Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Interesting Baseball News Items That Do Not Warrant Their Own Thread

This is so great.

A little more than three months ago, Cleveland pitcher Carlos Carrasco revealed some breathtaking artistic skill in the dugout as he transformed an ordinary baseball into a remarkable sculpture of José Ramírez. (With the help of some of his rotation mates, of course.)
    http://deadspin.com/carlos-carrasco-...-of-1818526621

Comment

Every team plays today, and Houston in the only team in the Central time zone who is at home. I wonder when they last time every team played with no more than one game in the Central time zone.

Comment

http://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/mlb/...GX5?li=BBnba9I

Comment

Interesting look on the wildcard game if baseball would consider improving the one game playoff.

Obviously we know the flaws:
          But the new format isn’t without its flaws, the most prominent of which, in the opinion of this author, is this: the No. 1 Wild Card can be a significantly better team than the No. 2 Wild Card but is nevertheless subject to playing in something of a coin-flip game after the grind of a 162-game season. It can be pretty unfair to have, say, a 98-win team lose to an 86-win team in a one-game playoff.
          But a solution.....
          The solution already exists in the real world, in practice, in the Korea Baseball Organization. In South Korea, the Wild Card round is a best-of-two affair. The lower seed, the road team in both potential games, must beat the No. 1 seed twice. The top seed must win just once to advance.

This is a rather elegant and simple solution to the problem.

While a best-of-three series reduces the chance of an upset by just a few percentage points, from 46.0% to 44.0%, the KBO format reduces the percentage chance of an upset from 46.0% to 21.1%.
          http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/lets-...ld-card-round/

Comment

Originally posted by Hitman23 View Post
            Interesting look on the wildcard game if baseball would consider improving the one game playoff.

Obviously we know the flaws:

But a solution.....

This is ridiculous, especially when you consider that it's far more likely that the WC teams records would be separated by 2-3 wins than by ................ing 12. I'm okay with this coin flip for now (insofar as it makes for exciting baseball, not because I think it's fair at all), but I would strongly prefer a 2/3 if there were any logical and fair way to implement that which, unfortunately, I do not see at the moment. A 92 win team having to beat a 93 win team twice (while the 93 win team only has to win once) is more unfair than a 98 win team being forced to play a single game against an 86 win club.

The reality is there isn't a perfect solution, and every option has the potential to be brutally unfair to somebody. The current solution probably creates the most discussion among sport fans, however, and undoubtedly creates the most exciting on-field product.

Comment

I think that's a dumb idea.
              Though back when there was 1 wild card I thought the team with the division winner with the best record should get a 2-1-2 format v the Wild Card in the best of 5.
              Baseball is life;
              the rest is just details.

Comment

Originally posted by Bronson'sCornrows View Post
                This is ridiculous, especially when you consider that it's far more likely that the WC teams records would be separated by 2-3 wins than by ................ing 12. I'm okay with this coin flip for now (insofar as it makes for exciting baseball, not because I think it's fair at all), but I would strongly prefer a 2/3 if there were any logical and fair way to implement that which, unfortunately, I do not see at the moment. A 92 win team having to beat a 93 win team twice (while the 93 win team only has to win once) is more unfair than a 98 win team being forced to play a single game against an 86 win club.

The reality is there isn't a perfect solution, and every option has the potential to be brutally unfair to somebody. The current solution probably creates the most discussion among sport fans, however, and undoubtedly creates the most exciting on-field product.
                All good points. My thing is I hate the one game. The playoff races and playoffs make the sport so much more exciting (and richer) for way longer, and for way more people. I would be with you on the 2 out of 3. A coin flip game is kind of the enemy of the purpose of a very long and tedious baseball season.

I just thought the system currently in place in Korea was interesting. Even if it's not the best idea it seems way more clever than the MLB leadership now could ever come up with.

Comment

All good points. My thing is I hate the one game. The playoff races and playoffs make the sport so much more exciting (and richer) for way longer, and for way more people. I would be with you on the 2 out of 3. A coin flip game is kind of the enemy of the purpose of a very long and tedious baseball season.

