Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I C U Ms Frenchie
    replied
    Very ugly win over the Cowboys, 36-33 in OT. Waller injured his knee and didnt return. Hopefully not serious, as he was seen walking on the sideline and on the stationary bike. The defense played reasonably well despite the box score. Stopped at least 5 drives 3 and out, and 1 of the TDs was on special teams. Offense was very good, but the penalties were a major concern. The deep game returned in a big way with Carr throwing for 375 yards, which included a 56 yard TD catch by Jackson. Renfro had a 30+ and a 40+ yard catch. And Zay Jones had a 20+ yard catch. Would have been more by Carr except Dal was flagged 4 times for DPI on long passes. The running game was also strong with about 140 yards rushing. But the penalties were very concerning. Multiple holds and one very stupid clock management decision that resulted in a false start that nearly cost them the game. Tied at 30 with the clock running at 2:10 and the Raiders with the ball 2nd and 4 in long field goal range, they inexplicably rushed to the line to run a play before the 2 min warning. James gets flageed for a head bob, making it 2nd and 9. They dont convert and take the FG, but hand the ball back with nearly 2 min left. Just dont understand that decision to run a play before the 2 minute warning. If they convert 2nd and 4 after the 2 min warning, they win in regulation 33-30. Next game is in LV vs the Redskins. Obviously a must win game.

Leave a comment:

• I C U Ms Frenchie
    replied
    26 PPG with Ruggs. 14 PPG without Ruggs.

Leave a comment:

• I C U Ms Frenchie
    replied
    So you dont see any extenuating circumstances this year that explain their 5-5 record? Its all roster construction? You've criticized their FA signings. Be specific. Which ones were bad signings. Here's a list of their significant FAs (those expected to be starters or big contributors). Yannick Ngayoue, Casey Hayward, Quinton Jefferson, Gerald McCoy, Incognito, Littleton, Kwiatkoski, Perryman, Mariota, Drake, Hankins, Facyson, Solomon Thomas, Nassib KJ Wright.

Leave a comment:

• Yankees1962
    replied
    Originally posted by I C U Ms Frenchie View Post
    If you wont, or likely cant substantiate your opinion, then I agree, there is no point in engaging you.
    I can substantiate my opinion based on the Raiders record. They have not taken any significant step towards being a better team since Jack Del Rio and Reggie McKenzie were fired.

Leave a comment:

• I C U Ms Frenchie
    replied
    If you wont, or likely cant substantiate your opinion, then I agree, there is no point in engaging you.

Leave a comment:

• Yankees1962
    replied
    If you thought Gruden was competent and deserves credit then I guess there isn't anything else to say here except I vehemently disagree with your opinion.

Leave a comment:

• I C U Ms Frenchie
    replied
    They had a top 10 offense last year (#9 IIRC) and are better this year (#6 prior to the KC game). This while totally retooling the O-line, getting younger and much cheaper. People were criticizing the Oline moves, but apparently Gruden knew what he was doing. How could they even think of replacing the best center in the game, Rodney Hudson, with the young converted tackle, Andre James? Sheer madness. Well it turns out that PFF has ranked James as the best center in the league over the last 3 games. That was a pretty short transition. Prior to the KC game, the last sack of Carr was by Khalil Mack. They criticized the drafting of Leatherwood, but who else was available? Slater went to the Chargers. It was widely reported that Bal was going to take Leatherwood with pick #25, so he wasnt going to be around for the second round. They got Moehrig in the second when he was projected as a first. If they had drafted Moehrig in the first and Leatherwood in the second, no one would say boo.. They got both their guys in 2 of their 3 weakest positions of need ( I wanted Barmore).

