X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sjb23
    replied
    Originally posted by ymike673 View Post

I still believe that spring training will start 2 weeks late but the regular season will start on time.
    This needs to be resolved in the next 30 days for camps to be open March 1, I think.

Leave a comment:

• ymike673
    replied
    Originally posted by sjb23 View Post
    Almost all the folks on MLB radio think ST will not start on time.

These knuckleheads (both sides) live in their own little world and really don't care about the fans that follow them - where the revenues come from.

Greed and power will be the downfall of humanity.

^^^ I know that's a bit dramatic, but I really believe it's true ^^^
    I still believe that spring training will start 2 weeks late but the regular season will start on time.

Leave a comment:

• sjb23
    replied
    Almost all the folks on MLB radio think ST will not start on time.

These knuckleheads (both sides) live in their own little world and really don't care about the fans that follow them - where the revenues come from.

Greed and power will be the downfall of humanity.

^^^ I know that's a bit dramatic, but I really believe it's true ^^^

Leave a comment:

• sjb23
    replied
    Details On Today's CBA Negotiations - MLB Trade Rumors

Ronald Blum of The Associated Press reports that the session lasted roughly an hour, with the league presenting its proposal, and the players then agreeing to make an official response and counter-proposal at an unspecified future bargaining session.

Baby steps.

OK, so both sides have now presented their "low-ball" offers. Round 1 is over. It only took about six weeks lol. It's time for the counterproposals and the compromises, hopefully next week.

I understand neither side is in a rush. But they certainly are irritating fans like me, who simply want to see what kind of team we'll be rooting for this season. Can anyone say "roster construction"?

I sure have renewed my interest in the NBA season while I (im)patiently wait....

Leave a comment:

• Portbb
    replied
    Originally posted by HelloNewman View Post
    Only article I was able to Google was a crappy article from the even crappier website "Fansided" but if Preston is questioning Ortiz vis a vis roids, good for him. That article was dizzyingly bad though (Wilson has "chosen violence" ... huh?)

If not for their status as the media's "golden darling" team, it would be remembered that the Red Sox of the late 1990s and early 2000s were notoriously linked to the early whispers on steroids. If memory serves (sometimes it doesn't): 1) Utility infielder Manny Alexander was caught in the late 1990s with a trunkfull of roids in his car. Unlikely the light-hitting Alexander was toting them all for personal use. 2) Red Sox journeyman reliever Paxton Crawford of that time vintage told of an incident where a hypo needle dropped out of a player's bag accidentally and the whole clubhouse laughed knowingly. 3) Red Sox infielder Lou Merloni talked about a meeting in which Sox players were coached on avoiding detection.

Preston Wilson finished #2 in NL ROY voting in 1999 and led the NL in RBIs in 2003 (OK he did it at Coors but he did lead). 10-year career, mostly as a regular. Surprised you don't remember him at all. Also known as the key trade piece when the Mets acquired Mike Piazza.
    And Preston Wilson is also Mookie Wilson's stepson.

Leave a comment:

• HelloNewman
    replied
    Originally posted by Yankee Tripper View Post
    I honestly don’t remember Preston Wilson’s career, but today I like him a little more.
    Only article I was able to Google was a crappy article from the even crappier website "Fansided" but if Preston is questioning Ortiz vis a vis roids, good for him. That article was dizzyingly bad though (Wilson has "chosen violence" ... huh?)

If not for their status as the media's "golden darling" team, it would be remembered that the Red Sox of the late 1990s and early 2000s were notoriously linked to the early whispers on steroids. If memory serves (sometimes it doesn't): 1) Utility infielder Manny Alexander was caught in the late 1990s with a trunkfull of roids in his car. Unlikely the light-hitting Alexander was toting them all for personal use. 2) Red Sox journeyman reliever Paxton Crawford of that time vintage told of an incident where a hypo needle dropped out of a player's bag accidentally and the whole clubhouse laughed knowingly. 3) Red Sox infielder Lou Merloni talked about a meeting in which Sox players were coached on avoiding detection.

Preston Wilson finished #2 in NL ROY voting in 1999 and led the NL in RBIs in 2003 (OK he did it at Coors but he did lead). 10-year career, mostly as a regular. Surprised you don't remember him at all. Also known as the key trade piece when the Mets acquired Mike Piazza.

