Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

October 11, 2006: Yankees Pitcher Cory Lidle Dies In Plane Crash

From nationalpastime.com:
    On October 11, 2006, a rainy mid-week afternoon in Manhattan, Yankees pitcher Cory Lidle and his flight instructor Tyler Stanger die as their four-seat plane crashes into an Upper East Side high-rise building. Manny Acta, the Mets third base coach, is not sure he will be able to go to his home after tonight's scheduled Game 1 of the NLCS at Shea Stadium, due to damage to the Belaire Condominiums caused by the crash.
    ==================================================================================
    Baseball Tragedy | Here’s how MLB Player Cory Lidle Crashed his Plane in New York City:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_rWWL-sGs1A

==================================================================================
    New York Plane Crash 2006-10-11:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hSRQIGlWICM

Cory Lidle (Biography):
    https://sabr.org/bioproj/person/cory-lidle/

Excerpts from the sabr.org article:
    "Cory Lidle pitched for seven teams in the major leagues, primarily as a starter, during nine seasons from 1997 to 2006. His life was cut short on October 11, 2006, when the Cirrus SR20 airplane he was piloting struck a building while attempting to make a turn over the East River in New York City.1 He was 34 years old and left behind a wife, Melanie, and their young son, Christopher."
    "Lidle was well aware of the dangers of flying small aircraft, which had taken the life of Yankees captain Thurman Munson in 1979. He mitigated the risk by purchasing a plane with an Airframe Parachute System, which could deploy in the event of an engine failure and bring the plane safely to the ground. He was also serious about developing his skills as a pilot; his instructor, Tyler Stanger, called Lidle his “best student,” adding “[h]e learned very, very quickly, and a lot of it is desire. He had huge desire.”"
    "Stanger was with Lidle on his fateful flight. They were flying north above the East River; as they approached the Roosevelt Bridge on the east side of the river, they decided to do a U-turn and return to the south. Apparently misjudging both the wind and the turn distance, they began the turn over Roosevelt Island, instead of a few hundred feet to the east over Queens. Not having enough room to complete the maneuver, they flew into an apartment building on the Upper East Side of Manhattan; both men perished. A Manhattan jury later found for the manufacturer in a civil case brought by the families of Lidle and Stanger."
    "Across major-league baseball, former teammates and coaches expressed their shock and sympathy for the Lidle family. An emotional Rick Peterson, Lidle’s former pitching coach, called the tragedy “horrific.” Billy Wagner penned an article about his grief for the New York Post. Former Devil Ray Fred McGriff, recalled Lidle as being “a good guy.” In Oakland, Barry Zito found time to tell bittersweet stories about happier days with Lidle, including “a time when Lidle had his twin brother, Kevin, wear his uniform to the bullpen and start throwing off the mound as a prank on former A’s pitching coach Rick Peterson."
    "The first time I remember seeing my father cry when I was a boy was the day after Thurman Munson died. When they had a ceremony for Munson at Yankee Stadium, my father sat in his chair in the living room and sobbed. I was nine at the time and just couldn’t understand why he was so upset. After all, he didn’t even like the Yankees. He explained to me that sometimes it is sad when a person dies, no matter who they are, even if they did play for the Yankees. When I got older, I understood what he was telling me. But it wasn’t until my trip home on a chilly, wet, October night, that I really felt what he meant."
    "Lidle pitched 1,322⅔ innings in the major leagues with a record of 82-72, 838 strikeouts, and an ERA of 4.57 (98 ERA+). In 2007, the City of West Covina erected a bronze statue of Lidle as a memorial to the fallen pitcher; he will forever wear the pinstripes of the New York Yankees. Today, the Cory Lidle Foundation raises “money for the Make A Wish Foundation … contribute[s] to the Mt. San Antonio Cory Lidle Memorial Scholarship, the Tyler Stanger Memorial Scholarship and establish[ed] the Cory Lidle High School Baseball Scholarship.”
    "The Yankee is one who, if he once gets his teeth set on a thing, all creation can't make him let go." Ralph Waldo Emerson
Working...
X