2021 MiLB news and notes...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TheHugeUnit2 View Post

There's so many guys that need to be protected this year. I don't blame cashman for trading away so many guys this deadline. Most were rule 5 guys other than Smith. Does Breaux and Pereira are guys I would keep and add. I could see Sauer not being added and not taken either.
    They should also seriously consider Donny Sands to replace Higgy. Unless there are issues with his defensive abilities, he has a much better approach at the plate than Higgy, and I think his contact abilities will translate well at the next level.

Comment

Originally posted by Yankees1962 View Post
      BA's current top 30 write up with Pereira ranked as Yankees #18 prospect:

18. Everson Pereira | OF

Born: Apr 10, 2001
      Bats: R Throws: R
      Ht.: 5'10" Wt.: 191
      Drafted/Signed: Venezuela, 2017.
      Signed By: Roney Calderon.
      Minors: .313/.411/.693 | 17 HR | 9 SB | 163 AB

TRACK RECORD: The Yankees spent big money on their 2017 international class, including $1.5 million on Pereira, who jumped over the Dominican Summer League in favor of a stateside pro debut at Rookielevel Pulaski. He played there all season as a 17-year-old and ranked No. 7 among the league's Top 20 prospects. His 2019 season, spent in the New York-Penn League, was cut short by a severely sprained ankle.

SCOUTING REPORT: Like many Venezuelans, Pereira was stuck in the U.S. once the novel coronavirus pandemic shut down the sport. Instead, he's been training in Orlando, Fla. Though his numbers weren't impressive in his first two seasons, the Yankees were heartened by Pereira's above-average bat speed and exit velocities. Now, he needs to get more experience against quality breaking balls. He's got above-average speed and instincts, which helps him both in the outfield and on the bases.

THE FUTURE: The 2021 season will be doubly important for Pereira. Because he will be eligible for the Rule 5 Draft, the Yankees will need to decide whether he's worthy of 40-man protection. He has the upside of an everyday center fielder, but there's a long way to go.

MLB Pipeline's current top 30 write up with Pereira ranked as Yankees #13 prospect:

Everson
      Pereira
      OF, Hudson Valley Renegades, A+

Scouting grades: Hit: 50 | Power: 50 | Run: 55 | Arm: 55 | Field: 60 | Overall: 45

After two years in the international-spending penalty box, the Yankees faced no restrictions in 2017 and handed seven-figure bonuses to four position players, including $1.5 million for Pereira. The Venezuelan was the youngest regular (age 17) in the Rookie-level Appalachian League when he made his pro debut in 2018, and he would have been the youngest in the short-season New York-Penn League the next summer if hamstring and foot injuries hadn't limited him to 18 games. The Yankees have pushed him because he was considered extremely advanced for his age, but he batted just .236/.292/.350 in his first two pro seasons.

Pereira's performance and 33-percent strikeout rate reflect his youth and facing much older pitchers rather than his true hitting ability. He has the hand-eye coordination and quick right-handed swing to produce line drives to all fields. He has gotten stronger since signing, checking in at 200 pounds at New York's Dominican instructional league program last fall, and he could develop average power if he adds more loft to his stroke and pulls more pitches.

As Pereira has added muscle he has also slowed a bit, though he's still a solid runner. He's learning the nuances of basestealing and his instincts help him cover ground in center field. He also has solid arm strength and is capable of playing all three outfield spots.
      This never made sense to me. All his toolsy scouting grades rate from 50 to 60, yet the overall rating is 45?

Comment

Baseball Prospectus had a writeup of Everson Pereira, and it is quite favorable. If they don't protect this guy, I'll lose my .................

Everson Pereira, CF, New York Yankees (High-A Hudson Valley)

Pereira was signed for $1.5 million back in 2017, the same year the Rays inked Wander Franco. It is by now somewhat common knowledge that the Yankees wanted Franco, but for one reason or another had to settle for Pereira. Franco, of course, is already handling big-league pitching while Pereira—along with the rest of that year’s class, to be fair—is still trying to conquer the minors. This is yet another example of why we shouldn’t judge others by the standards of prodigies like Franco.

Pereira slashed .361/.446/.667 in 83 plate appearances for Low-A Tampa after spending spring in the complex, earning an early-August promotion to Hudson Valley, where he has maintained a .288/.407/.712 line over his 81 plate appearances there. He’s filled in his athletic 6-foot frame nicely, and I really like the swing—level and direct to the ball, but with just enough loft to maximize his return. Pereira has the plus bat speed to punish mistakes, but he’ll also stay on a breaking pitch away and drive it to right-field if that’s what he’s offered. The speed is above-average and he plays a smooth, low-stress center field.