Leave a comment:

• Yankee Tripper
    replied
    I honestly don’t remember Preston Wilson’s career, but today I like him a little more.

Leave a comment:

• Portbb
    replied
    Kyle Seager of the Mariners has announced his retirement at age 34. He had the rare feat of playing his entire career with one team.

Leave a comment:

• sjb23
    replied

That is true but probably the thing I hate the most about modern baseball is starting pitchers almost never pitching over 6-7 innings unless they are pitching a no-hitter.
    For the Yanks, only Cole averaged 6+IP in 2021. Montgomery & Taillon barely averaged 5 IP.

It'll be nice if Severino can make 30 starts and pitch about 160 innings, but they certainly shouldn't be counting on that. They need a starter that's more of a sure thing than Severino.

IMO the future of this game is in the hands of the coaches/trainers that help these pitchers build endurance and minimize arm & elbow problems, but maybe it's just going to be about a couple of aces and a bunch of guys that can go 2-3 innings every 2-3 days.

Leave a comment:

• ymike673
    replied

Ha! They hardly go more than 4 or 5 innings even in the regular season. Only a chosen few starters average 6 IP+ per outing during the season. The consistency of middle relievers is so important now. I'm hoping this season it'll be a strength of the Yankees. Loaisiga, Holmes and Luetge will be guys to watch. And it's probably Cortes' best role. A guy that can go the whole lineup once.
    That is true but probably the thing I hate the most about modern baseball is starting pitchers almost never pitching over 6-7 innings unless they are pitching a no-hitter.

Leave a comment:

• sjb23
    replied

Yes. Usually there are complaints that spring training is too long now. Especially since unlike the good old days like back in the 80's starting pitchers almost never go more than 4 or 5 innings in a SPT game.
    Ha! They hardly go more than 4 or 5 innings even in the regular season. Only a chosen few starters average 6 IP+ per outing during the season. The consistency of middle relievers is so important now. I'm hoping this season it'll be a strength of the Yankees. Loaisiga, Holmes and Luetge will be guys to watch. And it's probably Cortes' best role. A guy that can go the whole lineup once.

Leave a comment:

• bucky
    replied
    Originally posted by Donnybaseball72 View Post
    How were the Dodgers and Bellinger able to agree on a 1 year deal during a lockout?
    FYI
    • The deal was agreed upon before baseball went into a work stoppage on December 1 and has just now leaked out via ESPN's Jeff Passan and Kiley McDaniel. Bellinger will get a relatively meager $900,000 raise in his third year of arbitration eligibility after struggling to a .165/.240/.302 batting line with only 10 home runs and 36 RBI over 350 plate appearances in 2021 while pulling in a salary of $16.1 million. The 26-year-old former NL MVP is currently slated to reach free agency following the 2023 campaign.

SOURCE: ESPN.com
      Dec 23, 2021, 1:30 PM ET
    (I don't follow LAD - makes you think about signing a young stud long term to lock him up. I am sure he will rebound.)

Leave a comment:

• Donnybaseball72
    replied
    How were the Dodgers and Bellinger able to agree on a 1 year deal during a lockout?

Leave a comment:

• ymike673
    replied

I've heard a couple of soft deadline dates for making sure the regular season starts on time - all around the first couple of weeks in February. I suppose neither side thinks losing a week or two of spring training is a big deal.

I'm certainly looking forward to being able to follow the Hot Stove Season Part 2. In years past sometimes I enjoy it even more that the regular season. There's so much hope, and this year the Yanks have so many needs to address.
    Yes. Usually there are complaints that spring training is too long now. Especially since unlike the good old days like back in the 80's starting pitchers almost never go more than 4 or 5 innings in a SPT game.

Leave a comment:

• sjb23
    replied

They want their holiday break. No reason for any hard negotiations until January. It sucks but that's the way it is.
    I've heard a couple of soft deadline dates for making sure the regular season starts on time - all around the first couple of weeks in February. I suppose neither side thinks losing a week or two of spring training is a big deal.

I'm certainly looking forward to being able to follow the Hot Stove Season Part 2. In years past sometimes I enjoy it even more that the regular season. There's so much hope, and this year the Yanks have so many needs to address.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X