X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

April 6, 1973: Yankees’ Ron Blomberg baseball’s first designated hitter

https://sabr.org/gamesproj/game/apri...gnated-hitter/

The following is a small slice from the web article:

...The crowd of 32,882 was about to witness baseball history. With the bases loaded, Ron Blomberg stepped into the batter’s box. It was the first-ever at-bat for baseball’s designated hitter. Ironically, Blomberg didn’t hit. He didn’t even swing the bat. He walked on four pitches. But he earned an RBI.
    ...Blomberg’s bat made its way to the National Baseball Hall of Fame. Of Blomberg’s base on balls, someone apparently in the press box quipped, “See, it’s added offense to the game already.” ...His second time up, he collected a broken-bat single. Hence, the first two bats he used “wound up in contrasting places — the first in the Hall of Fame, the second in the trash can.”
    ...Blomberg had a very good year. Combining work at first base (in 40 of his 100 games) and DH, he hit for a .329 average.
    "The Yankee is one who, if he once gets his teeth set on a thing, all creation can't make him let go." Ralph Waldo Emerson

I attended that game and the next two games. Yankees scored 3 runs in the first and with Stottlemyre on the mound looked like it was going to be a fun game. Sadly the Yankees lost 15-5. Sat way out in the RF grandstand.

Comment

Originally posted by ymike673 View Post
      I attended that game and the next two games..Sat way out in the RF grandstand..
      You had better seat than me...NONE ! LOL
      You were (and again are) so lucky to be able to get there and The Stadium, being so close.
      "The Yankee is one who, if he once gets his teeth set on a thing, all creation can't make him let go." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Comment

I listened to this game on a transistor radio under my desktop in 7th grade Social Studies. That very evening, I listened to John Sterling broadcast the New York Raiders in WHA hockey on WMCA radio.
        "Jerry, It's Frank Costanza. Mr. Steinbrenner is here. George is dead. Call me back."

Comment

Originally posted by hardrain View Post
          I listened to this game on a transistor radio under my desktop in 7th grade Social Studies. That very evening, I listened to John Sterling broadcast the New York Raiders in WHA hockey on WMCA radio.
          AH! The good old days. Made for some great memories.

Comment

Originally posted by hardrain View Post
            Raiders games were great. Just $2 to see a game in the blue seats at MSG

Comment

Raiders games were great. Just $2 to see a game in the blue seats at MSG
              oh yes -- I bet I saw you there a few times.
              "Jerry, It's Frank Costanza. Mr. Steinbrenner is here. George is dead. Call me back."

Comment

I attended that game and the next two games. Yankees scored 3 runs in the first and with Stottlemyre on the mound looked like it was going to be a fun game. Sadly the Yankees lost 15-5. Sat way out in the RF grandstand.
                Weren't they at Fenway?
                If you gotta a problem with Luis Cessa, you gotta a problem with me. And I suggest you let that one marinate.

Comment

Blomberg sure could rake against righthanded pitching. Staying healthy, fielding, and hitting lefthanded pitching was the challenge for him.
                  If you gotta a problem with Luis Cessa, you gotta a problem with me. And I suggest you let that one marinate.

Comment

Originally posted by fredgmuggs View Post

Weren't they at Fenway?
                    Yes the games were at Fenway. It was a different time. You could show up at Fenway even on opening day and get a seat the day of the game. Amtrak fare was around $10 one way and the hotels were not bad either.

Comment

Originally posted by fredgmuggs View Post
                      Blomberg sure could rake against righthanded pitching. Staying healthy, fielding, and hitting lefthanded pitching was the challenge for him.
                      They never really gave him a fair shot against lefties.

Comment

Working...
                      X