• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

September 21, 1957: Gail Harris Hits the Last Home Run for New York Giants

Gail Harris Stats
    https://www.baseball-almanac.com/pla...hp?p=harriga01
    Excerpts from the www.baseball-almanac.com article

"Boyd Gail Harris was a Major League Baseball player with the New York Giants (1955-1957) and Detroit Tigers (1958-1960)."

"During his time with the Detroit Tigers in the late-1950s, Gail Harris was standing at first base in a game against the rival New York Yankees. Manning his position in the infield of hallowed Yankee Stadium, the Abingdon native was overcome with the magnitude of the moment."

""Standing there at first base, I said to myself, 'Lord, oh mercy, Lou Gehrig stood in this same spot. And I'm just an old boy from Abingdon standing here,' " Harris said."

"Harris also made his living in the mecca of pro baseball. The Bronx had the Yankees. Brooklyn had the Dodgers. The rest of New York had the Giants. Harris was involved in the heated rivalries between the clubs."

"It was blood, boy," Harris said. "It didn't matter if you were in first place or not. … You had three distinct group of fans. Those people never went to the other parks. I know when we played the Dodgers, we had the [visiting] clubhouse in center field. People would stand there and throw cabbages and stuff. We'd go over to Ebbets Field and it would be the same way."

"Harris can vividly recall the events that unfolded on the afternoon of September 21, 1957."

"When he arrived at the ballpark, he sat out the first game as he expected. However, in the clubhouse before the second game, New York manager Bill Rigney told Harris he would be starting in the second game."

"All Harris did was go 4-for-5 with three runs scored, two home runs and seven RBIs. He blasted a three-run homer in the second inning off Pittsburgh starter Red Witt and added a solo shot in the fourth off Eddie O'Brien."

"They happened to throw it where I was swinging," Harris said jokingly."

"The homer off O'Brien would have historical implications. The smash was the last home run by a New York Giant player."

"The team relocated to San Francisco the following year."

"Harris played his last game in the majors on May 3, 1960."
    ===================================================================================================================

Gail Harris, last NY Giant to hit home run, dies
    https://www.si.com/mlb/2012/11/23/la...me-run-dies-ap
    Excerpts from the www.si.com article:

"GAINESVILLE, Va. (AP) - The last player to hit a home run for the New York Giants before they moved has died."

"A funeral home says former Major League Baseball player Gail Harris died at his Gainesville, Va., home on Nov. 14. He was 81."

"The final home run before the Giants moved to San Francisco in 1957 came against Pittsburgh. Harris played for the New York Giants and the Detroit Tigers between 1955 and 1960."
    ===================================================================================================================

Related nyyfansforum articles:

August 19, 1957: Giants' President Stoneham Announces Plan to Move NY Giants to SF
    http://nyyfansforum.sny.tv/forum/for...y-giants-to-sf

"The Yankee is one who, if he once gets his teeth set on a thing, all creation can't make him let go." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Is it known who hit the FIRST home run for the New York Giants? They date to the 1880s.
    I hid in the clouded wrath of the crowd, when they said "sit down" I stood up.

Comment

Originally posted by HelloNewman View Post
      Is it known who hit the FIRST home run for the New York Giants? They date to the 1880s.
      The only reference to to the first home run for the New York Giants that I have run across is the following:

MLB FRANCHISE FIRST HOME RUNS
      Player Who Hit the First Home Run for Every MLB Team
      https://www.baseball-almanac.com/firsts/first14.shtml

It shows John Ward as the first New York Giants home run on May 2, 1883:
      Giants N.L. John Ward 05-02-1883 9th New York

However, I haven't yet been able to find any other references to John Ward hitting that first New York Giants home run.
      Will continue to search further going forward.
      "The Yankee is one who, if he once gets his teeth set on a thing, all creation can't make him let go." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Comment

cool stuff, thanks

Comment

cool stuff, thanks
          I found another refernce to John Ward hitting the New York Giants first home run.
          (Please note that John Ward's full name was John Montgomery Ward.)

