Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2021 MiLB news and notes...

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Originally posted by Yankees1962 View Post

    He's been here too long as GM! The baseball operations need to be revamp with new leadership. Preferably, from outside the Yankee organization.
    Agreed! Its time.
    Cashman told Accorsi, [B]I feel the responsibility of millions of Yankee fans on my shoulders, fans who take this very seriously and for which every game is very important. I think of that every day[/B].

    Comment


      It's so frustrating because the package is well negotiated and palatable for a star player.

      Gallo is so iffy as a star player though. Production looks good this year, but so volatile historically, and not a good hitter even when he's productive. He's a solid piece, but this team is so flawed otherwise, Gallo isn't some panacea.

      Duran, Smith, Otto, and Hauver for a 5.5 WAR left handed power guy that can play almost everywhere, is in his prime, and has a year of control left is a pretty damn good deal on paper. When you start to dig into the details though it Gallo gets a bit sketchy.
      Jaret Wright's 2005 Cy Young Season: 20-3, 3.04 ERA

      Comment


        Very happy that nobody even mentioned Austin Wells in this trade. Seems like he goes under the radar and thats ok with me

        Comment


          Originally posted by b_joseph View Post
          Very happy that nobody even mentioned Austin Wells in this trade. Seems like he goes under the radar and thats ok with me
          I'm happy they kept Wells, as well as Ryder green, and all the big names, like Jasson, Volpe, Schmidt, Devi, Gil, Peraza, Florial, and a few others, out of this deal.

          That said, they paid a very premium price for 1.3 years of Gallo. Duran has swing and miss in his ABs, but he has always seemed to hit, except for 2018. Always liked Otto, but the injuries.... Josh Smith is the type of lefty that makes contact, and seems to be able to handle 2nd well. Hauver had that insane opening 2 weeks this year, but still has a solid line. Not sure about his position, as I have read blurbs that he needs work in the filed.

          At least they thinned out the Rule 5 list for this coming November

          Comment


            Originally posted by b_joseph View Post
            Very happy that nobody even mentioned Austin Wells in this trade. Seems like he goes under the radar and thats ok with me
            I think the Yankees likely make him untouchable like Dominguez, Peraza and Volpe, etc. Too early to give up a last year first round pick who is hitting alright.

            Comment


              I'm holding my breath for the Story trade. He's not playing well, so I don't think the interest is very high. However, the Rockies need to sell it to their fanbase, so they need to get a decent package back, which means they'll eat the money left on the deal, which in turn means the Yankees will be all over it.

              They better not give up Schmidt for him. I think it's arguable whether Story actually helps. You are just moving Gleyber's bad defense from SS to 2B. Is Story much an offensive upgrade to Odor this season? What happens when Voit comes back?

              EDIT: Insane stat. Joey Gallo has 1 Sac Fly in entire career.
              Calmer than you are

              7/30/2017: The day the Minnesota Twins bought a prospect from the New York Yankees.

              Comment


                Sweeney in the FCL lineup today. Single in his first pro AB

                Edit: Cowles, Hardman and Richardson in lineup too.

                Comment


                  Originally posted by ClownPickle View Post
                  I'm holding my breath for the Story trade. He's not playing well, so I don't think the interest is very high. However, the Rockies need to sell it to their fanbase, so they need to get a decent package back, which means they'll eat the money left on the deal, which in turn means the Yankees will be all over it.

                  They better not give up Schmidt for him. I think it's arguable whether Story actually helps. You are just moving Gleyber's bad defense from SS to 2B. Is Story much an offensive upgrade to Odor this season? What happens when Voit comes back?

                  EDIT: Insane stat. Joey Gallo has 1 Sac Fly in entire career.
                  Don't get Story rumors either, unless they plan to move Torres or Urshela before the deadline

                  It's hard to hit a sac fly on a HR, strikeout or walk

                  Comment


                    Originally posted by Gusto View Post
                    Sweeney in the FCL lineup today. Single in his first pro AB

                    Edit: Cowles, Hardman and Richardson in lineup too.
                    And Bowman. All of the position players drafted this year are in the lineup today (edit: except for Rice, the catcher from Dartmouth). Wonder how long they will stick around in the FCL before getting bumped up to the Tarpons? I figure there will be some more movement after the trade deadline dust settles.

                    Comment


                      Originally posted by Gusto View Post

                      Don't get Story rumors either, unless they plan to move Torres or Urshela before the deadline

                      It's hard to hit a sac fly on a HR, strikeout or walk
                      Cashman traded for a SS and put him at 3B. He signed a GG 2B and put him at 1B. He traded for a RF and put him at DH. So I wouldn't be surprised if he trades for Story and puts him at C.

                      Comment


                        Originally posted by Gusto View Post
                        Sweeney in the FCL lineup today. Single in his first pro AB

                        Edit: Cowles, Hardman and Richardson in lineup too.
                        Game stopped early, but Sweeney was 1-1, BB, SB in his debut.
                        Jaret Wright's 2005 Cy Young Season: 20-3, 3.04 ERA

                        Comment


                          what's the consensus on the draft? seems a couple of good arms but shaky first rounder again? totally forgot when the draft was this year. COVID is creating a time warp!
                          I'm NO american born confused desi, but i love my yanks!

                          Comment


                            How would you guys rate Josh Smith? He was one guy I didn't want to lose. However, I could be overrating him. I thought he was a good hitter. Does he have defensive issues? Do you think he will hit a wall when he gets to the upper levels?

                            How does he compare with Sweeney?
                            [SIZE=3]NYY Triforce[/SIZE]
                            [SIZE=3][/SIZE]
                            [SIZE=3]Phil Hughes[/SIZE]
                            [SIZE=3]Joba Chamberlain[/SIZE]
                            [SIZE=3]Ian Kennedy[/SIZE]

                            Comment


                              Originally posted by ppa79 View Post
                              How would you guys rate Josh Smith? He was one guy I didn't want to lose. However, I could be overrating him. I thought he was a good hitter. Does he have defensive issues? Do you think he will hit a wall when he gets to the upper levels?

                              How does he compare with Sweeney?
                              He's now the #7 prospect for the Rangers:

                              "Smith has outstanding bat-to-ball skills, controlling the strike zone well while making hard contact to all fields. His bat speed and the loft in his left-handed stroke create solid raw power that could translate into 20-homer power as he gets stronger. He could provide a similar amount of steals thanks to his solid to plus speed and his instincts on the bases.

                              While many scouts think Smith's range would fit better at second base, he has a chance to stick at shortstop. He's more of a steady than a flashy defender with reliable hands and a good internal clock that helps him get the job done. His solid arm strength plays up with his quick release."

                              Rangers Top Prospects (mlb.com)

                              The 3 others also made Texas' Top 30
                              "Somebody once asked me if I ever went up to the plate trying to hit a home run. I said, 'Sure, every time.'" -- Mickey Mantle

                              Comment


                                Originally posted by ppa79 View Post
                                How would you guys rate Josh Smith? He was one guy I didn't want to lose. However, I could be overrating him. I thought he was a good hitter. Does he have defensive issues? Do you think he will hit a wall when he gets to the upper levels?

                                How does he compare with Sweeney?
                                I love Smith...Smart planned at bats, Good Gap power and could be a 10-15 hr guy. Nice kid. I think 2nd will be his best position. I also Hate to see Junk go as well. Top arm with make up to be a good RP.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X