Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2021 MiLB news and notes...

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Dermis Garcia? Yes?

    Comment


      Originally posted by Jace View Post

      You're responding to what, 3 different people tell you that relentless negativity has made the forum less enjoyable? What's not to see? To me, it seems like many don't enjoy baseball the same anymore - even the wins seem to upset people. Imagine if the Yankees had had a losing season in the past 30 years.

      We all know they are a flawed team, but these days flawed (but still talented) seems to mean worthy of constant sneering derision. It feels like a political argument rather than one about a sport for enjoyment (one we go to to escape politics for a minute). You can't win them all... but you CAN complain about them all. People obviously are free to do that, just not as fun to take part in.

      All that said... cool about Glenn Otto. I'm assuming age 25 in AA means that he's a semi-longshot to be a real MLB starter, but 14Ks out of 16 outs / 19 total batters faced is intense.
      Yes, literally three. And I'm sure there are several others. The fact that many don't enjoy baseball the same anymore is kind of the point. I don't think that's because of some massive swell here of people that have the nerve to post non-positive comments. It's because there is a material drop off in the number of people who have a positive outlook on the team at the moment. You've been super active here long enough to know that there was plenty of griping about Vernon Wells, and Joe Girardi, and trading Austin Jackson, and signing Jacoby Ellsbury, and playing Stephen Drew, and not extending Cano, and not including Nunez in a deal for Cliff Lee, and... and... and...

      I think I have a fairly balanced POV on this team and past teams; if anything I've been taken to task here for defending Cashman and certain individual players over the years. But it's fine. It's a dialogue, not a group therapy session.

      I truly feel like this is a manifestation of the front office's shift in philosophy since GSIII. I've said for some time that treating this team like a cash cow is going to have an impact on fans. The front office has pivoted to "the playoffs are a crapshoot" to excuse the lack of killer instinct to finish off rosters. The front office says "you don't need a team of all stars to win" which while true, ignores the fact that star players and personalities also create excitement and intrigue even outside the lines.

      This team has gotten a 42 sOPS+ from 1B, 82 from 2B, 84 from SS, 62 from LF, 65 from CF. The other day the starting lineup had 7 of 9 people batting under the Mendoza Line to start the game. When people talk about those concerns, of course there is going to be some negativity. Conversely, the rotation has been great. When people talk about that, there should be no shortage of positivity. I just objected the other day about someone saying the rotation "has been an utter disaster" or something by posting some statistics showing it's been a top 3ish rotation so far this year. If you see unwarranted negativity, counter it with facts rather than complaints. I don't visit many other Yankee discussion boards, but I'd be willing to bet that any that are filled with people that have half the baseball knowledge as those that are members here are not filled with exclusively sunshiny posts.


      Comment


        Originally posted by roysuniverse View Post
        Luis Gil: 4.2 IP, 2 H, 0 ER, 1 BB, 9 K
        Last 2 starts 8.2 IP, 6 H, 0 ER, 1 BB, 17 K

        Comment


          Originally posted by sjb23 View Post

          I agree. Gil and Medina are a couple of guys who could wind up better than Deivi Garcia IMO. Exciting times may very well be ahead.
          Medina has ace stuff. He just needs to figure out how to command it.

          Comment


            Originally posted by mbn007 View Post

            Truth is, Hauver did almost all his damage in the first 5-6 games. he has really struggled this past week+
            Since his last HR game his OBP is .447 not counting today game which he went 1-5 with a double. His BB/ K is 11/10. His OPS is .818 in those 'struggling' period.

            That's really good actually.



            Comment


              How would you compare Medina vs Gil? Both seem to have very similar profiles.
              [SIZE=3]NYY Triforce[/SIZE]
              [SIZE=3][/SIZE]
              [SIZE=3]Phil Hughes[/SIZE]
              [SIZE=3]Joba Chamberlain[/SIZE]
              [SIZE=3]Ian Kennedy[/SIZE]

              Comment


                Originally posted by ppa79 View Post
                How would you compare Medina vs Gil? Both seem to have very similar profiles.
                From what i have seen of both , which is limited from last year .Medina I saw 2 seasons ago has really filled out a bit, Medina has better velo, Easy 98-101 and works with a 12-6 curve. Gil Is 96-98 hitting higher and works off of his FB with a Slider and CU. Medina seems to keep his velo up over 4-5 innings where Gil IMO may be best suited as a Reliever. I would love both as starters though.

                Comment


                  Originally posted by Yankyfan View Post

                  From what i have seen of both , which is limited from last year .Medina I saw 2 seasons ago has really filled out a bit, Medina has better velo, Easy 98-101 and works with a 12-6 curve. Gil Is 96-98 hitting higher and works off of his FB with a Slider and CU. Medina seems to keep his velo up over 4-5 innings where Gil IMO may be best suited as a Reliever. I would love both as starters though.
                  Nice comparison. Yanks love these high-velo guys. IMO Domingo German is opening their eyes to what type of pitchers they're trying to develop. I hope there's a #5 spot in the 2022 rotation for a couple of guys to compete for.
                  "Somebody once asked me if I ever went up to the plate trying to hit a home run. I said, 'Sure, every time.'" -- Mickey Mantle

                  Comment


                    Originally posted by sjb23 View Post

                    Nice comparison. Yanks love these high-velo guys. IMO Domingo German is opening their eyes to what type of pitchers they're trying to develop. I hope there's a #5 spot in the 2022 rotation for a couple of guys to compete for.
                    High velo guy to watch is Waldichuk..6-4 lefty who is mid-high 90's from the left side!! So hard to come by. He has a heavy ball but at 23 i think needs to go up and see what's there.

                    Comment


                      Originally posted by Yankyfan View Post

                      High velo guy to watch is Waldichuk..6-4 lefty who is mid-high 90's from the left side!! So hard to come by. He has a heavy ball but at 23 i think needs to go up and see what's there.
                      What's his secondary pitches? any plus-plus pitches? A starter needs at least a 3-pitch repertoire these days. A tall lefty would be welcome ala Montgomery.
                      "Somebody once asked me if I ever went up to the plate trying to hit a home run. I said, 'Sure, every time.'" -- Mickey Mantle

                      Comment


                        Originally posted by sjb23 View Post

                        What's his secondary pitches? any plus-plus pitches? A starter needs at least a 3-pitch repertoire these days. A tall lefty would be welcome ala Montgomery.
                        CB, Slider, and CU are close...Needs control to improve and he is improving.

                        Comment


                          Waldichuk: 4.1, 1 H, 0 ER, 1 BB, 10 K

                          Comment


                            https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8YTA75Vc7HA

                            Tried out the slo-mo video today. Here is Waldichuk in slo-mo. Uploading a bunch more to the Pinstriped Prospects YouTube.
                            Get the Yankees prospect coverage you deserve at http://www.pinstripedprospects.com/!

                            Comment


                              Florial homers.

                              Comment


                                Peraza 2-4, 2B, R, RBI, BB

                                He's hitting .313/.396/.597 with 9 SB (only 1 CS) so far this season.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X