Interesting Baseball News Items That Do Not Warrant Their Own Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bucky View Post

It was a good move. I actually like Larry when we first hired him and think he was better but now it's time to retire. (ERA) They were ranked #10 (good) but in August dropped to #22. On the GREAT NOTE we are #2 behind LAD for the month of August. I believe this team turnaround started with our pitching (Blake). It will be interesting tonight....
    I’m not motivated to look this up, but what type of intelligence gathering must’ve occurred for a team in the midst of a playoff chase to fire its pitching coach?
    “Nobody teaches life anything.” - Gabriel García Márquez

Comment

Originally posted by ojo View Post

I’m not motivated to look this up, but what type of intelligence gathering must’ve occurred for a team in the midst of a playoff chase to fire its pitching coach?
      I am sure there was a lot of evaluation to do this. fine. A Change. I am big on pitching and feel this is #1 for us. Pads they were 3.5 G ahead for WC August 1st and now they are 1 game behind. They made the change to improve the pitching, not the manager. I don't know if they made trades but I can understand this. SF and LAD is tough so 1 WC.

Comment

Originally posted by bucky View Post

I am sure there was a lot of evaluation to do this. fine. A Change. I am big on pitching and feel this is #1 for us. Pads they were 3.5 G ahead for WC August 1st and now they are 1 game behind. They made the change to improve the pitching, not the manager. I don't know if they made trades but I can understand this. SF and LAD is tough so 1 WC.
        The Legend of Sonny Gray likely has some legs to it, too.
        “Nobody teaches life anything.” - Gabriel García Márquez

Comment

Originally posted by ojo View Post

The Legend of Sonny Gray likely has some legs to it, too.
          Good/Probably. I followed Sonny and his %/vel FB (and then the trade to Reds). It was/is a lesson in baseball on what not to do. I always say what goes around come around. Kaprelian. I saw a ESPN spot on his Mom. I was born a Yankee Fan but I hope he doesn't take the L.

Comment

I always enjoyed Camden Yards (taking the bus) and the fans.. Glad it's over.

https://www.mlb.com/news/orioles-bus...in-over-angels

Comment

The Dodgers won at the Padres in 16 innings after neither team scored in the ninth through the fourteenth. Shane Greene, who entered with an ERA over 9.00, got the save. I wish there was a way of finding out how many pitchers entered with ERAs over 9.00 and got a save in the sixteenth or later.

Comment

Originally posted by EvanJ View Post
                The Dodgers won at the Padres in 16 innings after neither team scored in the ninth through the fourteenth. Shane Greene, who entered with an ERA over 9.00, got the save. I wish there was a way of finding out how many pitchers entered with ERAs over 9.00 and got a save in the sixteenth or later.
                Probably none. A record for Shane Greene. If you can't do it I know I can't. Only in 1922 Carl Holling Det RP got 1 save with ERA 15.42 but no box or games (I only did the high ERA and GS) and he was the first GS. Looks like he got hurt in 1922 because was good in 1921.

https://www.fangraphs.com/players/ca...ats?position=P

Comment

https://www.baseball-reference.com/p...ollica01.shtml says he had a 15.43 ERA in 1922 and didn't get any saves, and the Fangraphs you linked to doesn't have him with any saves then. There is a discrepancy in 1921 where Fangraphs says he had 4 saves, and Baseball-Reference says 5.

I realized that I can do it using the Stathead Play Index. Searches can be narrowed to extra inning games, but not an inputted length, so I had to go through all extra inning games with saves, find ones that went at least 16 innings, and open the pitcher's game log for that season to find his ERA going into that game. The results link to the box scores, but that didn't help because I care about ERAs before the game. The last time it happened was on April 12, 1980 when Burt Hooten entered with a 13.50 ERA from allowing 3 earned runs in 2 innings of his first game of the season, and he got a save in Los Angeles's 6-5 win at Houston in 17 innings.

