X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Portbb
    replied
    Originally posted by Donnybaseball72 View Post

My parents are still NYT home delivery customers so I can going try to see if they will give me their sign in credentials to access The Atlantic.
    Yes. I also gave the info to my son. He loves the Athletic.

Leave a comment:

• JDPNYY
    replied
    Originally posted by HelloNewman View Post
    Have yourself a day, Brian Reynolds. Possible trade target is 3-for-4 today with 3 home runs and 6 RBIs. Game's not over.
    Brian will say the cost was too high and the Astros will get him for a Single A pitcher on his 3rd Tommy John surgery with a bad shoulder.

Leave a comment:

• HelloNewman
    replied
    Have yourself a day, Brian Reynolds. Possible trade target is 3-for-4 today with 3 home runs and 6 RBIs. Game's not over.

Leave a comment:

• Donnybaseball72
    replied
    Originally posted by Portbb View Post
    The Athletic subscription is now free for all NY Times home delivery customers. I must say a newspaper needs to stay relevant and they are doing their best to remain viable.
    My parents are still NYT home delivery customers so I can going try to see if they will give me their sign in credentials to access The Atlantic.

Leave a comment:

• Portbb
    replied
    The Athletic subscription is now free for all NY Times home delivery customers. I must say a newspaper needs to stay relevant and they are doing their best to remain viable.

Leave a comment:

• HelloNewman
    replied
    Angels win! Their long national nightmare is over.

Leave a comment:

• RYMASTER or Ryan_Yankees
    replied
    Angels fire Joe Maddon.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/...maddon-manager

Leave a comment:

• Portbb
    replied
    Except the whole point of my post was the hypothetical, why isn't it tried more often, since one day someone's bound to get to the bag before the force-out? You've responded by fixating on the specific Gorman play and repeatedly posting the force rule, which is irrelevant to my question.
    It wasn’t irrelevant to me. Until JL25 pointed it out. I thought the force rule was crucial. I was corrected by JL25. And I appreciate that.

Leave a comment:

• HelloNewman
    replied

Yes, and JL25and3 actually pointed to the correct ruling, not hypotheticals.
    Except the whole point of my post was the hypothetical, why isn't it tried more often, since one day someone's bound to get to the bag before the force-out? You've responded by fixating on the specific Gorman play and repeatedly posting the force rule, which is irrelevant to my question.

Leave a comment:

• Portbb
    replied
    Man oh man. Yes, Gorman was forced. I never said he wasn't. I used him as a possible example of an ATTEMPT, a failed attempt, to reach the base safely by overrunning.

In the hypothetical that he had reached the base before the throw got there, or being tagged, he would be safe and the force would be removed, and he could only be retired by being tagged on the overrun, which might buy a second or two for a speedy runner from third to reach home before the tag was applied.

As to Gorman's motives, he looked to me like he was running hard through the base but who knows. Anyway, it's not relevant to my hypothetical.

If it can't be done, it would be nice to know what the rule is, but please don't post the force rule for the fourth time because that's not it.
    Yes, and JL25and3 actually pointed to the correct ruling, not hypotheticals.

Leave a comment:

• Portbb
    replied
    Originally posted by JL25and3 View Post

5.09 (b)(6). "The force is removed as soon as the runner touches the base to which he is forced to advance."
    Thanks. It's not pertinent in the example in question since Gorman was out before reaching second base. And the whole craziness of not scoring was caused by the lead runner NOT TOUCHING third base while trying to score. Crazy play.

Leave a comment:

• HelloNewman
    replied

It bureaucratic to me, doesn't have to be to anyone else. No one is doing it because it can't be done. The bolded statement is inaccurate.

"Any out, tag or touching the force base on a forced runner is a force out. The run does not count because the runner is forced to advance by the batter constituting a "force out". (Gorman had to leave first as the batter put the ball in play). A run cannot score on a force play that results in a third out of an inning. "

Gorman, being 22 and a rookie just happened not to slide into second base in the play you described but stood up into the base. Seems like he made an assumption he'd be out and didn't want to bother sliding.
    Man oh man. Yes, Gorman was forced. I never said he wasn't. I used him as a possible example of an ATTEMPT, a failed attempt, to reach the base safely by overrunning.

In the hypothetical that he had reached the base before the throw got there, or being tagged, he would be safe and the force would be removed, and he could only be retired by being tagged on the overrun, which might buy a second or two for a speedy runner from third to reach home before the tag was applied.

As to Gorman's motives, he looked to me like he was running hard through the base but who knows. Anyway, it's not relevant to my hypothetical.

If it can't be done, it would be nice to know what the rule is, but please don't post the force rule for the fourth time because that's not it.

Leave a comment:

• JL25and3
    replied

Where does it say that? Taking the force off? “Any out on a forced runner is a forced out.” As far as I’ve read it’s silent on placement of the runner. Only that he’s out and the run does not score.
    5.09 (b)(6). "The force is removed as soon as the runner touches the base to which he is forced to advance."

Leave a comment:

• Portbb
    replied
    Originally posted by JL25and3 View Post

The rule you're quoting seems to pertain to any out made before the runner reaches second. If he overruns the bag, it’s because he’s already gotten there safely, so of course the force is off. Otherwise the fielder wouldn’t even have to tag him.
    Where does it say that? Taking the force off? “Any out on a forced runner is a forced out.” As far as I’ve read it’s silent on placement of the runner. Only that he’s out and the run does not score.

Leave a comment:

• JL25and3
    replied

It bureaucratic to me, doesn't have to be to anyone else. No one is doing it because it can't be done. The bolded statement is inaccurate.

"Any out, tag or touching the force base on a forced runner is a force out. The run does not count because the runner is forced to advance by the batter constituting a "force out". (Gorman had to leave first as the batter put the ball in play). A run cannot score on a force play that results in a third out of an inning. "

Gorman, being 22 and a rookie just happened not to slide into second base in the play you described but stood up into the base. Seems like he made an assumption he'd be out and didn't want to bother sliding.
    The rule you're quoting seems to pertain to any out made before the runner reaches second. If he overruns the bag, it’s because he’s already gotten there safely, so of course the force is off. Otherwise the fielder wouldn’t even have to tag him.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X