Burrow. They should have overturned it because that’s the rule with inadvertent whistle, but it still would have screwed Cincy, so either way one team was getting screwed on that call/no call.
                I agree with you 100%. The Raiders beat themselves. They gave them at least 6 extra points. And cost themselves 11-18 points. Plus 4 courtesy of the refs. While the whistle was accidental it occurred in real time in the heat of the moment. That is the reason you have reviews, to correct the mistakes that the refs make. The ruling was not in the heat of the moment and was the wrong call because the rules explicitly say thats a dead ball and should be done over. I have no doubt that Goodell made that call.

Absolutely livid with Peyton Barber. Would have started at the 40. Prolly get at least a FG, maybe more. Instead 3 points the other way. A 6-10 point swing on that kickoff.

And Carr clocking that ball was stupid, esp for a qb who cant complete a pass on rollout to save his life and who has trouble converting in the red zone. And dont forget the effect of 2 wasted timeouts because Carr couldnt get the play off in time. If they have even 1 left, that would have opened up the middle of the field on that last series and spread Cin D much thinner. They could have thrown that 1st down play in the middle short of the goal line early with the timeout. That at least would have forced Cin to defend the run on 4th down. Of course if they hadnt shot themselves in the foot so many times earlier, they wouldnt have even needed a score there.

In a cleanly played game they win easily 30-20, even with the bad whistle call. 30-16 if Cin doesnt get a redo TD. They just werent prepared and were too sloppy.
                Last edited by I C U Ms Frenchie; 01-16-22, 07:54 PM.

Comment

If they plan to keep Carr, then they have to build a top defense to be a legit SB contender. He is better than a caretaker QB, and maybe as good as 10-12th best in league, but he just cant make any plays when he is pressured and forced out of the pocket and rolls right. Off the top of my head, I cant recall a single completion he made in that situation after the Bal win week 1, and I watched every game this year. He just keeps drifting and without fail throws the ball out of bounds. Contrast that with Buf 2nd TD yesterday. Allen extends the play, rolls right and then loops a pass over the CB into the corner for a TD. Or what Burrows did on the whistle TD or what Mahomes does any number of times. Plays like that seem to be totally beyond Carr's ability and I cant figure out why. He has a nice touch on his throws. They must be practicing that play, but he never finds anyone to throw to, so he just throws it away. If they are going to commit to him, then I would welcome an elite defensive HC. Mike Tomlin would be my choice. Maybe Tomlin doesnt want to do a full rebuild with no QB at this stage of his career and would welcome an opportunity to tweak a team that is close. Maybe the Steelers would thank him for his service by letting him go.

There really isnt a viable alternative to Carr. Upgrading to Wilson would require Carr and a #1 and another young player or another high pick. Rodgers would cost even more. They could cash in Carr for picks and go with Mariotta, but he is more of a high end backup and he is too injury prone. So basically theyre stuck with Carr, unless the trade value of Wilson is much less than I think.

Comment

Keep Carr with an improved roster including offensive weapons that can extend field of play, get a better coaching and scouting staffs with a dynamic HC and GM.

Comment

There really is very little chance of Carr being replaced. They have other needs, so they cant spare the draft picks to get Wilson or Rodgers. They need to add a #1WR to replace Ruggs, but I think the problem is Carr. He cant extend plays and he doesnt get it done in the redzone. There isnt a better TE than Waller that's available. Renfro is a playmaker. And Jones and Edwards were both productive as complimentary receivers (>500 yards each). Add a legit #1 receiver and you have an excellent set of skill players who can make plays.

This is what the Raiders need to do after finding a HC:

1. Fix RT. From LT to RG they are OK. Miller and James are top players at LT and C. Leatherwood was not good, but he improved week to week at RG. Its moot because they are stuck with playing him. Hopefully Incognito can come back healthy and reclaim his LG spot. RT play has been awful. Parker wasnt any better than Leatherwood. Thats not something I think they should risk trying to fix through the draft. I want them to sign an experienced veteran RT. Morgan Moses at 6 MM$ guaranteed would be my choice. Also sign Riley Reiff, who can backup both LT and RT for 4.5 MM$ guaranteed.

2. WR. Davante Adams would be too pricey at 23.5 MM$ and would he really leave GB and Rodgers. I imagine Allen Robinson at 16 MM$ would be dying to get out of Chicago and play with a QB who throws for 4000 yards every year.

3. CB. Obviously resign Hayward, but they also need to add here. Charvarious Ward at 7 MM$ would be a terrific get and hurt KC at the same time. As would Darius Williams at 8MM$. Or if you got the dough, JC Jackson at 14MM$. Also use 1st or 2nd draft pick on a CB.

4. DT. Akiem Hicks at 7 MM$. Or Sebastian Joseph at 7 MM$. Also use 1st or 2nd pick on a DT.

5. Use the 3-7 picks on a guard, a RB, another CB, a LB and a SS.

Comment

I'm sorry, but Incognito is done as a player. He can't stay healthy any longer. Leatherwood is another example of their horrible drafting over the last several years. He's got talent, but he's a guard, not a tackle and should have been drafted further back in the draft.

