"The Towers Of Light"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"The Towers Of Light"

As I was driving home to NJ from Long Island last night, they must have been testing the towers of light memorial down by the wtc. It was around 11:45 - 12:00, and they were shining brightly and beautifully.

I was skeptical of the idea at first when I heard it last fall, but after seeing them, I love it. I found myslef trying to see if I could see them from wherever I was, just like I used to do with the twin towers ever since I was a little boy. I almost got into several accididents on the Jersey Turnpike as I couldn't bring myself to stop looking at them.

Later when I got home, I was able to see them from my street while out walking my dog. I'm sure tonight I'll be checking which windows of my apartment have an unobstructed view of the lights as well.

For those of you who didn't get to see it last night, be sure to watch tonight as they get lit. It is such an appropriate and fitting memorial to a place that lies in the hearts of all those who live here. I was lucky in the fact that all I lost in the attack was being able to look at the buildings that I loved to look at - so for me this memorial is very comforting. I realize that those who lost more may not take as much comfort in it as I did, but I certainly hope it provides some.

I'll be watching tonight at 6:30 - will you?

-jim

PS: They're going to air it on FOX 5 - I don't know about the other locals.
    "The only thing I know about baseball is that whatever the manager does is wrong" - Moe

I wouldn't miss it! When I'm downstate around Easter, where is a good viewing location in NJ? Would love to see it in person.
    Nancy

Be kind. Every person you meet is fighting a hard battle.

Comment

Anywhere along the river in Hoboken or Jersey City (esp. the latter) will give you exceptional views of the memorial. It can be seen for a distance, so I am sure there are many other locations around the NYC area that will provide a great view of it.

If I'm not on B-B at night at all this month, it's because I'll be standing somewhere, staring towards lower manhattan.

-jim
      "The only thing I know about baseball is that whatever the manager does is wrong" - Moe

Comment

Glad to here you made it home safe and sound Jim....

I think its a terriffic idea that they do the tower in lights..... im sure it is a magnificant job... Unfortunatley i can't watch the ceremony because i have to work.....but im sure they will have it on the local news or national news when i get home......

Dabsy
        Today's Game Has been brought to you today By The letters "M", "V", and "P" and by the numbers 11, or 14...

Carrying on the legacy of Centerfield.

Comment

Jim, it sounds like an incredibly beautiful sight! I'll look forward to seeing it when I'm in the NYC area!

Comment

I plan to go see them tonight, Jim. After dinner, I'm packing the kids in the car and driving to a particular section of our town (a hill that offers a stunning view of the cityscape) in order to see them. This hill was a gathering place for many residents here on 9/11, so I'm sure I'll have lots of company there tonight as well.

Comment

Originally posted by LaDeeDa
              I plan to go see them tonight, Jim. After dinner, I'm packing the kids in the car and driving to a particular section of our town (a hill that offers a stunning view of the cityscape) in order to see them. This hill was a gathering place for many residents here on 9/11, so I'm sure I'll have lots of company there tonight as well.
              There's a place just like that in Lyndhurst near where I live - I'll probably be there tonight to watch it.

-jim

Comment

i wish the regular towers were still there...
                "Personally, I don't understand what the big deal is. I cut off my p**** and feed it to spirits all the time. So what?"
                ~Patrick O.

Comment

I'm definitely going to be watching tonight.

Comment

I must have been out of it for the past few days because I hadn't heard of the towers of light until this morning, but they sound beautiful and I'm anxiously awaiting to see them.

Comment

I'll be down at St. George with my Nikon....

Comment

Originally posted by # 21 Forever
                        Jim, it sounds like an incredibly beautiful sight! I'll look forward to seeing it when I'm in the NYC area!
                        Gonna be in town before mid-April?

Comment

I'll be watching it on TV, if I have the time. Yes, surprisingly being in middle PA, we still have Fox5.
                          Harry the K's Legends: 2009 Champs, 2010 Ruth Division Champions

R.I.P Harry Kalas...Say hi to whitey for me

Comment

From my boyfriend's house we used to be able to see the WTC in the distance, like it was standing in between both sides of the street... it will be nice to see something in that big empty space........

Comment

Originally posted by PinstripePride

Gonna be in town before mid-April?
                              Actually, I might be!

Comment

Working...
                              X