Pereira has good-to-very good everyday player potential as an above-average defensive outfielder who hits twenty-something homers, about that many doubles, and has enough plate discipline and bat-to-ball ability to make it all happen. There is some whiff in his game and we are not exactly operating with a long statistical track record, so there’s a lot of possible variance here. Still, we know a lot more about Everson Pereira than we did even a few months ago, and the news is good. —Ben Spanier

Comment

Originally posted by False1 View Post
          This never made sense to me. All his toolsy scouting grades rate from 50 to 60, yet the overall rating is 45?
          This is quite common. It’s all about translating your tools into game action. It’s irrelevant to have tremendous power off a tee if you can’t apply it to actual pitching. Same with having great range in the outfield if you still make mental mistakes or routine errors.

Take a guy like Clint Frazier for example, his actual game has never lived up to his tools, even though he does have speed, contact ability, power, an arm, and at least theoretically the speed to have good defensive range. The speed doesn’t really translate to good base running nor does it give him great range in the outfield if he gets lousy jumps on the ball. I don’t mean to hate on Clint, but he’s just a recent example that made it to the majors. Plenty of guys that don’t even sniff the mlb.

All this said, I don’t think this applies to Pereira. The latest report would make me think he’s more of a 50-55 overall prospect.

Comment

I'm fairly confident that Pereira would be protected now. Vasquez is also likely. The question would be the below:-

Josh Breaux
            Donny Sands
            Anthony Garcia
            Brandon Lockridge
            Oswaldo Cabrera

Comment

Does anyone in the community know what's going on with Stephen Ridings? The Yankees placed him on SWB's 7 day injury list awhile ago but reasons undisclosed. Foley tweeted yesterday that
              Ridings is 'day to day' with rehab, with some days being good days and some not-so-good.' No idea what that means.

Comment

Florial heating up. .325/.395/.676 slash for September so far with a 1.071 OPS
                http://vimel.ru/e6748

Comment

Volpe with his 26th HR: 1-3, HR, 2 BB
                  Jaret Wright's 2005 Cy Young Season: 20-3, 3.04 ERA

Comment

Originally posted by kan_t View Post
                    I'm fairly confident that Pereira would be protected now. Vasquez is also likely. The question would be the below:-

Josh Breaux
                    Donny Sands
                    Anthony Garcia
                    Brandon Lockridge
                    Oswaldo Cabrera
                    Is Sands ready to be a major league backup catcher?

The whole catching situation for the Yankees is going to be a mess next year. I don't want Sanchez and think the Yankees should trade him.

Higgy is good defensively but a terrible hitter.
                    [SIZE=3]NYY Triforce[/SIZE]
                    [SIZE=3][/SIZE]
                    [SIZE=3]Phil Hughes[/SIZE]
                    [SIZE=3]Joba Chamberlain[/SIZE]
                    [SIZE=3]Ian Kennedy[/SIZE]

Comment

Originally posted by Yankyfan View Post
                      Pereira goes yard!!
                      And again today. His 19th on the year in just 176 ABs.

And it was CRUSHED:

https://twitter.com/HVRenegades/stat...45216534278147
                      Jaret Wright's 2005 Cy Young Season: 20-3, 3.04 ERA

Comment

Reminds me a bit of EE's swing. How he takes the right hand off the bat early.
                        Calmer than you are

7/30/2017: The day the Minnesota Twins bought a prospect from the New York Yankees.

Comment

Originally posted by Snatch Catch View Post

And again today. His 19th on the year in just 176 ABs.

And it was CRUSHED:

https://twitter.com/HVRenegades/stat...45216534278147
                          It's only 100 at bats but is this guy a top 100 prospect. I would rather have him than a lot of the guys on the bottom of that too 100 prospect list.
                          [SIZE=3]NYY Triforce[/SIZE]
                          [SIZE=3][/SIZE]
                          [SIZE=3]Phil Hughes[/SIZE]
                          [SIZE=3]Joba Chamberlain[/SIZE]
                          [SIZE=3]Ian Kennedy[/SIZE]

Comment

Watched Sanford take BP..Real lefty power....Could be a nice piece for YS...Needs some OF work though.

Comment

Volpe leads off with a dinger off a 93 mph FB
                              Last edited by Yankyfan; 09-17-21, 07:39 PM.

Comment

Sanford with a moon shot!!

Comment

Working...
                                X