Interesting Baseball News Items That Do Not Warrant Their Own Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by hardrain View Post

right....my mistake....yes....but the point still stands...yanks should do this for their fans.
    It will depend on who the rain out is against. Most teams you will get the straight DH. But if that rain out is against Boston or the Mets you will get a separate admission DH.

Comment

At https://www.espn.com/mlb/features/cyyoung Boston closer Matt Barnes leads the AL with 113.9. He's on pace for 36 saves, which normally isn't enough to get Cy Young consideration. His 2.30 ERA and 85.2 save percentage are also not what you expect from a Cy Young candidate. Three weeks ago Jayson Stark did his midseason awards, and his AL Cy Young ballot had five starters. The Cy Young Predictor has four closers in the AL's top five, with the other being the White Sox's Liam Hendriks, the Angels' Raisel Iglesias, and the Astros' Ryan Pressly. Hendriks (40), Pressly (18), and Barnes (15) didn't have many career saves before this year, while Iglesias had 106. The Cy Young Predictor goes back to 2002, and if you could find the values at this point in every year, it would be hard for a league's top five to be as far off from what the voting would be as of that point as it is now.

Comment

Worth looking into???? I know we have drafted injured players in the past that haven't worked and I am not fond of our medical staff but I would look into Rocker. (elbow) I would not agree to pay him what the Mets had to (and I think this opt out was justified, maybe 2M to start, TJS ?). I know it is serious and Scott Boris is his agent. I think he had 19 K against Duke and can we sign him to a minor league contract and wait a year. Rocker is probably going to be picked up by another team as a flyer.

Comment

Originally posted by bucky View Post
          Worth looking into???? I know we have drafted injured players in the past that haven't worked and I am not fond of our medical staff but I would look into Rocker. (elbow) I would not agree to pay him what the Mets had to (and I think this opt out was justified, maybe 2M to start, TJS ?). I know it is serious and Scott Boris is his agent. I think he had 19 K against Duke and can we sign him to a minor league contract and wait a year. Rocker is probably going to be picked up by another team as a flyer.
          Rocker can’t sign with any MLB team and is draft eligible again next year. He’s not a free agent.
          Baseball is life;
          the rest is just details.

Comment

Originally posted by Yankee Tripper View Post

Rocker can’t sign with any MLB team and is draft eligible again next year. He’s not a free agent.
            Thanks I think the Mets did the right thing not knowing the extent of the injury and they will get a another pick for him But I was wondering if this was an opportunity for us. I am sure more will come out later. I read his velocity dropped and that is a big red sign. If needed it may be a good time for Rocker to have the TJS. I am still upset with not picking the LHP who went in the next selection and going with player who jumped because of something they liked. (no even a consideration)

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/...sis-highlights

Comment

50 pitchers have at least 1 inning per the MLB mean of games played per team. I'm not checking each team's games played to compare players to that, but about 50 pitchers have enough innings to qualify. That's down 32.4 percent from when 74 pitchers qualified five years ago, and down 45.7 percent from when 92 pitchers qualified ten years ago. 92-50 = 42 and 42/30 = 1.4, so the average team has 1.4 fewer qualified pitchers than ten years ago.

Comment

George Springer just rolled an ankle something fierce but was able to walk off.
                Baseball is life;

Comment

https://www.mlb.com/bluejays/news/bl...d-roster-moves says Springer's X-rays were negative.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/features/cyyoung has the Cy Young Predictor. Two of the top three in the AL are closers. Despire consecutive horrible games against the Yankees, the White Sox's Liam Hendriks leads with 128.6, and the Angels' Raisel Iglesias is third with 114.8. Hendriks has a 3.42 ERA and is on pace for 36 saves. Iglesias has a 3.04 ERA and is on pace for 34 saves. The Cy Young Predictor started in 2002, and the only reliever with an ERA over 3.00 in that time to get any Cy Young votes was John Smoltz in 2002, when he had a 3.25 ERA and 55 saves, which is over 50 percent above Hendriks' and Iglesias' pace. Smoltz finished third, and Randy Johnson won unanimously. I'd say that Hendriks and Iglesias are more likely not to finish in the top five than to win Cy Young. No matter what formula you make, sometimes it will be way off from how people vote. The reason Hendriks and Iglesias are so high is that they have 7 wins. Wins are worth 6 and saves are worth 2.5, so 7 wins are worth 16.8 saves. Earned runs are -1, losses are -2, and there isn't a deduction for blown saves. That means that a pitcher with a three run lead will go up more by allowing 3 earned runs to blow the save and then get the win than if he didn't allow any earned runs.

Comment

Chris Bassit took a nasty line drive to the head. Hope he’s OK.
                    Baseball is life;

Comment

Orioles now with an 18-game losing streak....they are nearing their record 21 game losing streak that started their season in 1988. They take on the Angels next for three games.
                      "Jerry, It's Frank Costanza. Mr. Steinbrenner is here. George is dead. Call me back."

Comment

These uniforms that the Angels and Indians are wearing tonight are the worst I've ever seen....worse than the All Star game.
                        "Jerry, It's Frank Costanza. Mr. Steinbrenner is here. George is dead. Call me back."

Comment

Pajama Larry fired as pitching coach in San Diego.
                          Might be time for him to retire.
                          "Glory is fleeting, but obscurity is forever." - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

Comment

Originally posted by hardrain View Post
                            These uniforms that the Angels and Indians are wearing tonight are the worst I've ever seen....worse than the All Star game.
                            The Dodger's uniforms were also ridiculous. They have iconic uniforms, there is no need to wear softball uniforms. Yeah, well we know the reason - $$$.
                            You wanna know what? You gotta problem with Luis Cessa, you gotta problem with me. And I suggest you let that one marinate

Comment

Originally posted by Zimmer's Helmet View Post
                              Pajama Larry fired as pitching coach in San Diego.
                              Might be time for him to retire.
                              When a team full of playoff aspirations axes you heading into the back stretch of the season (when they are one game out of the Wild Card)...

Ouch.
                              “Nobody teaches life anything.” - Gabriel García Márquez

Comment

Originally posted by ojo View Post

When a team full of playoff aspirations axes you heading into the back stretch of the season (when they are one game out of the Wild Card)...

Ouch.
                                It was a good move. I actually like Larry when we first hired him and think he was better but now it's time to retire. (ERA) They were ranked #10 (good) but in August dropped to #22. On the GREAT NOTE we are #2 behind LAD for the month of August. I believe this team turnaround started with our pitching (Blake). It will be interesting tonight....

Comment

Working...
                                X