And speaking of Moehrig:

Raiders FS Trevon Moehrig has allowed only 21 receiving yards during rookie season (yahoo.com)

Gruden and Bradley did a hell of a good job retooling the defense in 1 offseason. You may recall that they had the #29 defense last year, IIRC and in particular an absolutely atrocious pass defense. This year, through 8 games they had the #10 overall defense and the #2 pass defense. Thats not a misprint. They went from one of the very worst pass defenses to second best. Youve criticized their drafting and their FA signings. Ngouye, a FA signing, is PFF's top pass rusher in the league and FA , Hayward is PFFs top cornerback. You already know about Hobbs, top slot corner rank, and Moehrig. Mullen goes down, and they find Facyon, who has been a revelation. FA, Perriman has been a Godsend and FA, Littleton, has refound himself under Bradley. They have even gotten decent production from their low cost FA signings at DT, this despite losing McCoy for the season in the 1st quarter of the 1st game. At that time, I felt he conceivably could have been their best defensive player. Nick Morrow has yet to even play a down yet and they are so deep that Kwiatkoski cant find playing time.

Gruden was more than competent, and he is going to deserve a lot of credit for what this team eventually achieves. Just a damn shame what happened with Ruggs. I think there are only 3 holdovers from pre-Gruden--Carr, Morrow and Richard.

Leave a comment:

• I C U Ms Frenchie
    replied
    They had a top 10 offense last year (#9 IIRC) and are better this year (#6 prior to the KC game). This while totally retooling the O-line, getting younger and much cheaper. People were criticizing the Oline moves, but apparently Gruden knew what he was doing. How could they even think of replacing the best center in the game, Rodney Hudson, with the young converted tackle, Andre James? Sheer madness. Well it turns out that PFF has ranked James as the best center in the league over the last 3 games. That was a pretty short transition. Prior to the KC game, the last sack of Carr was by Khalil Mack. They criticized the drafting of Leatherwood, but who else was available? Slater went to the Chargers. It was widely reported that Bal was going to take Leatherwood with pick #25, so he wasnt going to be around for the second round. They got Moehrig in the second when he was projected as a first. If they had drafted Moehrig in the first and Leatherwood in the second, no one would say boo.. They got both their guys in 2 of their 3 weakest positions of need ( I wanted Barmore).

And speaking of Moehrig:

Raiders FS Trevon Moehrig has allowed only 21 receiving yards during rookie season (yahoo.com)

Gruden and Bradley did a hell of a good job retooling the defense in 1 offseason. You may recall that they had the #29 defense last year, IIRC and in particular an absolutely atrocious pass defense. This year, through 8 games they had the #10 overall defense and the #2 pass defense. Thats not a misprint. They went from one of the very worst pass defenses to second best. Youve criticized their drafting and their FA signings. Ngouye, a FA signing, is PFF's top pass rusher in the league and FA , Hayward is PFFs top cornerback. You already know about Hobbs, top slot corner rank, and Moehrig. Mullen goes down, and they find Facyon, who has been a revelation. FA, Perriman has been a Godsend and FA, Littleton, has refound himself under Bradley. They have even gotten decent production from their low cost FA signings at DT, this despite losing McCoy for the season in the 1st quarter of the 1st game. At that time, I felt he conceivably could have been their best defensive player. Nick Morrow has yet to even play a down yet and they are so deep that Kwiatkoski cant find playing time.

Gruden was more than competent, and he is going to deserve a lot of credit for what this team eventually achieves. Just a damn shame what happened with Ruggs. I think there are only 3 holdovers from pre-Gruden--Carr, Morrow and Richard.

Leave a comment:

• Yankees1962
    replied
    Frankly, I don't have high expectations for this team because I think Mark Davis is a bad owner and will continue to make bad hires. I hope I'm wrong, but it's been a long time since the Raiders were competently run as a football operation.

Leave a comment:

• I C U Ms Frenchie
    replied
    Loss of Ruggs is taking its toll. He was their leading receiver. Goats this week were Crosby and Jackson. Down 10 to start the 2nd half Carr mounted an impressive TD drive to make it 17-14. On KC's 1st play the RB was swarmed and stacked up in the backfield for a 5 yard loss, except Crosby wanted to show how tough he was by slamming the RB to the ground well after the whistle blew, resulting in a critical personal foul. So instead of 2nd and 15 on the 20, its 1st and 10 on the 40. But crosby wasnt finished. Eventually KC faced a 3rd and goal from the 10, when Crosby jumps offside to move them to the 5. They make a 4 yard gain on 3rd down and score on 4th down. Instead of a stopped drive deep in their own end and instead of a FG, Crosby gave them a gift TD to make io a 10 point game again. Carr moves them again with several big chunk plays. The last one, a 40 yard completion to Jackson to give them a 1st and goal, but he fumbles after the catch, and its returned 40 yards. Game was over at that point.