What Davis needs to do is find a GM and a HC. They need to overhaul their scouting department along with their coaching staff.

Comment

Incognito may be done, youre right. But if he passes a physical, what would be the harm of giving him a low cost non-guaranteed contract or a practice squad spot? I believe he signed for 2 mill in 2021. I imagine he would get less this time, and no guarantee. They also have Denzelle Good coming back, and in 2020 he did a very respectable job filling in at RT for Trent Brown and he played guard as well. He could take the LG spot from simpson.

Lets give Leatherwood some time before calling him a bust. I agree, his first year was a big disappointment, but look at Kolton Miller. He struggled mightily his first couple years, but now by his 4th year, hes a top tier LT.

Fixing the Oline is job #1 this offseason, especially considering that you cant expect Carr to make plays when the protection breaks down -- he just doesnt have that ability to extend plays. And he also is prone to the strip sack, as we all saw on Saturday, so that's another imperative to fix the line. The key is the tackles, because they have to handle the edge rushers. The interior matter, but much less so. So left to right, Miller, Good/Incognito, James and Leatherwood would be more than adequate. They need to sign the best veteran RT they can. I dont want to risk drafting one in the 1st round, and having him struggle at such a diffficult position. Morgan Moses is prolly the top RT available, and I think his projected salary would fit with their cap space, given their other needs. And Reiff, who did make the switch from LT to RT would give you prolly the best tackle depth at both sides. You wouldnt lose much if either of the starting tackles went down. They could sign both those guys for about 11 mill guaranteed combined, so that would definitely fit their budget. There are also a slew of LT's available in FA, but they are more pricey and I dont know if any of them or Kolton Miller could switch to RT.

There's been some scuttlebutt about replacing Mayock with John Dorsey, the former KC GM.

The more I think about it, I want a HC who is a defense guru. The offense is in place and all the players are young. Miller is the oldest lineman. The TE, RB and receivers are all young. And Carr is only 30. Before the loss of Ruggs they had the #2 offense rating, and its pretty straightforward what they need to do- sign a RT and a #1 WR. Although the D made great strides this year compared to 2020, the greatest room for improving the team comes on defense. And to get this team to the superbowl with Carr is going to take an elite defense, especially if they have to play in cold weather playoff games.

Comment

Originally posted by I C U Ms Frenchie View Post
                            Incognito may be done, youre right. But if he passes a physical, what would be the harm of giving him a low cost non-guaranteed contract or a practice squad spot? I believe he signed for 2 mill in 2021. I imagine he would get less this time, and no guarantee. They also have Denzelle Good coming back, and in 2020 he did a very respectable job filling in at RT for Trent Brown and he played guard as well. He could take the LG spot from simpson.

Lets give Leatherwood some time before calling him a bust. I agree, his first year was a big disappointment, but look at Kolton Miller. He struggled mightily his first couple years, but now by his 4th year, hes a top tier LT.

Fixing the Oline is job #1 this offseason, especially considering that you cant expect Carr to make plays when the protection breaks down -- he just doesnt have that ability to extend plays. And he also is prone to the strip sack, as we all saw on Saturday, so that's another imperative to fix the line. The key is the tackles, because they have to handle the edge rushers. The interior matter, but much less so. So left to right, Miller, Good/Incognito, James and Leatherwood would be more than adequate. They need to sign the best veteran RT they can. I dont want to risk drafting one in the 1st round, and having him struggle at such a diffficult position. Morgan Moses is prolly the top RT available, and I think his projected salary would fit with their cap space, given their other needs. And Reiff, who did make the switch from LT to RT would give you prolly the best tackle depth at both sides. You wouldnt lose much if either of the starting tackles went down. They could sign both those guys for about 11 mill guaranteed combined, so that would definitely fit their budget. There are also a slew of LT's available in FA, but they are more pricey and I dont know if any of them or Kolton Miller could switch to RT.

There's been some scuttlebutt about replacing Mayock with John Dorsey, the former KC GM.

The more I think about it, I want a HC who is a defense guru. The offense is in place and all the players are young. Miller is the oldest lineman. The TE, RB and receivers are all young. And Carr is only 30. Before the loss of Ruggs they had the #2 offense rating, and its pretty straightforward what they need to do- sign a RT and a #1 WR. Although the D made great strides this year compared to 2020, the greatest room for improving the team comes on defense. And to get this team to the superbowl with Carr is going to take an elite defense, especially if they have to play in cold weather playoff games.
                            I didn't exactly say he was a bust, but that he was rated by most draft experts as a guard that should have been drafted later in draft. So far, they appear to be right! There have been too many cases of such overdrafts from Mayock and Gurden. I don't think Leatherwood is quick enough to handle a tackle position and he has a tendency to hold which isn't good with edge rushers.

Comment

Yes, his immediate future is as a guard. He might never make it as a tackle. But he only has 1 year in. So nothing to do except wait and see.

Comment

Firing Mayock was the right thing to do, now we'll see how Davis rebuilds his management and coaching staffs.

Comment

Working...
                                X