There's a very close race for the batting titles. The NL leader is Trea Turner, who was traded from the Nationals to the Dodgers. He is at .31957, and he has a miniscule lead over Cincinnati's Nick Castellanos, who is at .31951. Yuli Gurriel leads the AL at .3162, and has a miniscule lead over teammate Michael Brantley's .3160. In addition, Oakland's Starling Marte is at .322 and has almost enough plate appearances to qualify. Since he came from Miami, he won't have enough plate appearances to qualify in either league, so he could lead MLB in batting average without leading either league. People who go to Baseball-Reference's yearly leaders page that has the AL and NL leader in a statistic may assume that whoever had the better value was the MLB leader, but that is not guaranteed to be true because players change leagues.

The Cy Young Predictor at https://www.espn.com/mlb/features/cyyoung also has something very close. White Sox closer Liam Hendriks leads MLB at 144.74, and Dodgers ace Walker Buehler leads the NL at 144.72. There is a 12 point victory bonus for being on a first place team, which Hendriks has and Buehler doesn't. When calculating the pace of a player with a victory bonus, you have to subtract the bonus, divide by his team's amount of games, multiply by 162, and add the bonus. You have to do that because if you just divided by his team's amount of games and multiplied by 162, it would be projecting the victory bonus to increase. Hendriks is on pace for 178.7, and Buehler is on pace to lead MLB with 183.2. Furthermore, since not all teams have played the same amount of games, even if the top two both have or both do not have the victory bonus, the leader may not be on pace to finish first if the gap is small and his team has played more games.

Comment

https://www.baseball-reference.com/p...ollica01.shtml says he had a 15.43 ERA in 1922 and didn't get any saves, and the Fangraphs you linked to doesn't have him with any saves then. There is a discrepancy in 1921 where Fangraphs says he had 4 saves, and Baseball-Reference says 5.

I realized that I can do it using the Stathead Play Index. Searches can be narrowed to extra inning games, but not an inputted length, so I had to go through all extra inning games with saves, find ones that went at least 16 innings, and open the pitcher's game log for that season to find his ERA going into that game. The results link to the box scores, but that didn't help because I care about ERAs before the game. The last time it happened was on April 12, 1980 when Burt Hooten entered with a 13.50 ERA from allowing 3 earned runs in 2 innings of his first game of the season, and he got a save in Los Angeles's 6-5 win at Houston in 17 innings.

There's a very close race for the batting titles. The NL leader is Trea Turner, who was traded from the Nationals to the Dodgers. He is at .31957, and he has a miniscule lead over Cincinnati's Nick Castellanos, who is at .31951. Yuli Gurriel leads the AL at .3162, and has a miniscule lead over teammate Michael Brantley's .3160. In addition, Oakland's Starling Marte is at .322 and has almost enough plate appearances to qualify. Since he came from Miami, he won't have enough plate appearances to qualify in either league, so he could lead MLB in batting average without leading either league. People who go to Baseball-Reference's yearly leaders page that has the AL and NL leader in a statistic may assume that whoever had the better value was the MLB leader, but that is not guaranteed to be true because players change leagues.

The Cy Young Predictor at https://www.espn.com/mlb/features/cyyoung also has something very close. White Sox closer Liam Hendriks leads MLB at 144.74, and Dodgers ace Walker Buehler leads the NL at 144.72. There is a 12 point victory bonus for being on a first place team, which Hendriks has and Buehler doesn't. When calculating the pace of a player with a victory bonus, you have to subtract the bonus, divide by his team's amount of games, multiply by 162, and add the bonus. You have to do that because if you just divided by his team's amount of games and multiplied by 162, it would be projecting the victory bonus to increase. Hendriks is on pace for 178.7, and Buehler is on pace to lead MLB with 183.2. Furthermore, since not all teams have played the same amount of games, even if the top two both have or both do not have the victory bonus, the leader may not be on pace to finish first if the gap is small and his team has played more games.
                    WOW. You are the best and I knew this was wrong but it fun playing during the games. I think Stathead used to be free but now it costs so I don't have an account. I use fangraphs most of the time for players and team stats (my go to). My error was I thought GS was games saved but it meant games started. I don't think we will see many more of these 16 plus inning games with this new rule (which I don't like). The teams run out of pitchers and anyone available to pitch but the games are exciting. Yep. Greene came close to glory but Burt Hooten seems to have this record. Thanks. I learn a lot from you and will play with this info tonight.