I just thought the system currently in place in Korea was interesting. Even if it's not the best idea it seems way more clever than the MLB leadership now could ever come up with.
                  Seems like a gimmick.

I think part of the idea behind 1 game instead of best of 3 was so that division winners didn't need to be off for nearly a week before their series starts.

Last year the WC team were separated by 0 games in the AL and 0 games in the NL

2015 the separation was 1 game in both leagues and the NL wild card teams had more wins than ANY division winner in all of baseball, except the team that finished first in their division.

2014 separation was 1 game AL, 0 games NL

2013 was 0.5 games AL, 4 games NL

2012 was 0 games AL, 6 games NL
                  Baseball is life;
                  the rest is just details.

Comment

I would be with you on the 2 out of 3.
                    Originally posted by Yankee Tripper View Post
                    I think part of the idea behind 1 game instead of best of 3 was so that division winners didn't need to be off for nearly a week before their series starts.
                    Crazy idea- double header. Season ends, WC teams play a doubleheader the next day, both games at the team with the better record (or tiebreaker). If either team wins, they earn the next day off (meaning all division winners get TWO days off between the season's end and the first playoff game). If they end the doubleheader with a win apiece, they forfeit the day off in favor of playing a tiebreaker next day at the park of the team with the lesser record.

In effect, this makes a best of three, and only leaves two off days for the division winners so nobody has to get rusty. It still seems a bit harsh for the WC teams, but is probably more fair to the better team (if one is significantly better), and still makes for exciting baseball, albeit less exciting than "your whole season boils down to this one game".

Probably a bad idea, but I'm throwing it out there.

Comment

Originally posted by Bronson'sCornrows View Post
                      Crazy idea- double header. Season ends, WC teams play a doubleheader the next day, both games at the team with the better record (or tiebreaker). If either team wins, they earn the next day off (meaning all division winners get TWO days off between the season's end and the first playoff game). If they end the doubleheader with a win apiece, they forfeit the day off in favor of playing a tiebreaker next day at the park of the team with the lesser record.

In effect, this makes a best of three, and only leaves two off days for the division winners so nobody has to get rusty. It still seems a bit harsh for the WC teams, but is probably more fair to the better team (if one is significantly better), and still makes for exciting baseball, albeit less exciting than "your whole season boils down to this one game".

Probably a bad idea, but I'm throwing it out there.
                      Not such a crazy idea. If you read that fangraphs article I posted in it's entirety it is actually brought up. Same as you suggest.

In fact, pat yourself on the back because Theo Epstein suggested it. And if you're thinking on his level, kudos!

Cubs president Theo Epstein told the Chicago Tribune back in 2015 that he had proposed a best-of-three format which included a doubleheader to reduce the days involved.

Comment

Just go back to one wild-card team. Problem solved.
                        Russian warship, go **** yourself

Comment

Originally posted by JL25and3 View Post
                          Just go back to one wild-card team. Problem solved.
                          It's not necessarily a huge problem. The excitement the game creates is pretty cool, leading up to and actually having it. (except when we got humiliated by Houston)

It was just something to toss around and discuss. Always good to look for improvements.

Comment

It's not necessarily a huge problem. The excitement the game creates is pretty cool, leading up to and actually having it. (except when we got humiliated by Houston)

It was just something to toss around and discuss. Always good to look for improvements.
                            I don't think the second wild card was an improvement.

Comment

Originally posted by JL25and3 View Post
                              I don't think the second wild card was an improvement.
                              With the amount of teams we have and the realignment of divisions and such, I don't think it's a bad idea.

When it was two divisions in each league it made sense for the time.

Comment

With the amount of teams we have and the realignment of divisions and such, I don't think it's a bad idea.

When it was two divisions in each league it made sense for the time.
                                Three divisions and a wild card took some getting used to, but I don't mind it much anymore, even if it has killed the real pennant race. (Some would say that splitting the eagles into two divisions killed the real pennant race, but 10-team leagues were untenable.)

But I still dont like the second wild card at all.

Comment

Working...
                                X