Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Interesting Baseball News Items That Do Not Warrant Their Own Thread

Originally posted by Mr. Mxylsplk View Post
    There's no particular reason he has to play a full inning at each position. It'd be easy enough to move him mid-inning if they're losing in the 8th.
    They don't care about winning this game. The other players who have achieved this feat only switched positions before the inning began.
    http://vimel.ru/e6748

Comment

This thing with Andrew Romine is so stupid. It's been done before. What's the point? Are they expecting this to draw more fans?

Comment

Originally posted by Donnybaseball72 View Post
        They don't care about winning this game. The other players who have achieved this feat only switched positions before the inning began.
        So that's not actually true, but I don't know what wanting to win or the timing of past players' position switches has to do with anything.

Comment

Originally posted by ace View Post
          This thing with Andrew Romine is so stupid. It's been done before. What's the point? Are they expecting this to draw more fans?
          It's a fun novelty in an otherwise disappointing season for the Tigers that saw them sell off assets in full rebuild.

I'm not sure why there would be any negativity surrounding such a publicity stunt in a meaningless end of season game for both teams.
          Baseball is life;
          the rest is just details.

Comment

Originally posted by Yankee Tripper View Post
            It's a fun novelty in an otherwise disappointing season for the Tigers that saw them sell off assets in full rebuild.

I'm not sure why there would be any negativity surrounding such a publicity stunt in a meaningless end of season game for both teams.
            It just doesn't do anything for me. Like Will Ferrell and Billy Crystal playing in spring training games.

Comment

It just doesn't do anything for me. Like Will Ferrell and Billy Crystal playing in spring training games.
              If they really wanted to do something cool they should have 9 guys play 9 positions. Set up a rotation protocol like in volleyball, everyone moves for every inning.
              I hid in the clouded wrath of the crowd, when they said "sit down" I stood up.

Comment

Originally posted by HelloNewman View Post
                If they really wanted to do something cool they should have 9 guys play 9 positions. Set up a rotation protocol like in volleyball, everyone moves for every inning.
                If only to see Miggy play CF.

Comment

Yeah I get that I'm sure a lot of people feel the same way.

For me I just think it's a cool little novelty but since it's been done already it's not something I feel I need to see.

Just doesn't seem to be something that raises to the level of objecting to it either. To each his own I suppose.
                  Baseball is life;
                  the rest is just details.

Comment

In the last ten complete seasons, only five teams have had a run differential of +200 or better, with no seasons having more than one team do that. Cleveland (+244), Houston (+197), the Yankees (+194), and Dodgers (+193) could have two to four teams do that. In 2012, the Yankees led with a +129 run differential. Now six teams have a better run differential than that at +143 or higher.

Detroit, who has the worst record in the AL, has the fewest extra inning wins in MLB with 1. San Francisco, who has the worst record in the NL, has the most extra inning wins in the NL with 12. They have more extra inning wins than the Dodgers and likely second wild card Rockies combined. They have a better winning percentage in 1 run games than 13 teams, including both AL wild cards (unless we win the AL East). In 2014, Arizona had the worst record in the NL and was tied for the most extra inning wins in the NL with 10.
                    Last edited by EvanJ; 09-29-17, 01:46 PM.

Comment

Green is 5-0 and Robertson is 5-0 with the Yankees. If neither of them loses again, 2017 will be the first year that two teams had teammates with at least 5 wins and 0 losses. The Dodgers have Josh Fields, Kenley Jansen, and Brandon Morrow at 5-0. If none of them lose, they will become the first group of three teammates with at least 5 wins and 0 losses. Before 2017, there were only five teams to have teammates do that.

Comment

Originally posted by EvanJ View Post
                        Green is 5-0 and Robertson is 5-0 with the Yankees. If neither of them loses again, 2017 will be the first year that two teams had teammates with at least 5 wins and 0 losses. The Dodgers have Josh Fields, Kenley Jansen, and Brandon Morrow at 5-0. If none of them lose, they will become the first group of three teammates with at least 5 wins and 0 losses. Before 2017, there were only five teams to have teammates do that.
                        This lands them in a 5-way tie for most wins by an undefeated Yankee pitcher since Aaron Small's famous 10-0 run in 2005.

Other undefeated Yankee five-game winners in that time frame:

Brian Bruney (2009)
                        Dellin Betances (2014)
                        Justin Wilson (2015)
                        I hid in the clouded wrath of the crowd, when they said "sit down" I stood up.

Comment

Very likely thread-worthy, but here it goes:

Willie Mays is being honored by MLB and NYC:

The World Series MVP Award is now named after Willie Mays, so let's remember 'The Catch'
                          http://m.mlb.com/cutfour/2017/09/29/...mber-the-catch

Street Near Former Polo Grounds Site Renamed ‘Willie Mays....Drive’
                          http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2017/09/...ie-mays-drive/
                          Dr King (1929-68): Make the Dream a Reality.
                          RIP, Nelson Mandela, Jackie #42 & Rosa Parks; Ali: Get up…get up; Aretha Franklin; Isaac Hayes; Stevie Wonder: Isn't She Lovely?; Dr J; Smokin' Joe

Comment

Congrats to Cubs pitcher Jen-Ho Tseng on his 1st MLB win yesterday! Leonys Martin made a great catch of a potential game-tying HR in the bottom of the 11th in the Cubs win over the Cardinals, 2-1.

Comment

Originally posted by HelloNewman View Post
                              This lands them in a 5-way tie for most wins by an undefeated Yankee pitcher since Aaron Small's famous 10-0 run in 2005.

Other undefeated Yankee five-game winners in that time frame:

Brian Bruney (2009)
                              Dellin Betances (2014)
                              Justin Wilson (2015)
                              I'm skimming through this thread, and somehow my eye registered the first guy on that list as "Bugs Bunny." Who was probably an undefeated fiive-game winner sometime or other, but I'm quite sure he never played for the Yankees.

Though wait ... maybe I was misinformed ...

Comment

Originally posted by -tz View Post
                                I'm skimming through this thread, and somehow my eye registered the first guy on that list as "Bugs Bunny." Who was probably an undefeated fiive-game winner sometime or other, but I'm quite sure he never played for the Yankees.

Though wait ... maybe I was misinformed ...

Bugs Bunny, the hair-brained hare if ever there was one, already has the MLB record:

Striking out the side with a single pitch.

With three batters lined up one behind the other, each did the swing-and-a-miss, both left-handed AND right-handed. The call went:

One, two, three strikes, yer out. Repeat twice.

Nobody in the history of mankind, not even womankind, has ever nor WILL EVER duplicate that feat.
                                Dr King (1929-68): Make the Dream a Reality.
                                RIP, Nelson Mandela, Jackie #42 & Rosa Parks; Ali: Get up…get up; Aretha Franklin; Isaac Hayes; Stevie Wonder: Isn't She Lovely?; Dr J; Smokin' Joe

Comment

Working...
                                X