Dont know what to expect moving forward. A ;lot of top teams have lost games they had no business losing..Bal to Miami, Buf to Jax, Ten to NYJ, The Raiders have a sound team. Going into this game they were the league's #6 offense and #10 defense. Thats good enough for a playoff run. Thats good enough to win the division.

Leave a comment:

• I C U Ms Frenchie
    replied
    Loss of Ruggs is taking its toll. He was their leading receiver. Goats this week were Crosby and Jackson. Down 10 to start the 2nd half Carr mounted an impressive TD drive to make it 17-14. On KC's 1st play the RB was swarmed and stacked up in the backfield for a 5 yard loss, except Crosby wanted to show how tough he was by slamming the RB to the ground well after the whistle blew, resulting in a critical personal foul. So instead of 2nd and 15 on the 20, its 1st and 10 on the 40. But crosby wasnt finished. Eventually KC faced a 3rd and goal from the 10, when Crosby jumps offside to move them to the 5. They make a 4 yard gain on 3rd down and score on 4th down. Instead of a stopped drive deep in their own end and instead of a FG, Crosby gave them a gift TD to make io a 10 point game again. Carr moves them again with several big chunk plays. The last one, a 40 yard completion to Jackson to give them a 1st and goal, but he fumbles after the catch, and its returned 40 yards. Game was over at that point.

Dont know what to expect moving forward. A ;lot of top teams have lost games they had no business losing..Bal to Miami, Buf to Jax, Ten to NYJ, The Raiders have a sound team. Going into this game they were the league's #6 offense and #10 defense. Thats good enough for a playoff run. Thats good enough to win the division.

Leave a comment:

• Yankees1962
    replied
    It looks like this team will finish below .500 again this season. They look like toast with so many distractions, injuries and a suspect roster.

Leave a comment:

• Yankees1962
    replied
    Damon Arnette was cut today by the Raiders. Man, those first round picks busts are setting back the team.

Leave a comment:

• Yankees1962
    replied
    [QUOTE=I C U Ms Frenchie;n12477040]How pathetic to lose to that team. What a gutless performance by Carr when they needed him after the events of last week. 2 ints including a pick six. A gutless scramble inside NYs 15 sliding 1 yard short of a first down, when he could have cut left for a fisrt down. Overthrowing receivers all day, including Waller in the end zone. And then a fumble with 30 secs left as theyre going in for the tying score. A missed chip shot FG didnt help matters. Defense played well again. Even on NY offenses only TD, Abram was in position to swat it down, but whiffed. Bottom line was this was a must win game and they needed Carr to step up, but he was nowhere to be found.[/QUOTE
    Wow! I have to agree with you that Carr let the team down by playing lousy on Sunday. Also, another of their vaulted first round picks Damon Arnette is in trouble and will most likely end up being another first round pick bust.

Davis needs to clean house and start all over.
    Last edited by Yankees1962; 11-08-21, 10:40 AM.

Leave a comment:

• I C U Ms Frenchie
    replied
    How pathetic to lose to that team. What a gutless performance by Carr when they needed him after the events of last week. 2 ints including a pick six. A gutless scramble inside NYs 15 sliding 1 yard short of a first down, when he could have cut left for a fisrt down. Overthrowing receivers all day, including Waller in the end zone. And then a fumble with 30 secs left as theyre going in for the tying score. A missed chip shot FG didnt help matters. Defense played well again. Even on NY offenses only TD, Abram was in position to swat it down, but whiffed. Bottom line was this was a must win game and they needed Carr to step up, but he was nowhere to be found.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X