X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yankyfan
    replied
    Originally posted by ymike673 View Post

Technically it's still the alternative site until May when the Scranton minor league season finally starts again.
    Yep May 4th

Leave a comment:

• philleotardo
    replied
    Cincinnati returns Kyle Holder

Leave a comment:

• Donnybaseball72
    replied
    Originally posted by sjb23 View Post

Do you know the difference between their "alt site" and Scranton?
    Alternative Site is just a temporary place until the minor league season opens in early May. My guess is they stay in Tampa until assigned to a team. Kind of like a giant Extended Spring Training.

Leave a comment:

• ymike673
    replied

Technically it's still the alternative site until May when the Scranton minor league season finally starts again.

Leave a comment:

• sjb23
    replied
    Originally posted by Yankyfan View Post
    The Yanks re signed Dietrich and Chirinos to alt site MIlb deals ...Nice

Leave a comment:

• Yankyfan
    replied
    The Yanks re signed Dietrich and Chirinos to alt site MIlb deals ...Nice

Leave a comment:

• sjb23
    replied
    Re: 2021 MiLB news and notes...

Originally posted by dpbddd99 View Post
    I keep reading nothing but good stuff about Peraza. He might be the reason why the Yanks are willing to have Gleyber keep the position warm for the next couple of seasons.

Leave a comment:

• dpbddd99
    replied

Article on why Yanks like Peraza

https://www.nj.com/yankees/2021/03/w...he-future.html

Leave a comment:

• Yankyfan
    replied

Yea SWB notified me the first game as of now will be May 4 th

Leave a comment:

• geodork
    replied

Originally posted by mbn007 View Post
    General question:

I heard a blurb on the radio last night that the AAA season, which was scheduled to start around Apr. 07, will be postponed for 3-4 weeks. This will allow the MLB to continue to use the "Alternate Site" scenario, similar to last season.

Anyone have confirmation on this?
    Yup. This delay has been confirmed all over the place. Stories and tweets should not be hard to find.

https://twitter.com/jjcoop36/status/...142592512?s=20

https://www.baseballamerica.com/stor...ites-in-april/

Leave a comment:

• mbn007
    replied

General question:

I heard a blurb on the radio last night that the AAA season, which was scheduled to start around Apr. 07, will be postponed for 3-4 weeks. This will allow the MLB to continue to use the "Alternate Site" scenario, similar to last season.

Anyone have confirmation on this?

Leave a comment:

• False1
    replied

Originally posted by Stache Fan View Post
    18 WAR over his cost controlled years for a $5M investment? Oh yeah.
    Actually I think you're understating the WAR for Gardner, no? I think it was 21.7 fWAR over his cost-controlled years (before he became a FA). And, that includes a lost season in 2012 due to an elbow injury. So I get your point, and I love Gardner and am in no way trying to demean his value. Especially in terms of ROI.

But, while getting that same production out of a $5.1MM signing bonus (plus whatever salary he'd accrue over his 7 cost controlled years) for Dominguez would be a good investment overall, I disagree that every GM would lock that in now rather than tolerate the risk/reward of seeing whether he can approximate his ceiling.

Outfielders that can be relied upon for 2.5 - 4ish WAR seasons (with an occasional boost) are valuable, but they can be found through more traditional means. Of the 53 OF that qualified in 2019, 29 had at least 2.5 WAR (more than half), and others were on pace to exceed that baseline on a rate basis.

What is hard to find are OF that can give you 6 - 8 WAR production, and the unicorns that give you 10 WAR production. When you can promote guys with that type of ability during cost-controlled seasons, it has the ability to alter the trajectory of a franchise in a way a Brett Gardner cannot.

Again, if Ja$$on becomes a Gardner-equivalent OFer by WAR then the Yankees made good and then some on their investment. I just disagree that 100% of GMs would sign up for that now. I bet many would actually let it ride and hope that he can be something more special.

Leave a comment:

• Stache Fan
    replied

Originally posted by False1 View Post
    Really? The Yankees gave a 17 year old Dominguez $5.1MM with the hope that in 4 to 5 years he might become Brett Gardner?

I think they're playing roulette, not Pai Gow. I don't think they drop that money on a kid like that if not for his ceiling specifically. I could be wrong, but I don't think I am.
    18 WAR over his cost controlled years for a $5M investment? Oh yeah.

Leave a comment:

• dpbddd99
    replied

Article touting Vargas' potential.

https://www.baseballamerica.com/stor...e-is-electric/

Leave a comment:

• False1
    replied

Kind of off-topic, but does the scout that helped get Dominguez signed get a piece of that $5.1M?

10% "commission" would be $510K. Yeah, I'd certainly play up the 5-tool thing and float Mike Trout's name when I turned in my scouting report.

Having said that, if there's a #2 starter available via trade for Dominguez, I'd re-invest that $5.1M, simply because it's probably easier to find another young 5-tool OF prospect than it is to find a #2 MLB starter.
    I'm pretty sure they're just salaried, and amazingly poorly at that. I remember years ago their were even lawsuits by scouts claiming they were not being paid minimum wage or overtime. But, I could be wrong or that may have changed. I would say though that overhyping a player to try and gain some commission would probably be a good way to shorten your career.

This is the old bird in the hand situation. Yes, a #2 starter has tremendous value and it's value you can capitalize on now. But, it will cost you more than an 18 year old prospect, and you're more than likely adding significant luxury tax considerations and/or only getting a short period of team control in a trade like that.

The allure of Ja$$on is that if he can approximate his ceiling you have something FAR more valuable than a typical starting pitching target both in terms of his everyday/positional value but even more so because of the long term cost control. That's a player you can build a ballclub around. Or, in another year or two, if he continues to develop as expected it's possible you could build a package around him for a #1.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X