Pages 89 and 90 of the book "A Clever Base-Ballist: The Life and Times of John Montgomery Ward", written by Bryan Di Salvatore, states the following:

'After eight and a half innings, the score was still 2-2. Connor hit a pop foul with one out, but Hines, the catcher, gave him life with an error. Then Big Roger powdered the ball to deep center. Ohh, they threw him out at home. Lord of mercy, Lord of sorrows. Two down. Things looked bad, boyo, terrible bad. Then Ward came to the plate. A foul pop-up. But Hines dropped it! Ward had life. Then he smacked one to left over the fielder's head. Ward rounded first without thinking of stopping. There he went, around second, around third toward home. There was the throw. SAFE! A game-winning home run! In the bottom of the ninth! With two outs! The First Home Run in the History of the New York League team and the Polo Grounds Base Ball Field! He beat the throw by a whisker! He can fly! Oh that boy can fly!"

The book references the above excerpt in a description of a game on May 2, 1883 in which John Ward was a player for the New York Giants, referred in the excerpt as "...the New York League team...".
          This coincides with the reference cited in my previous post:

Player Who Hit the First Home Run for Every MLB Team
          https://www.baseball-almanac.com/firsts/first14.shtml

It shows John Ward as the first New York Giants home run on May 2, 1883:
          Giants N.L. John Ward 05-02-1883 9th New York

So, as it turns out, John Ward not only hit the first New York Giants home run, but it was a walk-off, inside-the-park home run. Absolutely amazing!

Thank you for your reply post asking your "Is it known who hit the FIRST home run for the New York Giants? They date to the 1880s." It resulted in the discovery of who it was and it's being a walk-off, inside-the-park home run.
          ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

By the way, I ran across the book "A Clever Base-Ballist: The Life and Times of John Montgomery Ward", written by Bryan Di Salvatore" at the following:

INTERNET ARCHIVE
          A clever base-ballist : the life and times of John Montgomery Ward
          https://archive.org/details/cleverba...0brya/mode/2up

Additionally, in case you're interested, the book is also available on eBay at:
          https://www.ebay.com/itm/37367033750...766cd946e43b6c

...and at Walmart at:
          https://www.walmart.com/ip/A-Clever-...1&gclsrc=3p.ds

Thanks again for your reply post.
          Sincerely appreciative.

Comment

I believe John Montgomery Ward also founded the Brotherhood, baseball's first players union, and the resulting Players League of 1890, which gave us the Polo Grounds. of 1890-1963.

Comment

I believe John Montgomery Ward also founded the Brotherhood, baseball's first players union, and the resulting Players League of 1890, which gave us the Polo Grounds. of 1890-1963.
              Very true as mentioned in the following sabr.org John Montgomery Ward bio:

John Montgomery Ward
              https://sabr.org/bioproj/person/john-montgomery-ward/
              Excerpts from the sabr.org article:

"Ward organized the first major-league players union in 1885 and was a tireless advocate for players’ rights...first and foremost, Ward is remembered as the driving force behind the employee-controlled Players League, the audacious but short-lived challenger to the preeminence of the National League and American Association."

"The larger destiny that awaited Ward was augured by the law degree that he had received from Columbia in May. While he would not practice law for another 10 years, Ward promptly put his legal training to good use. Along with teammates Jim O’Rourke, Tim Keefe, Roger Connor, and Buck Ewing — all, like Ward, sober, intelligent men — and others, he founded the first serious ballplayers union, the Brotherhood of Professional Baseball Players. Over the next five years, Ward would use his keen intellect, legal understanding, and fluid pen to air union grievances about the one-sidedness of the club owner-ballplayer relationship. In time, these were embodied in a magazine article entitled Is the Base-Ball Player a Chattel?, an incisive deconstruction of the Reserve Clause that gained widespread circulation.15 Growing in public prominence and the subject of much sports-page ink, Ward became, in relatively short order, the most important player in major-league baseball, wielding power and influence over National League stars and journeyman players alike, almost all of whom had become members of the Brotherhood, which Ward led."

Additionally, the following sabr.org article further confirms what you indicated in your post regarding John Montgomery Ward and the creation of the Polo Grounds:

Polo Grounds (New York)
              https://sabr.org/bioproj/park/Polo-Grounds-New-York/

Thanks again for all your great insights regarding the subject matter.

Comment

Working...
              X