I may like Liam Hendriks but if Moe NEVER got the Cy Young I would be pissed it he got it. The Cy Young should be ONLY for starting pitchers and MVP be for the everyday player. Cole is my favorite and I want him to get this....

thanks for the post
                    Last edited by bucky; 08-31-21, 07:45 AM. Reason: Moe not getting the Cy Young

Comment

I read on Twitter that if Robbie Ray wins the Cy Young, he will be the fifth Cy Young winner who was on Detroit in 2014. He would join Justin Verlander, Max Scherzer, David Price, and Rick Porcello. That team also had Miguel Cabrera, J.D. Martinez, Victor Martinez, Torii Hunter, Ian Kinsler (1,999 hits), Joe Nathan (8th with 377 career saves), and Jim Johnson (he and Eric Gagne are the only pitchers with consecutive 50+ save seasons).

Comment

https://theathletic.com/2858463/2021...year-and-more/ has Jayson Stark's awards, which you have to pay to read. Appearances by Yankees are Judge fifth for MVP, Torres third for LVP, Cole second for Cy Young, and Heaney winning Cy Yuk. He has Cleveland's Emmanuel Clase fifth for Rookie of the Year, which made me check his statistics. He has 24 saves, a 1.31 ERA, and a 0.976 WHIP. The only previous rookie to have at least 24 saves an ERA under 1.50, and a WHIP under 1.000 was Jonathan Papelbon in 2006. While giving Manager of the Year to San Francisco's Gabe Kapler, Stark says that Baseball Prospectus expected San Francisco to win 75 games, and win fewer than Arizona, Los Angeles Angels, Minnesota, and Chicago Cubs. San Francisco's 106 wins are 2.12 times Arizona's 50. I don't know how long Baseball Prospectus has been around, but I wonder if this is the first time that a team got over twice as many wins as a team Baseball Prospectus thought would get more wins.

Comment

https://theathletic.com/2858463/2021...year-and-more/ has Jayson Stark's awards, which you have to pay to read. Appearances by Yankees are Judge fifth for MVP, Torres third for LVP, Cole second for Cy Young, and Heaney winning Cy Yuk. He has Cleveland's Emmanuel Clase fifth for Rookie of the Year, which made me check his statistics. He has 24 saves, a 1.31 ERA, and a 0.976 WHIP. The only previous rookie to have at least 24 saves an ERA under 1.50, and a WHIP under 1.000 was Jonathan Papelbon in 2006. While giving Manager of the Year to San Francisco's Gabe Kapler, Stark says that Baseball Prospectus expected San Francisco to win 75 games, and win fewer than Arizona, Los Angeles Angels, Minnesota, and Chicago Cubs. San Francisco's 106 wins are 2.12 times Arizona's 50. I don't know how long Baseball Prospectus has been around, but I wonder if this is the first time that a team got over twice as many wins as a team Baseball Prospectus thought would get more wins.
                          It’s been around at least 20 years. I had a subscription back in the day when Nate Silver was still doing the PECTOA projections. But my guess is yes this is the first time.
                          Baseball is life;
                          the rest is just details.

Comment

Eddie Robinson, 100 died. He was on 1948 WC Cleveland Indians and 1955 pennant winning Yankees. Former Rangers GM. Was the oldest former MLB player. Not sure who is oldest now.

Comment

Originally posted by Portbb View Post
                              Eddie Robinson, 100 died. He was on 1948 WC Cleveland Indians and 1955 pennant winning Yankees. Former Rangers GM. Was the oldest former MLB player. Not sure who is oldest now.
                              https://www.baseball-almanac.com/pla...ll_Players.php

Looks like George Elder has take the mantle of oldest living former MLB player.
                              Baseball is life;
                              the rest is just details.

Comment

Carlos Correa, Yuli Gurriel, Alex Bregman and Jose Altuve have played 61 (and counting) postseason games together. The most of any four teammates in MLB history. Surprising. I thought some Yankees team post 1995 would be first.

Comment

Working...
                                X